Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
General Severe Weather Discussion 2018

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, sbos_wx said:

I'd really love to get one of these storms. Looks like the Providence to Boston force field is fully operational right now. 

Beastly skies man... The outflow wedges have particularly dark bottoms with jagged tendrils extending a considerable distance, set before chalk board smooth rain curtains that tint slightly green at the cloud seam.  

That's what came through here in Shrewsbury, and the rain was thick like fog ... white noising over that metal plated roof like you had to speak over it -

44 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Beastly skies man... The outflow wedges have particularly dark bottoms with jagged tendrils extending a considerable distance, set before chalk board smooth rain curtains that tint slightly green at the cloud seam.  

That's what came through here in Shrewsbury, and the rain was thick like fog ... white noising over that metal plated roof like you had to speak over it -

Bright sunshine here and not a drop in Dorchester unfortunately. 

53 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

img_4467.jpg

tough call...

if it's not fake - and no offense... the question has to be asked in this era of complete transparently honest, wild-wild west internet ... - it's not entirely clear that's drilled into the updraft of that impressive storm.

It could be a gustnado - which is a real phenomenon, no joke.  

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

tough call...

if it's not fake - and no offense... the question has to be asked in this era of complete transparently honest, wild-wild west internet ... - it's not entirely clear that's drilled into the updraft of that impressive storm.

It could be a gustnado - which is a real phenomenon, no joke.  

It's not a gustnado. I've seen plenty and they don't look like that, they don't connect with the cloud base, most are just funnel-less dust whirls. That said, the photo looks very sketchy if it's purporting to show a tornado. I suppose it could be, but the ruler-straight "funnel" looks more like a reflection of some kind to me. Would need more info to make a real judgement, such as where and exactly when the pic was taken.

FWIW, there were indeed a couple of waterspouts in Jersey yesterday, pics are available online, for instance: https://patch.com/new-jersey/barnegat-manahawkin/incredible-video-pictures-waterspout-lbi

5 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

The feature Tip (presumably) and I were looking at is clearly a reflection, it goes right into the road in this second pic. Still, it's a nice pic of a nice storm, just no tornado.

Yea I had to crop the pics in order to upload, which also zooms it in. But he said he saw it live for about 30 secs, max, it was quick....and if you look at the first pic, the thin funnel/spout is behind the power lines that drape across the street. It was clearly ‘inside’ the storm. 

Interesting looking regardless. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

NAM is rather impressive on Friday.

I'm intrigued.

Up this way there are questions about how far north the warm front gets, but along and just south of it the forecast soundings are pretty good looking. Mostly below 3 km, but sometimes that all you need.

More shallow spinners?

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It just depends on warm front location and any leftover WAA convection and debris clouds. Might last through Friday night as decent upper level support accompanies this.

Shear does increase late afternoon into the early overnight. Nice little ULJ too 

18 hours ago, ct_yankee said:

It's not a gustnado. I've seen plenty and they don't look like that, they don't connect with the cloud base, most are just funnel-less dust whirls. That said, the photo looks very sketchy if it's purporting to show a tornado. I suppose it could be, but the ruler-straight "funnel" looks more like a reflection of some kind to me. Would need more info to make a real judgement, such as where and exactly when the pic was taken.

FWIW, there were indeed a couple of waterspouts in Jersey yesterday, pics are available online, for instance: https://patch.com/new-jersey/barnegat-manahawkin/incredible-video-pictures-waterspout-lbi

Dude, there's no physical limitation on gustnados connecting to cloud base and yes I've seen those too.   

That said ... yeah, the idea of that being a reflection occurred to me too.. but at last there is clear pixelation in that image that agrees.   

It's too bad that general frame wasn't looped tho, because it does take on the a bit of the lenticular look of a meso. 

21 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

This has been one of the worst summers for lack of t-storms in my area that I can recall.  I think there has been maybe 2-3 storms.

Zero storms for me.  This has got to be some type of record.  Lots of distant lightning/thunder, mostly all to my immediate south.  Wonder what is the technical definition of a thunderstorm is?  If you see a lightning strike or hear thunder several miles away while you get light rain is that considered a thunderstorm?  If it is then my count is much higher.

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Zero storms for me.  This has got to be some type of record.  Lots of distant lightning/thunder, mostly all to my immediate south.  Wonder what is the technical definition of a thunderstorm is?  If you see a lightning strike or hear thunder several miles away while you get light rain is that considered a thunderstorm?  If it is then my count is much higher.

I hope so or I haven’t had a real thunderstorm in several years LOL

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

If you stumble upon fresh bear crap in the woods, is it considered crap and could you be in danger? I think so.