Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
may 10-16 convection

forkyfork

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JerseyWx said:

Not overly impressed here.  Rain wasn't heavy for too long and the wind was only gusty at the beginning.  Lighting is impressive though.

The rain has been the least impressive aspect of this storm, however that happens a lot when you have very intense winds. Was coming down sideways for quite awhile.

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

Quite a few folks swearing they saw a funnel and tornado damage in southern Dutchess, along the Beacon-Hopewell corridor. Would be nice to get some pictures but that tornado warned couplet did look the part, so I'm not ruling it out.

A few reports as well just north of here in southern sullivan county of a funnel cloud. Also saw a report of a gust approaching 80mph in Beacon

12 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The rain has been the least impressive aspect of this storm, however that happens a lot when you have very intense winds. Was coming down sideways for quite awhile.

Yeah I think you experienced a stronger area of that line than me.  The gusts here weren't anything to write home about- maybe just a few strong ones.

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

Quite a few folks swearing they saw a funnel and tornado damage in southern Dutchess, along the Beacon-Hopewell corridor. Would be nice to get some pictures but that tornado warned couplet did look the part, so I'm not ruling it out.

I had some rotation overhead in new Windsor 

Very standard for these storm fronts around here in NYC. High winds right before the line arrives, heavy rain, not a whole lot of lightning. You can see the lightning all rapidly die out on lightning maps as it approached the coastal area. Initial gust of wind was very impressive.

Great gustnado over NY harbor at the edge of the gustfront - I've never seen one before and it was textbook.  Visual swirl in the water, strong enough to create spray, with no funnel attaching to the cloud base.  Started north of Liberty Island and shot across the harbor to north of Governors Island before it left my field of view.  Damn cool sight from a 38th floor window!

Anyways, this storm is excellent and severe and as advertised here at the Battery.

Red Hook, cobble Hill, wind has the top half of the sycamores in full motion. Hearing sirens now, not sure if it’s storm related. Rain still has not hit the ground. Clouds moving fast, looks like west  to east. Felt the first drops. Street lights just went on. I am standing in the doorway of the walk in apt. Probably not for long. Heavy wind blown rain started. Interesting so far no lightning or thunder. Time to declare victory and retreat. Just heard the first rumble. 

Archived