• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018 Mountains and Foothills Spring/Summer thread

On 5/30/2018 at 11:04 PM, NCSNOW said:

Landslide in Watauga County. 2 fatalities. Near Boone. Watauga Democrat is local paper if u want to see pics etc.

Spoke to some of the firefighters that went to that scene on Heavenly Mtn...foundation started to slide, then pulled away from propane, followed by pulling away from the powerlines at the meter box...sparking the explosion...at least that's the theory...but it's still under investigation...still very sad news indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday, traveled down to Asheville with a buddy to see a show. On the way down we were talking about the weather (he is a weather nerd as well), and I was saying how All I had to do was keep my phone data turned on when we were there and we wouldn't even have to look at the weather since Ward would of course go live on FB. About an hour later got the notification that he was live talking about the storm moving in, and that was the only reason we were able to get inside before it hit, thanks Ward for what you do! :) also, i'm sick of all the clouds, I've lost my entire tan from vacation already.

18 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

So yesterday, traveled down to Asheville with a buddy to see a show. On the way down we were talking about the weather (he is a weather nerd as well), and I was saying how All I had to do was keep my phone data turned on when we were there and we wouldn't even have to look at the weather since Ward would of course go live on FB. About an hour later got the notification that he was live talking about the storm moving in, and that was the only reason we were able to get inside before it hit, thanks Ward for what you do! :) also, i'm sick of all the clouds, I've lost my entire tan from vacation already.

Hahaha thats awesome man, and no problem!  Glad I could help you and your friend out!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Lol yeah. Summer is usually slow here. Although the mountains have had a lot of rain this season.  Hopefully I'm coming back to WNC soon so I'll be back.
Whoa! The conductor returns? We would love to have you back, Met. But, I'm sorry if the job didn't turn out to be all it was hoped to be.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, calculus1 said:

Whoa! The conductor returns? We would love to have you back, Met. But, I'm sorry if the job didn't turn out to be all it was hoped to be.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

No the job is fine. I'm doing and learning the job as needed but there have been some things in my personal life that have transpired that I feel like I must come back for. If I stay up in Wisconsin it will only be for money and nothing else and I'm no that happy up here.

Back in the hills for a week to check on things. It's been years since I've seen things so lush. The mountains look amazing right now. Late July and every branch, creek, and river at full flow. Everyone's garden is beautiful. I saw a cow grazing in chest high grass. You guys are doing a great job taking care of things this summer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

Back in the hills for a week to check on things. It's been years since I've seen things so lush. The mountains look amazing right now. Late July and every branch, creek, and river at full flow. Everyone's garden is beautiful. I saw a cow grazing in chest high grass. You guys are doing a great job taking care of things this summer.

Welcome back temporarily!  It's been like living in a rainforest this summer! I've never seen so many fireflies.

Whoa. I've been absent from the thread for too long. I hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to drop in and ask if any of you have at-home weather stations. I'd really like to invest in one in the near future and I wanted to see if anyone had a particular suggestion. 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, BooneWX said:

Whoa. I've been absent from the thread for too long. I hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to drop in and ask if any of you have at-home weather stations. I'd really like to invest in one in the near future and I wanted to see if anyone had a particular suggestion. 

Davis Vantage Pro 2 or Vantage Vue are probably the 2 best for the money. I have the Pro 2 and have had it for about 9 or 10 years now and have had to replace the humidity sensor twice due to the extreme humidity we have every year. Other than that, it has been extremely reliable.

• Like 2

I hope that you all don't mind me dropping in but I'm wondering how the weather is looking for Asheville next week, though it sounds a lot like it's been here the past few weeks. Anyway, we've never been there and have heard great things so we are hoping to get down before the summer passes by. Any tips on day hikes and breweries would be appreciated! 

Thanks!

On 8/3/2018 at 7:26 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

I hope that you all don't mind me dropping in but I'm wondering how the weather is looking for Asheville next week, though it sounds a lot like it's been here the past few weeks. Anyway, we've never been there and have heard great things so we are hoping to get down before the summer passes by. Any tips on day hikes and breweries would be appreciated! 

Thanks!

The forum is kinda dead this time of year so sorry for the late response. Can't really reccomend any hiking areas, but my personal al preference for beer is Wicked Weed Brewery. Been there MANY times and it's always a good place to go to. There's also an Irish pub that I'm gonna look up now to check the name of that I really like. Welcome to the area!

Edit* irish pub is named Jack of the Wood 

On 8/3/2018 at 7:26 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

Thanks!

Check out the Art Loeb trail, you can't go wrong.  You can also take the Parkway South of town to Mt. Pisgah ( when you get here look SW of the city and it's the mountain towering over everything with the TV tower on it.). There's a short trail that leads to an old lookout tower that you can climb most of the way up on.  The view is unparalleled.  Also the arboretum is great but you have to pay for admission.  And breweries... That depends on your beer preference.  If you enjoy IPAs I favor New Belgium or Highland.  Wicked Weed is okay, but it's real touristy.  If you like sour beer then Greenman is the place.  

On 8/8/2018 at 9:17 AM, AsheCounty48 said:

The forum is kinda dead this time of year so sorry for the late response. Can't really reccomend any hiking areas, but my personal al preference for beer is Wicked Weed Brewery. Been there MANY times and it's always a good place to go to. There's also an Irish pub that I'm gonna look up now to check the name of that I really like. Welcome to the area!

Edit* irish pub is named Jack of the Wood 

On 8/9/2018 at 9:23 AM, Buckethead said:

Check out the Art Loeb trail, you can't go wrong.  You can also take the Parkway South of town to Mt. Pisgah ( when you get here look SW of the city and it's the mountain towering over everything with the TV tower on it.). There's a short trail that leads to an old lookout tower that you can climb most of the way up on.  The view is unparalleled.  Also the arboretum is great but you have to pay for admission.  And breweries... That depends on your beer preference.  If you enjoy IPAs I favor New Belgium or Highland.  Wicked Weed is okay, but it's real touristy.  If you like sour beer then Greenman is the place.  

Thanks for the responses! Man, we loved Asheville and the surrounding area. Just beautiful and your summer climate is way better than Bmore's. Anyway, I hadn't seen the responses until we got back home but we did go south one day on the parkway and we stopped into the Mt Pisgah lodge for a beer and take in the view, then we hiked Black Balsam for a couple miles up to the balds. Really beautiful. On the way back into town that day, we did the short and steep walk/hike up to Devils Courthouse. Another day we went north, hung out with a bear on the Parkway, then made our way to Mt. Mitchell and hiked from there to Mt Craig. We would have liked more time to continue on that ridge because it was gorgeous and felt so far away from anything. Just spectacular scenery you've got down there.

While in Asheville we stayed in some condos just south of the hospital and directly across the street from Hi-Wire Big Top location, and got a lot of great advice from the bartender, Jeremy. Maybe it's because it was our first stop when we got into town and so close to where we stayed, but my gf and I really enjoyed that place and loved their juicy fresh ne style IPA. During our stay, we also stopped in One World Brewing, Asheville Brewing, Green Man, Funkatorium, Burial, White Labs, Fat Tire, Wedge, and Zillicoah.

In most cases, we'd split a flight between us, and just hang out enjoying the scene. There wasn't a place we didn't enjoy, and though we didn't make it to Wicked Weed, their Funkatorium was memorable for the selection and quality of sours. As a homebrewer, I also enjoyed White Labs because they ferment otherwise the same beers in different yeast strains. I thought that was pretty cool. And their pizzas are outstanding after a day of hiking. Though the taco truck at Zillicoah was really awesome too.

Anyway, it was an excellent trip and already making plans for a return, maybe in the fall.

eta:  I'll be putting some photos in the Mid Atlantic Banter thread if anyone wants to see them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...