Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
General Severe Weather Discussion 2018

weatherwiz

Oops. Box's tweet around 5 P.M.  

NWS BostonVerified account @NWSBoston 5h5 hours ago

More

[Evening Update] given temperatures are not rapidly (less than 6C/KM) decreasing with height aloft & vertical wind shear is weak (less than 20 kt), #thunderstorms will weaken with sunset and NOT persist overnight. Thus drying trend as the evening progresses. #MA #RI #CT

41 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Best lightning for me in many, many years.  So many close strikes earlier, house rattling piercing type thunder and just prolific lightning both in cloud and cloud to ground.   Power off an on several times.  It's been one hell of a stormy night. 

A classic.....I had to turn the lights on dim in the kids bedrooms to mask the flashes....they wouldn’t like the bright flashes....the thunder can’t do much....and now poof....all gone

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, OceanStWx said:

I'm guessing the tornado project uses the NCEI Storm Events Database (https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/stormevents/ also 1950-present). 

Going back beyond that you'll probably have to sift through a combination of Storm Data, and things like the Grazulis book on significant tornadoes.

Thank you for the information. The Grazulis book on Amazon has a price range of $312-$3215.

10 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Best lightning for me in many, many years.  So many close strikes earlier, house rattling piercing type thunder and just prolific lightning both in cloud and cloud to ground.   Power off an on several times.  It's been one hell of a stormy night. 

Other circles of friends have been responding similar wrt to yesterday's activity. And, I saw some of that myself.  I had constant flickers in the activity as it neared northern Middlesex Co here in N. central Mass around 6:45 pm.   The thunder was softly crackling but was always doing so... with these overlapping "flicklets" ... Then, every so often, a more ominous low decibel reverberation loomed up from the horizon. 

Comparing yesterday with other days with thunderstorm activity so far this summer, most of the previous have been pedestrian lightning producers, and/or even sans lightning. There were loaded rain and at times ... outflow producers, but it's not been a crazy lightning strobe summer. 

My hunch is that has something to do with glaciation altitudes in the atmosphere.  Previous events were taking place at 585+ DAM, with thickness up into the mid 570s...  That means you have very tall atmosphere during those events - think ... heating a balloon.  The gas inside expands and the balloon grows...  But, for the purpose here, when you get these swelled up atmospheres, the glaciation levels tend to be rather high - or some anomaly therein.  Usually..., that is.  You can get transient scenarios where the glaciation heights are plummeting over top of an elevated thickness column, and then ...well, you get more lightning that way. 

Or, you get more lightning any time you have more mass suspended in that ice layer of the CB total structure.  There's on-going research ...right down to quantum scales actually, that attempts to plumb the mysteries of lightning. I actually read one peer-reviewed and accepted paper that hypothesized cosmic rays as playing a critical role in triggering the discharges, as the polarity in-cloud is technically not enough to really overcome the ohm distribution of free air, such that the cosmic rays bombard the electrons and give them the final kick that cascades the discharge.  Excluding those exotic ideas .. the 101 classical hypothesis is that cloud morphology causes huge polarization (there are competing theories on what those physics are ..of course) of particulates suspended in those altitudes...  By the time the ice in the glaciated mass gets to that state, it is by process made to be very positively charged, for which ever and whatever process aside.  This is differential relative to the bottom of the cloud ... which in its self disparate to the surface of the Earth.  Pretty sure the model is + - + between Anvil and Earth.  

Given that model, ...it's logical to assume that the more mass passing through phase change toward glaciation/ice would enhance the electrical field/gradation, thus easier to attain the 4X10^2 volts/M^2 that is needed to overcome atmospheric resistance and ionize a channel for the discharges.  ... one can/should check that number. It's just an extension of the above line of reasoning ... thicker bulbous anvil plumes fire off bolts in every direction ...compared to these partial glaciation cores that may have 55 to 60 dbz chicken-drowning warm rains

As an after thought ... today may sport more of that crackle fest. 

After a sticky day with abundant deerflies in the woods of eastern Maine, I played "TS tag" for about 50 miles between BGR and Skowhegan.  Each turn in the road put the darkest/rainiest areas south/centered/north of where I was headed.  Finally caught up to warned TS between Skowhegan and Norridgwock, though north fringes only, saw sizable puddles within 3 miles of home, only "T" in the gauge.  Maybe next time.  (Though svr TS have hit within 10 miles in all directions dozens of times in my 20+ years here, only a 30-second gust in June 2005 that may or may not have reached 60 mph came close to svr at home.)

SPC expanded their Mrgl region to encompass much of the region ... S of Maine.. 

I just had one of those single pixel, 10 second jungle drop rain showers.  

These slow moving narrow cores are funny like that.  No thunder... and the cloud base is no broader than a single neighborhood. 

So... regional DPs appear to be a tick or two richer today, though the temperatures are a few less oppressive... Not sure what that swap-out means for SBCAPE.

Given to CU field morphology I'd have to argue that mid llv heights are more inviting updrafts today -  but there may not be as many triggers/mechanics for sustaining 

5 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I’ve beeb trying to get that book for years but the $$$$ is crazy 

Hmm... I have Grazulis' 30 page "New England Tornadoes" pamphlet, wonder if that's worth anything? Actually I'm sure it isn't, I got it for free way back when I bought the Tornado Video Classic tapes, but it's actually very useful, has entries on every New England tornado going all the way back to the 1700s (it stops at 2000 when it was written), plus some track maps which are pretty cool. I would love to have the big book as well, I remember almost buying it, but it was just a bit more than I was willing to spend... Too bad, sounds like it would actually have been a pretty good investment.

6 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

Hmm... I have Grazulis' 30 page "New England Tornadoes" pamphlet, wonder if that's worth anything? Actually I'm sure it isn't, I got it for free way back when I bought the Tornado Video Classic tapes, but it's actually very useful, has entries on every New England tornado going all the way back to the 1700s (it stops at 2000 when it was written), plus some track maps which are pretty cool. I would love to have the big book as well, I remember almost buying it, but it was just a bit more than I was willing to spend... Too bad, sounds like it would actually have been a pretty good investment.

Every office I've worked at has had it in the library (ours is the version to 1991, but post 1950 tornadoes are relatively easy to get at).

The depth of research to get all significant tornadoes (and those including fatalities) is amazing, and the reason he can command that money.

7/4/1898 1530 3k 120 inj 1007 1 m F1 Hampton, NH

A tornado moved SE across the resort community of Hampton Beach. Three people were killed by falling timbers in a skating rink where over 100 people had taken shelter from a thunderstorm. Twenty cottages were torn apart. Five people drowned as a yacht overturned, but those deaths may have been caused by peripheral microburst winds. No one at the beach, in the panic, noticed a funnel. However, form a distance, one observer saw the tornado and thought that there was a fire at the beach.

45 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Hoist the FFW in Norfolk County?  Looks Like a stalled frontal boundary popping up some storms.  Just had a 10 minute downpour a little while ago,  Rumbling of thunder now too.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Boston/Norton MA
305 PM EDT WED AUG 8 2018

MAZ013-016>019-081945-
Eastern Plymouth MA-Northern Bristol MA-Western Norfolk MA-
Eastern Norfolk MA-Western Plymouth MA-
305 PM EDT WED AUG 8 2018

...STRONG THUNDERSTORMS FROM FOXBOROUGH TO STOUGHTON...

At 303 PM EDT, Doppler radar was tracking strong thunderstorms from
Foxborough to Stoughton, moving northeast at 20 mph.

Winds in excess of 30 mph, torrential downpours, and frequent
lightning will accompany this storm.

Locations impacted include...
Brockton, Quincy, Weymouth, Braintree, Randolph, Stoughton,
Mansfield, Easton, Hingham, Canton, Sharon, Rockland, Foxborough,
Abington, Whitman, Hanover, Holbrook, Norwell, West Bridgewater and
Avon.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Get indoors when this storm approaches. Winds may be strong enough to
produce minor damage, such as a few downed branches.

Do not drive through flooded roads or underpasses. Avoid low lying
areas near small streams.

Frequent lightning was occurring. Lightning can strike far away from
the storm. Go inside a building or vehicle. Wait at least 30 minutes
until after the storm has passed to resume outdoor activities.

&&

LAT...LON 4220 7087 4215 7082 4214 7080 4203 7108
      4200 7113 4209 7123 4225 7098
TIME...MOT...LOC 1903Z 240DEG 16KT 4212 7107

$$
Field

Flood Advisory
National Weather Service Boston/Norton MA
314 PM EDT WED AUG 8 2018

MAC021-025-082115-
/O.NEW.KBOX.FA.Y.0033.180808T1914Z-180808T2115Z/
/00000.N.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Norfolk MA-Suffolk MA-
314 PM EDT WED AUG 8 2018

The National Weather Service in Boston/Norton has issued a

* Flood Advisory for Minor Flooding in Poor Drainage Areas for...
  Northeastern Norfolk County in eastern Massachusetts...
  Central Suffolk County in eastern Massachusetts...

* Until 515 PM EDT.

* At 314 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to
  thunderstorms. This will cause minor flooding. Overflowing poor
  drainage areas will result in minor flooding in the advisory area.
  Up to one inch of rain has already fallen.

* Some locations that will experience minor flooding include...
  Boston, Cambridge, Quincy, Brookline, Weymouth, Revere, Chelsea,
  Hingham, Winthrop and Hull.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Flood Advisory is issued for minor flooding of roads or underpasses
that usually flood in heavy rain. Do not drive through flooded roads.

&&

LAT...LON 4241 7097 4235 7094 4229 7084 4227 7087
      4230 7088 4226 7088 4225 7089 4226 7090
      4225 7092 4223 7093 4235 7112 4236 7108
      4237 7107

$$

Belk

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

It was torrential here for an hour, a few minutes of hiatus and now back into rain though much less heavy. Several close CG strikes to boot.  Lights going out for a minute.  Resetting clocks ftl.

Yeah, I had spoken too soon it let up for a few minutes but is hammering again.

Just now, moneypitmike said:

I'm trying to figure out how it rained (poured) for so much longer here than there.

I think the initial burst hit you and scooted a little bit NE  of Greenfield.  You also might have had some lift enhanced precipitation off the hills that we did not initially get here.