• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Alberto remnants

Hoosier

Please don’t laugh at me, but if this was later in the year, and tracked directly over Lake Michigan, could that possibly strengthen a system that is still this well defined?

I know there is the “brown ocean” effect, but o would have to imagine that an actual, warm body of water would be more conducive if it could thread the needle and track due north over Lake Michigan?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Please don’t laugh at me, but if this was later in the year, and tracked directly over Lake Michigan, could that possibly strengthen a system that is still this well defined?

I know there is the “brown ocean” effect, but o would have to imagine that an actual, warm body of water would be more conducive if it could thread the needle and track due north over Lake Michigan?

Theoretically, I think it could strengthen a system, at least marginally.  I don't see why not.  The issue would be that systems are often clipping by fairly rapidly as they get that far north and also recurving with some eastward component, so getting it to run over Lake Michigan for any prolonged length of time would be difficult. 

Nice bands of semi tropical showers punctuated by gusty winds and partly cloudy skies at times.  Nice to experience even though heavier precip was to my west.  With the dearth of svr weather this spring it is still kinda neat to have experienced these remnants so early in the hurricane season and 100 degree temps when I was up at Highland IN the other day.

1 minute ago, OHweather said:

Nice pics.  Not much spun on radar today, but a pretty surprising amount of wind damage reports from those bands of storms. 

Yeah, ended up getting a gust to 32kt here at DTW, not too bad but not severe.

18 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Nice pics.  Not much spun on radar today, but a pretty surprising amount of wind damage reports from those bands of storms. 

Yeah, easily verified the marginal and possibly even a slight risk.

Nice pics. I agree that the first one is awesome.

I just came inside from watching the clouds fly by, with the trees blowing in the wind and off again on again rain. Really enjoy having these tropical systems go practically overhead. I'd still be outside if it wasn't getting dark.

EF0 tornado confirmed north of Dayton OH.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
National Weather Service Wilmington OH
124 PM EDT Thu May 31 2018

...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DAMAGE SURVEY CONFIRMS AN EF0 TORNADO
NEAR PLEASANT HILL IN MIAMI COUNTY OHIO...

A storm survey team from the National Weather Service,
Wilmington, OH has confirmed that an EF0 tornado touched downed
near Pleasant Hill, Miami County OH Wednesday evening, May 30.
Damage associated with the tornado is consistent with winds near
65 mph.

A more detailed report, including path width, path length, and
approximate times, will be available later this afternoon or this
evening

Archived