Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 15 2018 Severe Threat SNE

CT Rain

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

That's a key point. For the vast majority of CT, it was pretty meh. And for the next EML those towns may say mets always blow it out of proportion. 

In addition to the general knowledge of severe weather in the Plains, they also have the frequency. So while in any one event it's unlikely your backyard will be hit by a storm, over the course of a year there is a relatively high chance. 

People that experienced the severe weather Tuesday are unlikely to forget it, but  it's still a tiny percentage of the state. And that's not even counting the parts of MA and RI that were also included in the watch.

We were on the air pretty much from 2:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. with a break for NBC Nightly News. We didn't get one complaint about our coverage or the forecast.

Since high end severe weather is rare around here when people see the pictures of the damage they're generally pretty forgiving if their neighborhood wasn't impacted. Same thing on 6/1/11 we had been talking about tornado potential for 3 days - but no one complained about the forecast even though CT didn't see one. 

1 hour ago, CT Rain said:

We were on the air pretty much from 2:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. with a break for NBC Nightly News. We didn't get one complaint about our coverage or the forecast.

Since high end severe weather is rare around here when people see the pictures of the damage they're generally pretty forgiving if their neighborhood wasn't impacted. Same thing on 6/1/11 we had been talking about tornado potential for 3 days - but no one complained about the forecast even though CT didn't see one. 

Certainly true...also, if someone wasn't directly affected by any of the storms last week there is a pretty damn good chance they knew someone who was. 

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My neighbor was home with his 6 month old and when the first tree fell in the front barely missing the house, he put the baby in the bathtub and went for a mattress to place over them. As the second tree fell....this time on the backside of his house crushing his roof and destroying his deck, he called his wife to start praying together. 

Good news is, he has a brand new deck now.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Awesome job there CT rainer. Just an awful event, worst I have witnessed. It will certainly go down as the most damaging severe outbreak in wct history. I will never see anything like it here again, thankfully. 

I believe there were more telephone poles and miles of electrical cable downed in your area than the entire state suffered from Sandy.

Suffice to say, the tree in the back, second on the pic (up top),  hasnt been touched and still lays there. The big first tree was cut up in August with extensive cleanup. I still find myself ripping out twigs jammed into the ground when I clean and mow the yard.

I still need to get someone to remove the trunk and fill in the hole. Anyone know someone reliable and cheap in the area, please PM me.