Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2018 General Discussion

Hoosier

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

There's like 40 dbz over me and it is torrential rain.  

Dust Bowl II cancel?

But yeah, very tropical rains under some of the cells. Only got 1.25" here yesterday, but it seemed like more considering it rained on and off all day.

4 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Dust Bowl II cancel?

But yeah, very tropical rains under some of the cells. Only got 1.25" here yesterday, but it seemed like more considering it rained on and off all day.

You ready for the 80 degree dews coming next weekend?  :devilsmiley:

Euro and GFS both have widespread dews in the mid 70s to low 80s next week/weekend... entirely believable given the time of year and recent rains (with more to come by then).  My guess is that temps/heat indices will at least end up similar to the recent hot stretch, with certainly the potential to exceed in magnitude and/or duration.

19 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

It has been pretty wet this June, after a top-5 wettest May as well. Fortunately it hasn't all come at once, so we've been spared the widespread and damaging river flooding that took place ten years ago this month. Of course that stretch was also accompanied by tornado outbreaks, something this season as conspicuously lacked as we chasers/severe buffs are all too aware.

Yeah, at least not all of these heavy rain events have been cold, stratiform rains.  Madison themselves have seen over 20 days since May where they reported thunder.  Also, our best severe weather season can extend into July or even August.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Euro and GFS both have widespread dews in the mid 70s to low 80s next week/weekend... entirely believable given the time of year and recent rains (with more to come by then).  My guess is that temps/heat indices will at least end up similar to the recent hot stretch, with certainly the potential to exceed in magnitude and/or duration.

Yep. Also a 594-97 at times ridge. Interesting to see how high temps will get. Otherwise extreme dew points will likely cause widespread heat indexes of 110 plus 

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Record low max for the day is 55.  How does that happen?  :axe:

Yeah...I know the official station was right up against the lake when many of Chicago's April-June record low maxes were set...but that's crazy.  The lake water temps must have been very chilly in the late 1800s and early 1900s during the spring-early summer. 

I wonder how reliable the data is.

8 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Looks like today's high temp at ORD will only be 64. 

This is about 20 degrees below normal...which is hard to do in late June.

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Only made it to 67 today.  Picked up 0.20" overnight and today.  4.29" for June.

Just think, by Wednesday or so, ORD and MLI will be cranking out the 90's again.

• Haha 1

Yesterday we managed to briefly hit 74 at dtw before noon then it fell to the 60s during the afternoon. An overcast day but only sprinkles and a broad evening shower. Big rain bust here. It has been a very comfortable week after the heat last weekend. Still feels nice out but it's definitely high humidity despite temps in the 70s 

Overnight model runs more or less maintained the heat potential in the extended.  The most impressive relative to average was New England, with the Euro/GFS having max temps of 105-109, which would be in all-time/off the chart territory for those places.  Plenty of time for that to back off though... I'm sure residents there would appreciate some backing off given that air conditioning is not as prevalent.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Overnight model runs more or less maintained the heat potential in the extended.  The most impressive relative to average was New England, with the Euro/GFS having max temps of 105-109, which would be in all-time/off the chart territory for those places.  Plenty of time for that to back off though... I'm sure residents there would appreciate some backing off given that air conditioning is not as prevalent.

I don't know, except far northern New England, I would assume air conditioning is just as prevalent in most of New England as it is here. Just because summer is relatively short does not mean it doesn't get blistering hot at times. Even when it's Sunny and 80 out really you do need air conditioning to make it comfortable inside.

Idk how corn is looking elsewhere among the sub, but my goodness I’ve never seen the corn this far along so early in the season. The field corn is approaching 5’ already in some areas, and the farmers sweet corn patches has already tasseled with tiny ears visible already! Usually this doesn’t happen until around the first to maybe second week of July. 

48 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

sfctd.us_mw.thumb.png.58ba6c4bbb08bcaa8fe4c96e0e040312.png

Hoosier given the extremely heavy rainfall recently, and the corn crop ahead of schedule, would not be surprised to see some 80 DP pop up in the prone areas. 

Many areas in central Illinois, as well as northern Illinois have seen 5-8” of rain this month. 

One of the notable mets around here got this day wrong, it was a chamber of commerce, 10/10 day! :D  Plenty of sunshine, temps in the low 70s for most of the day, and a comfortable, calm evening.  It's the first quality weekend, and it's not only quality, but looks to be nearly perfect.

44 for today's low.  7th night in a row in the 40's. Today's point high is 59, with chilly ne winds off Superior. While I do not mind this weather, my 'maters are definitely not liking it.  In another month, the afternoon sun will begin to fall behind the trees on the hill and essentially end my garden sun. Time to start working on firewood!

17 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

Other than weak window units, a/c's are not standard across Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

I am lucky if I use my central ac half the summer in a typical year. If you get a nice cross breeze it isnt necessary outside of the hot spells. I have a portable ac in my upstairs bedroom that I use most summer nights because its warmer up there, but central air isnt necessary even here, window or portable units can do the trick. So really its just a personal preference. But when looking at this data, if someone in new england who doesnt have ac acts like its some freak anomaly when it gets warm, thats their own fault.

Burlington VT averages 8 days of 90F+ and 59 days of 80F+ 

Portland ME averages 5 days of 90F+ and 42 days of 80F+ 

Concord NH averages 13 days of 90F+ and 71 days of 80F+ (similar to Minneapolis & Detroit)

Marquette MI averages 3 days of 90F+ and 34 days of 80F+

Minneapolis MN averages 13 days of 90F+ and 71 days of 80F+

Detroit MI averages 13 days of 90F+ and 78 days of 80F+

Chicago IL averages 16 days of 90F+ and 81 days of 80F+

St Louis MO averages 46 days of 90F+ and 125 days of 80F+

Atlanta GA averages 46 days of 90F+ and 146 days of 80F+

Dallas TX averages 105 days of 90F+ and 183 days of 80F+

New Orleans LA averages 82 days of 90F+ and 196 days of 80F+

Miami FL averages 91 days of 90F+ and 294 days of 80F+

*the quick data search that I did for fun is using rolling 30 yr normals (1988-2017)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I am lucky if I use my central ac half the summer in a typical year. If you get a nice cross breeze it isnt necessary outside of the hot spells. I have a portable ac in my upstairs bedroom that I use most summer nights because its warmer up there, but central air isnt necessary even here, window or portable units can do the trick. So really its just a personal preference. But when looking at this data, if someone in new england who doesnt have ac acts like its some freak anomaly when it gets warm, thats their own fault.

Burlington VT averages 8 days of 90F+ and 59 days of 80F+ 

Portland ME averages 5 days of 90F+ and 42 days of 80F+ 

Concord NH averages 13 days of 90F+ and 71 days of 80F+ (similar to Minneapolis & Detroit)

Marquette MI averages 3 days of 90F+ and 34 days of 80F+

Minneapolis MN averages 13 days of 90F+ and 71 days of 80F+

Detroit MI averages 13 days of 90F+ and 78 days of 80F+

Chicago IL averages 16 days of 90F+ and 81 days of 80F+

St Louis MO averages 46 days of 90F+ and 125 days of 80F+

Atlanta GA averages 46 days of 90F+ and 146 days of 80F+

Dallas TX averages 105 days of 90F+ and 183 days of 80F+

New Orleans LA averages 82 days of 90F+ and 196 days of 80F+

Miami FL averages 91 days of 90F+ and 294 days of 80F+

*the quick data search that I did for fun is using rolling 30 yr normals (1988-2017)

Cool stats!  I'm not sure my location even averages one 90 degree temp.  I've been here 5 years and haven't seen anything warmer than 87, and last summer (I'd have to check to be sure) only managed 80+ four times.

41 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

You're prolly aware of this stat:

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=447302&cityname=L'Anse-Twp-Michigan-United-States-of-America

Though I actually just found it. It's labeled as 'L'anse Township' but it's actually out in the Huron's somewhere around Herman, maybe. It's also 1,700ish feet elevation, so basically on par with you. Gives some decent numbers for high elevation western UP.

Hey, that's awesome, thanks!  I had never seen those stats before, but yeah, that does pretty much mirror my climate... Although I think I'm a little more prone to lake breezes and other cooling effects of the lake.

I think that’s  the co-op observer near Herman. 

Still only 47 at 10 am with the wc periodically dropping into the upper 30's.