Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

3 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

It should be a fairly nice weekend in the metro area. Unless the models are wrong most if not all of the rain and storms should stay off to our south once again.

I wouldn't be that confident of a good Sunday in your area in Middlesex County. GFS and RGEM has slowly trended north today and the NAM has stayed consistent. Northern New Jersey may be spared, but its not looking good from Central Jersey southward.  Upton has my area here in NE Jersey reaching 78 degrees tomorrow with party sunny skies. I think I'll take the under on that with clouds being more of an issue and rain may creep in too.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ace said:

I wouldn't be that confident of a good Sunday in your area in Middlesex County. GFS and RGEM has slowly trended north today and the NAM has stayed consistent. Northern New Jersey may be spared, but its not looking good from Central Jersey southward.  Upton has my area here in NE Jersey reaching 78 degrees tomorrow with party sunny skies. I think I'll take the under on that with clouds being more of an issue and rain may creep in too.

See my more recent post.

1 minute ago, Ace said:

Yes I just saw it after I posted lol. We will have to wait and see how the radar looks tomorrow to determine northern extent, etc.

Interesting that a couple of meteorologists on social media didn't seem so confident on the rain/storms staying south of the NYC area. Their concern may wind up being correct, time will tell.

Just now, Rtd208 said:

Interesting that a couple of meteorologists on social media didn't seem so confident on the rain/storms staying south of the NYC area. Their concern may wind up being correct, time will tell.

If we go by the precip gradient of the last couple months, then central NJ south will get a good hit. NYC is probably the cutoff. 

15 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

2/6/10 in June!!

11 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

i enjoy rainy sundays just come north into the city !!

The city is right on the edge, southern areas of the city obviously do better then northern areas. Looks like I get around 1.00-1.25" of rain if the NAM is correct just eyeballing it. Areas a little further north should certainly keep on eye on things since a small shift north will make a big difference in precipitation amounts for some areas. 

The 12z Euro continues the hard suppression to the south of NYC theme. Looks like yet another backdoor cold front with easterly flow for Sunday into Monday. Maybe some light showers making it to NYC for the 7th weekend in a row with measurable rainfall. This is our most recent version of 2010's stuck or stagnant weather patterns.

1765544235_Screenshot2018-06-09at2_28_23PM.png.cd433c677e6471019c677ca494e7d32a.png

30dPDeptNRCC.png.c23f4f0198603769cbbb61be9340a13d.png

15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The 12z Euro continues the hard suppression to the south of NYC theme. Looks like yet another backdoor cold front with easterly flow for Sunday into Monday. Maybe some light showers making it to NYC for the 7th weekend in a row with measurable rainfall. This is our most recent version of 2010's stuck or stagnant weather patterns.

1765544235_Screenshot2018-06-09at2_28_23PM.png.cd433c677e6471019c677ca494e7d32a.png

30dPDeptNRCC.png.c23f4f0198603769cbbb61be9340a13d.png

It will be interesting to see which model winds up being more correct, I would hedge towards the Euro to be honest. Extreme SNJ is currently getting hit hard by heavy rain/storms. 

10 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

It does appear that the 18z NAM took another jog north with the precipitation. Something to keep an eye on.

RGEM took another jog north as well. It now gets decent rain up to Middlesex County. People that were expecting a dry sunday based on yesterday's forecasts might end up being surprised. Sunday is looking worse and worse as the data continues to come in today.

40 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Has the NAM gone off its rocker? It now hits most of the area tomorrow afternoon and night with a huge 2 to 4 inch rain event. People are gonna be shocked if this happens, because there's no hint of this in any forecast.

Wow it certainly does, interesting to say the least. Curious to see if the other models come in further north as well.

17 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

It will be interesting to see which model winds up being more correct, I would hedge towards the Euro to be honest. Extreme SNJ is currently getting hit hard by heavy rain/storms. 

I am getting some light rain now in SW Suffolk. Sharp cutoff just to my north with some breaks in the clouds there. This makes the 7th straight weekend since late April with some rain around the area. So the early season weekend beach business continues to get off to a slow start.

The current radar looks reasonably close to the HRRR, GFS , and Euro which keeps the heaviest rains south of NYC.  You can see how the NAM forecast is already too far north with the heavy rain axis to our west. Notice how the heaviest rains by 9 am were south of the PA border instead of into Western NY like the NAM was showing.

20 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The current radar looks reasonably close to the HRRR, GFS , and Euro which keeps the heaviest rains south of NYC.  You can see how the NAM forecast is already too far north with the heavy rain axis to our west. Notice how the heaviest rains by 9 am were south of the PA border instead of into Western NY like the NAM was showing.

Hope youre right

looks lcose

6 - 10 - nam 06z sim.JPG

Archived