Total Members
    Most Online
    amincds
    Newest Member
    amincds

2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season Tracking Thread

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I'm in. You all supply the beer and I'll be the taxi. :D

I can't believe we're talking about this in the tropical thread lol but it'd be pretty fun to do a forum chase. Rent a cabin and just go. Ten years of snow in 3 days. 

• Like 1

Man this is a werid system even this far north.  It's nearly 90 degrees in Virginia Beach.  Impressive warm, humid airmass ahead of Michael.  I'd go so far as to say there's a non-zero risk of a spinny as far north as DC and you could see that watch box gets extended into southern Maryland later tonight.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Of course Michael has been the show for the past few days, but it seems like Leslie has been meandering out in the Atlantic forever.

Considering that she formed from some of Florence's energy/moisture, she can be traced back to that wave exiting Africa in the last week of August.

I'm hoping she just keeps doing loops until Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

The tropical forum makes my face hurt from facepalming.

Q for the mets: how much of a difference can there be from surface obs (side question: are reported winds taken at ground level or at 10m?) vs 10m and in making the sustained winds extrapolation do they use the power law eq estimate to the official sustained winds definition?

27 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

41/g56 at KRIC is very impressive. Almost 600,000 power outages in NC now and more than 300,000 outages in VA. 

Wow. That's really impressive. Michael continues to over perform. 

I'm not there, but I'm watching the VA Beach obs. Ho mum so far but things will pick up in the next few hours. 

ETA: Per the advisories have been having the pressure falling ever so slightly over land. Something I was wondering aloud about last night. 

Looks like Norfolk gusted to 55 and Virginia Beach gusted to 63 last night. It was a very narrow period of strong winds. 

Given the calendar, we should see a quick drop off in tropical potential in the next two weeks. With the pattern change, I think this is likely the last hurrah unless we get something in the homebrew region.

Some of the videos in the main thread are NUTS, I wonder if Michael gets posthumously awarded cat 5 status.  Pretty fortuitous it didn’t hit a major population center like Tampa. 

Just returned home from central NC. We departed Thurs and left earlier than planned to avoid the storm. (Partially successful). Last hour driving in monsoon rain over Falls Lake Thursday. Was safely at son's house near RDU when strong winds hit about 1700 local. Quite spotty and quite gusty. Not all that much tree damage, but power issues closed many businesses for the weekend. Friday was clear and very nice. Driving back on 85 & 95 saw about 10 downed trees. Rivers high and some at flood, but all passable. 

1.90" found in my home gauge today since Thursday a.m..(Davis electra-gauge failed at 0.62" with a small twig stuck in it.)

• Like 1