Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

18 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I wouldn’t say that. But there is no need to have a lush green lawn in July/August. 

The beach should be absolutely packed today. 

The amount of effort that needs to go into a "healthy" lawn shows that they are just wrong. How much water, how much fertilizer, how much pesticide and how much fungicide, etc...? If a lawn belonged it would just grow and be thick, lush and green all by itself except when it doesn't rain for a while and then it would be just like all of the other native pants - hibernating and waiting for the next rains.

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

The "wet" pattern was mostly in want of moisture from the city on north, so dry anomalies hit the ground running once this more summery pattern commenced. Streamflow is really low for this time of year in the Catskills and mid–upper HV. I'm hoping the NAM has a clue with its support for slow-moving convection in the interior tomorrow evening.

83LiyTf.gif

I drove up and down the valley from home all the way up to the high peaks of the Adirondacks and Greens over the last week or so and on the surface everything is growing thick and lush but it has become obvious that the soil moisture has dropped significantly. Up in the mid elevations of the Greens the creeks are really low and it's getting dusty which doesn't usually happen for another few weeks. It's hard to tell though if you just look at things in passing though as cut fields are thick and beautiful, the undergrowth in the forest is dense, leaves have taken on that rich summer green but farm fields are crusty and brown and the insects aren't as much of a factor as they should be in late June.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I like about this area. You got weather for everyone. You like dry hot weather? Boom. Got it. You like humid, hot weather? Done. Cold and dry? Yup! Snow, blizzards, freezing rain, sleet, tornadoes, waterspouts, even the rare cold air funnel! We got it all!

Here in  CI hazy sun and some cirrus clouds.    Temps. so far   6AM   70      9AM    73         now @11AM    77.    Getting away lucky so far.

NOON Update:    I am actually down a degree to 76, while it is 88 in the City.   I must be in a charmed area, sea breeze can't be penetrating inland too far.

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

The amount of effort that needs to go into a "healthy" lawn shows that they are just wrong. How much water, how much fertilizer, how much pesticide and how much fungicide, etc...? If a lawn belonged it would just grow and be thick, lush and green all by itself except when it doesn't rain for a while and then it would be just like all of the other native pants - hibernating and waiting for the next rains.

I drove up and down the valley from home all the way up to the high peaks of the Adirondacks and Greens over the last week or so and on the surface everything is growing thick and lush but it has become obvious that the soil moisture has dropped significantly. Up in the mid elevations of the Greens the creeks are really low and it's getting dusty which doesn't usually happen for another few weeks. It's hard to tell though if you just look at things in passing though as cut fields are thick and beautiful, the undergrowth in the forest is dense, leaves have taken on that rich summer green but farm fields are crusty and brown and the insects aren't as much of a factor as they should be in late June.

Yeah, I noticed that the Berks were looking parched while driving home from Boston on Saturday. I didn't take as close a look as you did in your travels, but the terrain just seemed to have that washed-out hue that I associate with August.

As an aside, I bailed on the Pike at exit 2 and took the surface roads the rest of the way, and had to stop for a black bear on CT Route 41 in Salisbury, right near where it intersects the AT. Second bear I've come across in the NW hills this month.

22 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That's really impressive for Albany. It looks like the first time in June that that they hit 97 since 1957. Only 3 degrees off the all time June high of 100 set  in 1933.

all you need is a ridge in the east

Archived