Newest Member
    Dano62
June 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Funny... it's the first time I've been comfortable in days. Window fans in every room pumping the house full of sweet relief.

The rain looks pretty wimpy though, probably going to be useless for well/pool/garden purposes.

Yeah, I'll admit the humidity was oppressive the last couple of days.  But the lack of sustained sun and warmth has really been killing me, especially after an extended winter season.

11 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Funny... it's the first time I've been comfortable in days. Window fans in every room pumping the house full of sweet relief.

The rain looks pretty wimpy though, probably going to be useless for well/pool/garden purposes.

Nah I'm cold. I'm also too stubborn to turn the heat on to bring the house up above 62. I don't know about you but we got a good solid soaking here overnight. No need to water the garden today and possibly tomorrow too. With a 396 foot deep well it takes a helluva drought to affect us.

As far as warmth/relative or perceived warmth goes it seems to me that all it takes is a short bit of sunshine for the temps to overperform. Even yesterday it happened, we were in central CT at an outside event and when the wind went down for about 2 hours and the sun was out it popped into the 80's when the forecast was for high 60's. As soon as the wind kicked back in the clouds thickened up and it dropped back to the high 60's and stayed there. This keeps happening lately (the last few years), just a short period of sunshine and pop goes the temps.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Looks like BNL got down to 48 just before midnight. So parts of Long Island saw a nearly 40 degree temperature drop from the highs on Saturday.

Theme of this summer seems to be very changeable weather and alot of shower-storm chances...

4 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Theme of this summer seems to be very changeable weather and alot of shower-storm chances...

Hasn't changed much since the beginning of February. This was the 60th day with measurable rainfall in NYC since February 1st. 2018 is tied  with 1950 for the most days on record.

It really warmed up this afternoon when the clouds melted away. For a little while it was dry, warm and summery. Goes back to my post from earlier how we can easily overperform with just a little bit of sunshine. Clouds moved back in just before sunset and the temp dropped significantly in just a few minutes with very little wind.

32 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The only thing you need to know is that it will probably  find a way to rain for the weekend. This one coming up should be the 7th in a row since late April with measurable rain. Obviously, the specific time and amounts for the weekend will be determined later.

The good news there is that only a few weekend days have been total washouts...

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Doesn't take much actual rain on the weekends for people to cut back on beach plans. This is the kind of pattern that can persist into the summer in this new era of stuck or stagnant weather patterns. 

True.   Not many beach days so far.   The sunny days have been cool outside of a handful of hot days...I go to South Jersey for a week at the end of June-we have lucked out on good weather for years...hoping we change it up by then...

14 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

True.   Not many beach days so far.   The sunny days have been cool outside of a handful of hot days...I go to South Jersey for a week at the end of June-we have lucked out on good weather for years...hoping we change it up by then...

The one good thing about these patterns locking in for extended periods of time is that it makes long range forecasting easier. 

21 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Doesn't take much actual rain on the weekends for people to cut back on beach plans. This is the kind of pattern that can persist into the summer in this new era of stuck or stagnant weather patterns. 

Yea there haven’t been many beach days, but June is often crappy for the beach anyway, frigid water, the sea breeze is still cold as well. I don’t go much until July when the water is more bearable

18 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Yea there haven’t been many beach days, but June is often crappy for the beach anyway, frigid water, the sea breeze is still cold as well. I don’t go much until July when the water is more bearable

I always say July 4th is really the point where the water is swimable.   

4 hours ago, psv88 said:

Yeah, the highest beach attendance for places like Long Beach begins with weekends in late June and early July. But the early season weekend beach business is off to a slow start. 

With decades of experience going to beach here in CI, I think any sea breeze post June 10, is just as likely to be beneficial as harmful to the cause.   During genuine heatwaves, all I am going to get here is a hot and wet SW air movement or a dry, hot, downsloping one from the NW.

Been to the beach 12 times since April 13 which seems low since I am free now to go any day I want.

Today it seems started off looking great, but a piece of energy is swooping down into the N.E. has brought the clouds and there might be a quick shower near 3:30pm.

I briefly touched 100 back in 2016 when JFK hit 98/99, I lived SE of there.

I also remember when JFK hit 99 under overcast skies, I forget what year exactly (2013?). I didn’t know temps that high were possible in our area without sunshine, until it happened.

Archived