Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
General Severe Weather Discussion 2018

weatherwiz

Just now, dendrite said:

Just my post 2 posts before you. I have over that total in like 2/3 of a month. :lol:

I just saw that as I posted.   I went to my spread sheet.   3.88" over this period for me and 9.21" for you.  Wow,  like you said in just the past couple of weeks or so you have had more rain than I have had since the end of April.  

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Since 7/17 here...

Date  Max   Min  Rain  Gust Snow Depth
07/17 76.0  66.8 1.07   11  0.0  0
07/18 74.9  54.2 0.00   18  0.0  0
07/19 78.5  48.1 0.00   10  0.0  0
07/20 82.8  53.3 0.00   10  0.0  0
07/21 77.6  53.2 0.00   11  0.0  0
07/22 69.5  55.8 0.42   10  0.0  0
07/23 81.5  69.3 0.52   16  0.0  0
07/24 85.1  70.0 0.26   20  0.0  0
07/25 81.8  69.5 0.80   19  0.0  0
07/26 78.1  63.9 0.54   10  0.0  0
07/27 84.9  60.2 0.45   15  0.0  0
07/28 82.9  62.2 1.26   25  0.0  0
07/29 78.8  58.0 0.00   11  0.0  0
07/30 78.7  54.6 0.00    9  0.0  0
07/31 82.5  59.7 0.00    9  0.0  0

08/01 74.9  61.5 0.90   10  0.0  0
08/02 85.9  67.9    T   20  0.0  0
08/03 83.1  66.3 1.50   19  Hail 0
08/04 78.7  65.5 0.24    9  0.0  0
08/05 85.2  62.3 0.00    9  0.0  0
08/06 88.8  63.2 0.00    9  0.0  0
08/07 88.5  67.1 0.02   24  0.0  0
08/08 84.5  65.5 1.23   10  0.0  0

Here are my MONTHLY totals for June/July and August to date

June 3.08"

July 1.97"

August 1.29"

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Just my post 2 posts before you. I have over that total in like 2/3 of a month. :lol:

Yeah that's crazy.  

Gene must be just far enough north to get into the zone we are in up here too.  That axis from like ALB-POU to CON-ORH has been very consistent drenching almost daily it seems.  

My dad was home in Albany the other day and said he had like 3.5" of rain in the garden gauge from that day alone (looks like the 4th of August on CoCoRAHS in that area was 2-4").  

Up here even JSpin's orographic jackpot zone is only 3.33" since July 1st.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that's crazy.  

Gene must be just far enough north to get into the zone we are in up here too.  That axis from like ALB-POU to CON-ORH has been very consistent drenching almost daily it seems.  

My dad was home in Albany the other day and said he had like 3.5" of rain in the garden gauge from that day alone (looks like the 4th of August on CoCoRAHS in that area was 2-4").  

I'm in the same boat as Spin

1 minute ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

I have a question for you guys... do you guys think life threatening lightning should be considered a severe thunderstorm warning?

Yes I have often said that. 

Kind of OT but there was an amazing stat given out this week. More people have drowned due to rip currents this summer than any other weather event. Heat driving peeps to the beach while the ocean has been churned by constant on shore long fetch. 

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that's crazy.  

No upslope for you.

I plan on getting LES again once the next ice age winds down. NW flow off of the Champlain Sea and Lake Winooski right over mi casa.

glaciallakes.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yes I have often said that. 

Kind of OT but there was an amazing stat given out this week. More people have drowned due to rip currents this summer than any other weather event. Heat driving peeps to the beach while the ocean has been churned by constant on shore long fetch. 

The reason why I asked is the fact that our met office didn’t even post any chance of rain for my area last night and we had the nastiest lightning I’ve probably ever seen in my life. 3 people got hit by lightning and one is in critical conditions down here in New York. 

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

No upslope for you.

I plan on getting LES again once the next ice age winds down. NW flow off of the Champlain Sea and Lake Winooski right over mi casa.

glaciallakes.jpg

Ha that's awesome!  I've never seen that before. 

The upslope into the Spine would be insane if Lake Champlain was a few miles wider. 

Looks like you could get some Finger Lake like streamers off Lake Merrimack and south of the CT River. 

Cyclonic flow after a nor'easter would be a lot more interesting or more folks if we were getting narrow bands of +SN falling downwind of those bodies of water in CT and Mass.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha that's awesome!  I've never seen that before. 

The upslope into the Spine would be insane if Lake Champlain was a few miles wider. 

Looks like you could get some Finger Lake like streamers off Lake Merrimack and south of the CT River. 

Cyclonic flow after a nor'easter would be a lot more interesting or more folks if we were getting narrow bands of +SN falling downwind of those bodies of water in CT and Mass.

Jerry remembers it well

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha yeah people have noticed the sun.  Its weird, the mountains often in the summer go through long stretches of afternoon t-storms and clouds that billow up around 1pm off the terrain...but not this year.  Just been dry dry dry.  

Thank god it isn't winter lol.  

Just saw the Underhill, VT CoCoRAHS station that is often one of the wettest spots in the state on Mansfield's west slope has had only 2.22" of rain since July 1st.  That's unheard of there during the summer months where storms unload moisture as they move from humid Champlain Valley air into the 4,000ft wall.  

Meanwhile down in Wilmington, VT by Mount Snow that station has had over 15" of water in that same time.

I’m kidding, but I know if I were vacationing up there, I’d want some sun. Especially with two kids lol.

Grass not as green here as other areas,  but it’s ok. Just enough rain and some watering to prevent the burnout from two years ago.

39 minutes ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

I have a question for you guys... do you guys think life threatening lightning should be considered a severe thunderstorm warning?

No. Any tstm has life threatening lightning and many non severe storms has similar or even more LTG than sever storms. So no, that aspect should not be included. It is understood any tstm can be hazardous.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No. Any tstm has life threatening lightning and many non severe storms has similar or even more LTG than sever storms. So no, that aspect should not be included. It is understood any tstm can be hazardous.

Every storm along the Gulf Coast would be warned.

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Wettest drought ever.

LOL

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Pete has been getting drenched just about everyday for a month. His area over to the NY border has been crazy

With the frequent mixing of snow he still managed to pick up 3".

I'm not sure how much more we might have picked up overnight.  I was awakened by thunder/lightning but the fan was masking the sound of rain.  Suffice it to say avery wet period.  Looks like a break for the next 36 hours out this way.

33 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Unreal how the rains are missing SE MA.  

Wind direction has been brutal to maintain anything surface based. Providence to Boston is that fringe area that can benefit from seabreeze collapse. 

We need synoptic rain or a unidirectional event. Or elevated or something from you.

12 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Wind direction has been brutal to maintain anything surface based. Providence to Boston is that fringe area that can benefit from seabreeze collapse. 

We need synoptic rain or a unidirectional event. Or elevated or something from you.

It’s more than that. CAPE has been there,  but there has been lots of ridging or subsidence east of ORH. When heights rise, That is a killer. Great for the beaches but not lawns. It’s been better lately.