Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
General Severe Weather Discussion 2018

weatherwiz

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

What I said was I will not just pull over if I'm doing 70-75+ (especially when speed limit is only 55) b/c the person behind me wants to do 80...90 mph.

This logic always boggled my mind. Who decided that your level of breaking the speed limit is acceptable, but any further is so egregious as to require citizen policing? If you're doing 20 over, and knowingly cause even worse speeders to try dangerous maneuvers to get around you, you've really surrendered all moral high ground...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nice glad to see you deleted that Meh response to Ryan you posted last night. W and CCT under the gun

Lol that’s funny.

With the EML in place especially southern areas watch for some elevated stuff making it to the coast.

• Like 1

• Baroclinic Zone changed the title to General Severe Weather Discussion 2018
Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Seems timing might be an issue and of course we deal with our marine air friend but we will have to see what tomorrow brings, NAM can be severe happy.

As always, the usual caveats apply.  Seems like our best severe events are with W or WNW flow.  I don't expect anything crazy around here with this but a few boomers may be in the offering.

• Like 1

What's impressive this morning is that the EML looks even more legit. NAM and GFS close to 8c/km with mid level lapse rates.

The SREF also is bumping up the CAPE - especially over CT - and now has some pretty impressive sig tor probabilities showing up. 

NAMNE_con_lapse57_039.png

SREF_prob_combined_sigtor__f033.gif

• Like 1

May be one of those days when Danbury up through Litchfield gets baseballs while the marine influence tamps things down on the immediate coast. Still, impressive to see LRs greater than 8 C/km. When was the last time we saw that? 6/11? As an aside, looking at the scale above, I see it maxes out at 12 C/km. I didn't know that was even possible. I thought parcels rising dry adiabatically (sic?) was closer to 10.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

May be one of those days when Danbury up through Litchfield gets baseballs while the marine influence tamps things down on the immediate coast. Still, impressive to see LRs greater than 8 C/km. When was the last time we saw that? 6/11? As an aside, looking at the scale above, I see it maxes out at 12 C/km. I didn't know that was even possible. I thought parcels rising dry adiabatically (sic?) was closer to 10.

The last time was maybe 7/15/95? Lapse rates 6/1/11 were only around 7.5 I believe. Maybe one of the events in 2002 approached 8

• Thanks 1

HREF is going pretty nuts tomorrow across the northeast, albeit convection from today is certainly a factor. Certainly don't see lapse rates that close to dry adiabatic this far east very often at all, and when they are juxtaposed with rather strong shear -> higher end severe possible.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s a big Tor potential. Could be an infamous day in our SNE annals

I don't see it. Maybe from a storm interaction or some locally backed winds for whatever reason.

The 6z NAM was concerning with the tor potential but all the other models veer the low level winds after the morning. You're left with straight hodographs. Any tornado potential is definitely very isolated. If something changes - like a mesolow or something that can serve to back low level winds like the 6z NAM had then I'll be more interested. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

I don't see it. Maybe from a storm interaction or some locally backed winds for whatever reason.

The 6z NAM was concerning with the tor potential but all the other models veer the low level winds after the morning. You're left with straight hodographs. Any tornado potential is definitely very isolated. If something changes - like a mesolow or something that can serve to back low level winds like the 6z NAM had then I'll be more interested. 

The purely unidirectional component aloft and why flow is aligned with the front screams linear storm mode. Maybe some discrete ahead of it...can't rule out winds staying a bit backed in the Valley but I think we'll see multiple lines of storms. However...the NAM/GFS do increase the LLJ like right over SNE late afternoon so if somehow the sfc winds are more SW or S it could get a tad interesting 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Euro with a 7/10 split 

I feel like this is our biggest killer in these setups...its not that the EML plume weakens or mixes it's that the plume of best EML air moves out to sea before anything can happen with it. Tough to gauge...this is something that isn't modeled extremely well. I did notice though that between the 9z SREF and 15z SREF it appeared the plume was moving east a bit quicker.