joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was irritated that we got only .25" here this morning, but thankfully we just had a heavy downpour. It was brief (only about 8 minutes) but very heavy (my DirecTV went out) and dropped a quick quarter inch of rain. So I'm satisfied now that we got to a half inch of rain for the day. A decent soaking and it was important to get moisture into the soil before the big heat.

8 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I was irritated that we got only .25" here this morning, but thankfully we just had a heavy downpour. It was brief (only about 8 minutes) but very heavy (my DirecTV went out) and dropped a quick quarter inch of rain. So I'm satisfied now that we got to a half inch of rain for the day. A decent soaking and it was important to get moisture into the soil before the big heat.

Parts of New England just got upgraded to moderate drought this morning. 

Precipitation amounts ranged from a few tenths of an inch to over an inch in places, but mostly the region was drier than normal. With low streamflow, precipitation deficits building over the last 3 months, and drying soils, D0 was expanded in parts of the region and D1 was introduced from northern Massachusetts to southern Maine. According to June 25 U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) statistics, pasture and range condition was poor to very poor across 15% of Massachusetts, 14% of New Hampshire, and 6% of New York. Topsoil moisture was short or very short (dry or very dry) across 40% of Maine, 56% of Massachusetts, 70% of New Hampshire, 52% of New York, and 61% of Vermont. Subsoil moisture conditions were similarly dire. Subsoil moisture was short or very short in 73% of Maine, 21% of Massachusetts, 66% of New Hampshire, 41% of New York, and 36% of Vermont. In New York, according to Farm Service Agency reports, corn was beginning to curl in parts of Oneida and Yates Counties and underseedings were starting to wither in Yates County. Hydrologic conditions in Massachusetts were dry, with below or well below normal groundwater in central and western Massachusetts and low streamflow. Drought impacts reported by the National Drought Mitigation Center (NDMC) include a water ban in Northampton, MA, and water conservation requests by the NH Department of Environmental Services.

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Parts of New England just got upgraded to moderate drought this morning. 

Precipitation amounts ranged from a few tenths of an inch to over an inch in places, but mostly the region was drier than normal. With low streamflow, precipitation deficits building over the last 3 months, and drying soils, D0 was expanded in parts of the region and D1 was introduced from northern Massachusetts to southern Maine. According to June 25 U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) statistics, pasture and range condition was poor to very poor across 15% of Massachusetts, 14% of New Hampshire, and 6% of New York. Topsoil moisture was short or very short (dry or very dry) across 40% of Maine, 56% of Massachusetts, 70% of New Hampshire, 52% of New York, and 61% of Vermont. Subsoil moisture conditions were similarly dire. Subsoil moisture was short or very short in 73% of Maine, 21% of Massachusetts, 66% of New Hampshire, 41% of New York, and 36% of Vermont. In New York, according to Farm Service Agency reports, corn was beginning to curl in parts of Oneida and Yates Counties and underseedings were starting to wither in Yates County. Hydrologic conditions in Massachusetts were dry, with below or well below normal groundwater in central and western Massachusetts and low streamflow. Drought impacts reported by the National Drought Mitigation Center (NDMC) include a water ban in Northampton, MA, and water conservation requests by the NH Department of Environmental Services.

Much wetter down our way...Feb,mar,apr,may...all had greater than 5.25" of rain at my station. Drier this month however,but today's rain is helping.

Just throwing some early guess numbers out for Newark beginning Thursday 6/28 through July 4th.

**Final Update 6/28**

Thursday 6/28: 88

Friday 6/29: 93

Saturday 6/30: 96

Sunday 7/1: 100

Monday 7/2: 100

Tuesday 7/3: 98

Wednesday 7/4: 97

Temps probably continue in the mid and upper 90's late next week/first weekend of July.

33 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Another absolute gullywasher here, quite literally... lots of material from my yard getting swept down the street in waters close to 6" deep. 

Picked up 1.21" in that thunderstorm, bringing the 24-hour total up to 2.98". It's hard to tell if the severe warned cell to my NW is going to make it this far south, but if it does, there might be a couple impassable streets for a time.

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I believe the last time any part of the region had a 100 degrees or greater with an 80 dewpoint was 7-15-95.

That is going to make this upcoming heatwave so brutal. Dewpoints in the 70's to maybe approaching 80 in some spots. This will most likely be one of the most uncomfortable extended stretches that we have seen in quite some time.

37 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i doubt anyone's going to turn off the a/c when it's 90/80

Yeah for real. dew point 80 at any temp will have ac going hard..and they don't work as well in extreme humidity.  I've spent enough time in south FL to realize that.

Archived