Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

12z Euro has 18-20C 850's for NYC Metro and 22-24C in Upstate New York. Models probably need some more time to pin down the exact core of the heat since the GFS is closer to NYC metro.

Thats crazy. Widespread 100+ in the valleys upstate, figure 95-100 in NE NJ, NYC 

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL @ Mt.Holly NWS office for my area next Monday 7/2, calling for lower 90's temps. I don't think so if these model temp output numbers are going to be right, they even seem a bit low for the weekend as well. This is not uncommon for the NWS and they will probably increase temps as we get closer.

2 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

LOL @ Mt.Holly NWS office for my area next Monday 7/2, calling for lower 90's temps. I don't think so if these model temp output numbers are going to be right, they even seem a bit low for the weekend as well. This is not uncommon for the NWS and they will probably increase temps as we get closer.

Matches the Euro which is nothing like the gfs

For the record, the 0Z GFS---The next 10:  

85, 83, 79, 92, 97, 101, 105, 107, 107, 105-----average 96.1, ends on July 4

Will update as needed.   Looks like Dallas starting the 28th.

Update from 12Z:

85, 83, 79, 90, 97, 100, 105, 101, 95, 98-----average 93.3, also ends July 4

The potential heat wave set up reminds me of July 1999; slightly off topic below:

I was in a hospital in New Mexico, missing my trip to Philmont, watching Al Roker describe the 100+ temps for Nj/NYC. 

My younger brother was also at camp in Allamuchy, and it was cooler in Taos by a long shot. 

20 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Typical post 2011 June where the warmest temperature departures stay to our west.

We've really managed to stay in our cooler bubble while the rest of the country if not the world has warmed rapidly, fascinating when you consider the AGW aspect of it all. 

Then again we weren't devoid of record warmth, it just happened to dodge the summer months over the last several years. No one's gonna complain about record warmth in Dec-March

29 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

We've really managed to stay in our cooler bubble while the rest of the country if not the world has warmed rapidly, fascinating when you consider the AGW aspect of it all. 

Then again we weren't devoid of record warmth, it just happened to dodge the summer months over the last several years.

Same thing happened in February 2015 and countless other months. Look at February 2015, we were so cold but the globe as usual was very hot:

201502.gif

33 minutes ago, Sundog said:

This looks like it's one of the hottest Junes on record for the USA. 

If the current prism analysis is correct, the US is at 70.7 vs the 71.8 record in 2016.

33 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Then again we weren't devoid of record warmth, it just happened to dodge the summer months over the last several years. No one's gonna complain about record warmth in Dec-March

Luckily, the 2010's still haven't produced a summer version of the December 2015 or February 20, 2018 ridge. A +6 to +10 departure during July would be brutal.

•  
  • Ad-Free Secondary Group
  • team_member.png
  •  
  • 1,815 posts

For the record, the 0Z GFS---The next 10:  

85, 83, 79, 92, 97, 101, 105, 107, 107, 105-----average 96.1, ends on July 4

Will update as needed.   Looks like Dallas starting the 28th.

Update from 12Z:

85, 83, 79, 90, 97, 100, 105, 101, 95, 98-----average 93.3, also ends July 4

Update from latest 0Z:

81, 80, 91, 97, 101,  95,    91,  89,  90, 79--average 89.4, ends July 5

Meanwhile,  it is just 69 here at Noon.   Water temp. is probably higher than that.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

This coming warm up is looking less impressive than just a few days ago. Models hold onto more high pressure east of New England. So there is more of a onshore flow. 

the euro backed off a bit on the offshore ULL today

Archived