Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

12z Euro continues the repeating south of NYC jackpot theme. 

1424583353_Screenshot2018-06-07at2_27_55PM.png.8cd2e5550c21bedc4cbb4b083e203d8c.png

30dPDeptNRCC.png.084c7cec20a051552c0dbdc2992a8d2a.png

Hilarious. Thank goodness this isn't the winter precip anomaly. 

The high and troughing has been so strong to our NE to shunt south the heavy rain along the ridge axis for a long time now. And it looks like it continues overall for the next 10 days. Remarkable how persistent that Maritimes trough has been. Plenty more east wind/below normal days to come in that case.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

The high and troughing has been so strong to our NE to shunt south the heavy rain along the ridge axis for a long time now. And it looks like it continues overall for the next 10 days. Remarkable how persistent that Maritimes trough has been. Plenty more east wind/below normal days to come in that case.

The snow and damaging frost yesterday on Prince Edward Island shows how strong and persistent this pattern is.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-early-season-strawberries-damaged-frost-2018-1.4694162

June 6 in Prince Edward Island, Canada. #snow twitter.com/JayScotland/st…

Only 201 days until Christmas. ❄️❄️❄️ pic.twitter.com/xF2Y8JhpOp

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Yeah no kidding, this place would be going bizerk. Amazing how persistent the pattern has been. If you want exciting/active weather you need to head from Monmouth/Mercer County line on south because that is really where most of it has been.

4 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

It looks like most of the models keep the precipitation south of our area now i.e. NAM, GFS, and the Euro, hard to go against that. Hoping for that last minute north trend lol. Amazing.

This is the ultimate weather doldrums. The best we can hope for is some strataform light rain...

43 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

This is the ultimate weather doldrums. The best we can hope for is some strataform light rain...

What was interesting was that Upton didn't seem to be completely buying the south trend on the models with the rain when reading their afternoon forecast discussion, at least not yet. That was the idea I got anyway.

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

Not until late Sunday though

The models have been really bad with the timing of rain events this spring, and it looks as if we can add another one to the list. All we heard the last few days was that it was trending towards saturday being the wet day and drying out sunday with a beautiful sunday afternoon. Now suddenly the models are showing no rain saturday but rain coming in late sunday. You just can't plan anything a few days in advance anymore. The models can't seem to handle rain threats in this pattern.

6 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

The next 8 days averaging 72degs., or about 2degs. AN.

Month to date is  -1.5, but should be  +0.3 by the 16th.

...hoping the thurs thru sunday time period will be ok as all eyes(at least in the golfing world) will 

be centered on the east end of long island for the 118Th US Open @ Shinnecock Hills in Southampton..right

now forecast look pretty benign..lets hope that holds.

Dry conditions are developing in New England with the storm track suppressed to the south over the Midatlantic. Portland, Maine experienced their 5th driest May on record with only 0.79. Models continue to show no changes in this pattern for at least the next week to 10 days. The trough stays put in New England forcing the heaviest ring of fire convection to train to our south over the Midatlantic. 

DO Abnormally Dry conditions have expanded in New England.twitter.com/DroughtCenter/…

ecmwf-ens_z500aMean_namer_1.thumb.png.5031b6c00f2e1beae1e72e685a3a56ed.png

ecmwf-ens_z500aMean_namer_6.thumb.png.7f0956700f7d35db39f41ca06bc4ce72.png

2 hours ago, tim said:

...hoping the thurs thru sunday time period will be ok as all eyes(at least in the golfing world) will 

be centered on the east end of long island for the 118Th US Open @ Shinnecock Hills in Southampton..right

now forecast look pretty benign..lets hope that holds.

I was just out on the east end yesterday and stopped to take a look at the course. It looks great and at the moment it's looking super green and luscious with some hellacious looking rough. 

I'm ok with it being dry for a while longer especially if it means the mold that's starting in my garden will dry out and go away. I also have a big mt bike festival that I have a booth at on Sunday so I need it dry and nice. Keep that wet stuff well south of central Westchester until sunset please.

11 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

The models have been really bad with the timing of rain events this spring, and it looks as if we can add another one to the list. All we heard the last few days was that it was trending towards saturday being the wet day and drying out sunday with a beautiful sunday afternoon. Now suddenly the models are showing no rain saturday but rain coming in late sunday. You just can't plan anything a few days in advance anymore. The models can't seem to handle rain threats in this pattern.

pretty much. I'm going with mostly dry at this point

Next 8 days averaging 72degs., or about 1deg. AN.

Month to date is  -1.1.   Should  be Normal by the 17th.

Both GFS/CMC nearly dry for next 10 days.  BN precipitation in the summer could mean AN temperatures are coming, as OP shows starting the 17th., but the ensemble doesn't, (by as much).

June is getting off to a cooler start than May did. This is the first time a 70 degree start to May was followed by a cooler beginning of June since 2001.

NYC

2018....06/01-06/07...66.5....05/01-05/07....70.8

2001...06/01-06/07....66.0....05/01-05/07....70.4

I can't even remember the last time I had to water the garden. The soil is finally drying out so I'll probaby water today or tomorrow. It has been a very wet period the last few weeks, so we're due for an extended dry period and the models are now advertising one. Some of the models are saying we might not see rain again until 10 days from now.

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

I can't even remember the last time I had to water the garden. The soil is finally drying out so I'll probaby water today or tomorrow. It has been a very wet period the last few weeks, so we're due for an extended dry period and the models are now advertising one. Some of the models are saying we might not see rain again until 10 days from now.

Just want to note that the exception to the dry period could be late tomorrow, as the models have us right on the edge of the rain. Could stay to the south but it's a very close call.

Both the 12z NAM/GFS have a close call for the city as precipitation is just off to our south over the next couple days, especially the NAM which looks really wet for southern areas. I would keep an eye on things since it seems like both models have inched precipitation a bit further north over the last couple of runs.

Archived