Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 15 2018 Severe Threat SNE

CT Rain

15 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

This is so helpful! I've tried to search a bit more on EML's since I never truly understood how to explain the origin of them. I'm also going to do a presentation on this event at our Tristate weather conference in the fall and wanted to briefly explain EML origin and this totally helps. 

https://twitter.com/MikeTheMainMan/status/996837574722408449

24 minutes ago, Modfan said:

There is a small section of damage in the Putnam West Thompson Ctline (RT 12/RT 21 area) with significant tree damage; does anyone know if this was a macro/micro burst or straight line winds.

nWS says straight line winds, I asked them for more detail, microburst, wind speeds

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Upton also didn't investigate the damage at sleeping giant state park in Hamden and Wharton Brook in North Haven.  Check out the below video in the news link. 

http://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/sleeping-giant-state-park-destroyed-by-storm-other-parks-closed/1183924093

This could also be a muti-day effort. There are only so many people the office can spare to do storm damage surveys. And it's kind of a haul for OKX to get to CT.

12 minutes ago, Modfan said:

Thanks. Area is just to the east of the West Thompson dam, I assumed some winds mixed down across the open area of the dam and hit east side.

I saw the velocity scan when that hit, probably 70 to 80 downburst, wish they checked it out in person.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

This could also be a muti-day effort. There are only so many people the office can spare to do storm damage surveys. And it's kind of a haul for OKX to get to CT.

Box should have checked out Thompson CT though, they told me that the checked with the Emergency manager.......

Maybe Ryan or someone else here knows if the NWS actually sent out a survey team to New Fairfield.  The public info statement focused on Brookfield yesterday and today’s final report seems to tack New Fairfield on as an afterthought as part of the macroburst, without any mention of consult/survey with local authorities there.  They confirmed an EF1 right over the border in Patterson/Putnam Lake, NY (maybe 0.5 mile from the border) and the macroburst to the east. I’ve never seen so many big trees uprooted and tossed and this is the scene all over town, see link from twitter at end. I would have thought it warranted more survey given tragic loss of life, injuries, and damage in town. 

**removed link as originally twitter feed said it was fine to use, except for ones with faces, of which there were a few**

21 minutes ago, JKEisMan said:

Maybe Ryan or someone else here knows if the NWS actually sent out a survey team to New Fairfield.  The public info statement focused on Brookfield yesterday and today’s final report seems to tack New Fairfield on as an afterthought as part of the macroburst, without any mention of consult/survey with local authorities there.  They confirmed an EF1 right over the border in Patterson/Putnam Lake, NY (maybe 0.5 mile from the border) and the macroburst to the east. I’ve never seen so many big trees uprooted and tossed and this is the scene all over town, see link from twitter at end. I would have thought it warranted more survey given tragic loss of life, injuries, and damage in town. 

**removed link as originally twitter feed said it was fine to use, except for ones with faces, of which there were a few**

I'm not sure what's wrong, the confirmed a single macroburst that occurred across two towns. Doesn't seem like they skipped it, or lumped it in. It's one event.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm not sure what's wrong, the confirmed a single macroburst that occurred across two towns. Doesn't seem like they skipped it, or lumped it in. It's one event.

The original town survey list didn’t include New Fairfield and the survey report from yesterday only referred to Brookfield. Again, even the final report today didn’t refer to actual consultation or survey in New Fairfield, so seem tacked on. Just wondering if they actually went to town - just a question. I realize there are probably limited resources for survey work.

41 minutes ago, JKEisMan said:

The original town survey list didn’t include New Fairfield and the survey report from yesterday only referred to Brookfield. Again, even the final report today didn’t refer to actual consultation or survey in New Fairfield, so seem tacked on. Just wondering if they actually went to town - just a question. I realize there are probably limited resources for survey work.

They added New Fairfield. I know they were in Brookfield - but you could also see the swath continue on the other side of the lake in New Fairfield. 

56 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

They added New Fairfield. I know they were in Brookfield - but you could also see the swath continue on the other side of the lake in New Fairfield. 

Thanks, Ryan. Yeah, it seemed as if they added it on after the fact. If they’d sent a survey team to town, I wonder if they would’ve seen evidence of a tornado given that the confirmed EF1 in Putnam Lake/Patterson was probably hundreds of meters from the western edge of town and the Macroburst seemed to cover the town.  Based on the damage I’ve seen in town it definitely looks like it could’ve been a tornado, but I have untrained eyes. Of course, I’m also not versed in the dynamics/transitioning of tornado to macroburst.  So basically wondering if trained eyes were there. In the end of course doesn’t really matter, what matters is the tragic loss of life, injuries and damage.  Luckily family and friends of mine are all safe.