• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2018 Mountains and Foothills Spring/Summer thread

10 hours ago, BooneWX said:

Summer, the most underrated part of mountain weather. The rest of the southeast bakes in 90+ degree weather and sultry humidity and most days are at worse, in the low 80s with some stickiness and a light breeze. 

I concur and it always cools off at night.  As for the piedmont and coastal folks; I want to offer my condolences during this time of sorrow.  Maybe this will help:

https://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/mcmwebcam.cfm

(live webcam at McMurdo Station)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BooneWX said:

Summer, the most underrated part of mountain weather. The rest of the southeast bakes in 90+ degree weather and sultry humidity and most days are at worse, in the low 80s with some stickiness and a light breeze. 

Very true statement, and a pox upon your immortal soul for reminding us flat landers of what is to come.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/pox+on

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2018 at 7:54 PM, BooneWX said:

It about achieved that today. Hot and humid! Reached 76.7 and it felt like a steam bath. I can't remember the last time it was in the upper 70's in the middle of May.

We're moving to Salter Path this weekend. As always, enjoyed talking "winter" with you people. Can't believe this was my 15th year on this forum. See you guys late September. Have a great summer.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2018 at 7:06 PM, SnoJoe said:

It about achieved that today. Hot and humid! Reached 76.7 and it felt like a steam bath. I can't remember the last time it was in the upper 70's in the middle of May.

We're moving to Salter Path this weekend. As always, enjoyed talking "winter" with you people. Can't believe this was my 15th year on this forum. See you guys late September. Have a great summer.

I would think at times you will be getting night time lows warmer than 76.7 F at Salter Path.  You must like the extremes; high elevation winter and coastal summers; have fun at the beach.

The rain really has set in; maybe some of our friends in Transylvania County will report with some rain totals...

18 hours ago, Rainforrest said:

Flood warning issued multiple road closures and roads washed out. We have had between 5 and 6 inches of rain across the county so far. 

Glad it slowed down yesterday afternoon we will see what happens today.  Don't need to be adding to a 1/2 foot of rain.

21 hours ago, Rainforrest said:

I’m so ready for this rain to stop 

So am I.  NWS GSP is hinting at the area being being effected by a tropical system next weekend and ended the long range forecast discussion with this little gem; uggh:

Without much of a break through the period, as mentioned in the WPC morning discussion, the
overall pattern is pointing to a heavier rainfall trend.

Sounding grim for Memorial Day weekend and beyond per GSP discussion:

Meanwhile another incoming weak shortwave will approach the Great Lakes on Saturday,
briefly phasing with the upper tropical low before moving on its
merry way and leaving the tropical system to continue to rain out
somewhere across the South...
 Whatever happens with the tropical system, the problem is that global models are all pointing
to a very wet period starting this weekend and going through the end
of the forecast period (and later). With fairly wet antecedent
conditions, this could be problematic.

Jeez, you guys hang on up there.

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for northeast Georgia, piedmont
North Carolina, western North Carolina and upstate South Carolina.

.DAY ONE...Tonight.

With plenty of moisture in place, localized flooding is possible
tonight from any heavy downpours associated with scattered showers
and thunderstorms.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Saturday through Thursday.

..Saturday...Heavy rain possible.
..Sunday...Heavy rain with flooding possible. Tropical moisture
interacting with a frontal zone may bring organized heavy rainfall
back to the region.
..Monday...Heavy rain with flooding possible.
..Tuesday...Heavy rain with flooding possible.
..Wednesday...Heavy rain with flooding possible.
..Thursday...Heavy rain with flooding possible.

NC Emergency ManagemVerified account @NCEmergency 4m4 minutes ago

McDowell Co. experiencing most significant flooding since 2004 during Hurricane Frances/Ivan; some WNC areas have seen 15-16" of rain in past 2 weeks. Add'tl 1-2" rain likely in mtns today, continuing chance for flooding/landslides. Saturated soils=downed trees #BeReadyNC! #ncwxDedBhqcXUAAjtZl.jpg