Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I have never had the desire to go up in one of those things, like skydiving, it is low on my priority list for risky activities.

22 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I have never had the desire to go up in one of those things, like skydiving, it is low on my priority list for risky activities.

Pretty sad story.  Any "plane" where you can stick a selfie stick out and take a pic is a no go for me...

Also, not a fan of those sightseeing planes, and helicopters--seem like you are always hearing about those going down somewhere.  Im sure if you look at the data, its probably safer than driving in a car everyday, but just not for me.   I guess Im risk averse..lol

Image result for glider plane

17 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That’s interesting, having seen them operate for decades here (apparently the company was established in 1967), I never got the impression it was an especially risky activity like skydiving or base jumping etc. – everyday folks from around here or tourists go up all the time.  It seemed like the risk would be in line with riding in other small aircraft, or even safer since engine failure isn’t an issue.  Presumably the NTSB or FAA have stats on that, so it would be interesting to find out about the statistics on crashes etc.

It sounds like the comparison is challenging though, here’s a discussion where some people discussed it and one person sort of made the attempt at a comparison:

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/51566/are-there-any-data-on-the-safety-rate-of-gliders-vs-single-engine-ga-aircraft

15 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Pretty sad story.  Any "plane" where you can stick a selfie stick out and take a pic is a no go for me...

Also, not a fan of those sightseeing planes, and helicopters--seem like you are always hearing about those going down somewhere.  Im sure if you look at the data, its probably safer than driving in a car everyday, but just not for me.   I guess Im risk averse..lol

When we were out at the Grand Canyon a few weeks ago, the airport at the Skywalk was like a military base.  Constant stream of helicopter's taking off and landing.  We didn't do that, mainly because I am a cheap S.O.B. and had already paid $82 each to walk on the thing.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

When we were out at the Grand Canyon a few weeks ago, the airport at the Skywalk was like a military base.  Constant stream of helicopter's taking off and landing.  We didn't do that, mainly because I am a cheap S.O.B. and had already paid $82 each to walk on the thing.

I did a stop at the Grand Canyon skywalk in '09 when I drove from the west coast to east coast. Definitely pretty cool.  Pictures definitely don't do the Grand Canyon justice compared to in person IMO.

57 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I did a stop at the Grand Canyon skywalk in '09 when I drove from the west coast to east coast. Definitely pretty cool.  Pictures definitely don't do the Grand Canyon justice compared to in person IMO.

Agree.  I'm not a very good photographer to begin with but my pics seemed so flat compared to the real thing.

15 hours ago, mreaves said:

It's a sad one and quite the news locally.  The owner was well known.  He was the town pilot.  You have to imagine this type of tourist activity and local fun has elevated it to this status where this type of accident hits hard.  At first I remember thinking it was sort of a crazy idea.  Then I watched them fly and glide over/around the mountain for 10 years.  Sometimes during operations you see them 5-6 times a day.  The pilot launches from MVL with the glider in tow...as you approach Mansfield the glider is released and you sail over it and then loop around it and back to the airport.  You see it happen so many times, it makes you think it's safer than riding on a school bus.  My wife and I took a ride a couple years ago.  She was just talking about how she would want to do another ride soon when we were driving to Mo'ville a couple days ago and passed the air field.

Yesterday afternoon, police alerted mountain operations to the possibility of a glider down on Spruce Peak as that was the last location they had when they pinged the cell phone(s).  Myself and two other employees were able to head out immediately and were able to sweep all the ski trails at Spruce on vehicle without finding anything.  Then at 5:30pm or so we got word that the glider was found wrecked out in the trees on Sterling/Whiteface Mountain.  It was in steep, tight conifers and found nose straight down.  A few friends were on the search team that ensued deep into the evening well above the Beaver Meadows recreational area.

Then this news followed...

9:35 p.m.: Search and rescue crews reach the downed glider and find all three persons aboard dead. Representatives of Vermont State Police, Stowe Mountain Rescue, Morrisville Police, Stowe Police, local fire departments and the Vermont Agency of Transportation all contribute to the search effort.

StoweSoaring.thumb.jpg.afc47d91b119914eff3fa6c10f6cfc47.jpg

Wife and I had a similar trip, up over the summit and back around the Spine.

14700770_10102692074493000_2416395713921

August liquid here at our site came in at 3.25”, which is ~0.80” (~20%) below average, but much closer to average than July was.  Calendar year liquid is at 30.36”, which is ~5” (~14%) below average, and with one month left, water year liquid is 42.14”, running ~12% below average.  Looking back at this year’s monthly numbers, it was definitely that May, June, and July stretch that was the most notably dry.

August finished 1.9° AN, 3rd warmest of 21 here. 

Avg. high:  75.4   0.4 AN, middle of the road.  Highest was a modest 84, on the 7th and 29th.
Avg. low:  56.1    3.4 AN, #1 for mildest minima.   Lowest was 44, on the 31st.

Precip was 4.85", 0.83" AN.  his brings met summer to 0.67" AN, though the 2.8" deficit in May remains a factor in the water table.  The 4th brought 2.15" of stratiform rain, 3rd greatest 1-day rain event in August, though less than half of what Irene brought.