SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
General Severe Weather Discussion 2018

weatherwiz

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Chris  WMASS news wants to use your pics check your PM

OK, thanks.   Check your inbox.

It will be the lead interview in tomorrow's greenfield recorder report on the storm.   Apparently there were dozens of trees down around town with rescue services being flat out all night.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Tough call on wind speeds since the tree probably came down on the wires and caused the pole to snap, but given the tree alone you're probably pushing a 70 mph gust.

Can't see the break point on the tree, so unable to know if there was defect predisposing it for defeat.  However, H-V's description plus the windshield smashed by a flying limb certainly support your estimate.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Can't see the break point on the tree, so unable to know if there was defect predisposing it for defeat.  However, H-V's description plus the windshield smashed by a flying limb certainly support your estimate.

We need more tree experts on storm surveys. 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

We need more tree experts on storm surveys. 

Assuming that's a serious comment, I'd find that quite interesting, though I'm still working full time (for about another year) and thus would have limited availability.  An experienced arborist might do just as well, and probably better for tree damage in an urban environment.
Somewhat of a non sequitor, but related to the thread topic:  In 1986 straight line winds caused nearly 100% damage to about 600 acres 15 miles SE from Fort Kent.  It flattened a SW-NE swath 4 miles long and up to 1/2 mile wide, tossing trees into the north end of Square Lake before dissipating.   This event occurred quite late in season for strong convection up there, on Sept. 30.  (Ironically, they had 3-6" snow on the same date in 1991.)  The wind hit so suddenly on some acres that it snapped off large sound sugar maple 15-20 feet off the ground before the roots could be pulled out.  I've always figured such damage was high end for such events, perhaps 80-100 mph, but would appreciate what folks would say who have much quantitative damage assessment experience.

54 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Assuming that's a serious comment, I'd find that quite interesting, though I'm still working full time (for about another year) and thus would have limited availability.  An experienced arborist might do just as well, and probably better for tree damage in an urban environment.
Somewhat of a non sequitor, but related to the thread topic:  In 1986 straight line winds caused nearly 100% damage to about 600 acres 15 miles SE from Fort Kent.  It flattened a SW-NE swath 4 miles long and up to 1/2 mile wide, tossing trees into the north end of Square Lake before dissipating.   This event occurred quite late in season for strong convection up there, on Sept. 30.  (Ironically, they had 3-6" snow on the same date in 1991.)  The wind hit so suddenly on some acres that it snapped off large sound sugar maple 15-20 feet off the ground before the roots could be pulled out.  I've always figured such damage was high end for such events, perhaps 80-100 mph, but would appreciate what folks would say who have much quantitative damage assessment experience.

https://physicsworld.com/a/trees-break-at-fixed-wind-speed-irrespective-of-size-or-species/