Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
General Severe Weather Discussion 2018

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Maybe depressed of the lack of activity post May TOR.

Yeah it's been pretty dead outside of like one or two other decent events but they were mostly north of here. I didn't even get the chase (so far) to do any chasing around. When my friend was down late May/early June there was nothing at all in the Northeast and the couple days there have been stuff I was working. But we'll see what happens next spring. If this job becomes full time I'll get a week of paid vacation and I won't have school to deal with anymore either. 

6 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

No chance of anything decent Wednesday? 3k NAM looks to bring a decent line through associated with a cold front.

You mean Tuesday? Tuesday looks decent. I think we could see potential for a few embedded wet microbursts but I'm wondering if flash flooding will be the biggest concern...even with relatively dry grounds. PWATS surge to >2.5'' ahead of the front and the front becomes aligned parallel to the upper-level flow so that will really slow things down. Despite the poor lapse rates high dewpoints should help with decent updrafts and any pockets of stronger heating and steeper low-level lapse rates will help with the localized potential for strong-to-damaging wind gusts. 

32 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

You mean Tuesday? Tuesday looks decent. I think we could see potential for a few embedded wet microbursts but I'm wondering if flash flooding will be the biggest concern...even with relatively dry grounds. PWATS surge to >2.5'' ahead of the front and the front becomes aligned parallel to the upper-level flow so that will really slow things down. Despite the poor lapse rates high dewpoints should help with decent updrafts and any pockets of stronger heating and steeper low-level lapse rates will help with the localized potential for strong-to-damaging wind gusts. 

Ugh thanks yes Tuesday my bad. The sooner the dews are gone the happier I am lol hoping for a good storm when that happens too!

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hopefully some rains tomorrow for everyone. As usual in convective season there will likely be haves and have very littles when you get a line of storms 

Unfortunately it doesn’t look overt damaging or severe as the parameters are fairly meh in SNE. Probably a few isolated gusts and trees down 

frcst up here is anywhere from 0.25" to 2"+.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

CAMs have a pretty solid line moving through the area in the afternoon tomorrow. So at the moment it is looking like a widespread wetting rain, but maybe not widespread 2" stuff.

Where does the line form is my worry back here in Central NH.  Looks good further SE but Im worried that Im too far NW to get into the heaviest stuff.  So many fronts have had bad timing up here.

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Where does the line form is my worry back here in Central NH.  Looks good further SE but Im worried that Im too far NW to get into the heaviest stuff.  So many fronts have had bad timing up here.

My gut feeling is that if you miss the line, it's because you got nocturnal leftovers.

50 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

CAMs have a pretty solid line moving through the area in the afternoon tomorrow. So at the moment it is looking like a widespread wetting rain, but maybe not widespread 2" stuff.

yeah I think torrential downpours is greater threat than severe...there will be some wind damage and such but nothing atypical than what we usually get from these setups  

28 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

yeah I think torrential downpours is greater threat than severe...there will be some wind damage and such but nothing atypical than what we usually get from these setups  

Both the NAM and GFS are hinting at a H7 jet of around 50 knots in the prefrontal trough region (up in NNE) during the afternoon. That could make things a little more interesting than an isolated severe set up. 

But freezing levels near 14,000 ft and mean flow generally parallel to the front will definitely mean heavy rain for some.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Both the NAM and GFS are hinting at a H7 jet of around 50 knots in the prefrontal trough region (up in NNE) during the afternoon. That could make things a little more interesting than an isolated severe set up. 

But freezing levels near 14,000 ft and mean flow generally parallel to the front will definitely mean heavy rain for some.

NNE definitely has a shot at something more interesting than down this way. NNE also closer to the better jet dynamics at 500. Seems like we sort of crap out the dynamics down this way as the afternoon progresses. Strongest height falls also look to occur across NNE. Maybe SE NH or SW ME could be in a good spot. 

47 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

it's a phrase. 

there'll be pockets of wind damage...maybe even an isolated area of widespread damage if there happens to be a microburst. Most of the downed trees will probably be rotted trees that Bambi pissed on 

These super wet cells have a pretty good propensity for micro bursts. There will definitely be areas of wind damage 

39 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Slight risk for portions of the region. Hope everyone likes their microbursts wet and sloppy.

Pretty impressed by the 12z guidance on the look of the squall line. i still think it ends up fizzling as it propagates down into SNE but the slight risk area looks good for a few microbursts. 

Despite the decent CAPE/low-level moisture down this way I think the weakening upper-level dynamics hurt...also...I wonder if a more westerly sfc wind perhaps knocks the potential down a bit down this way? But we'll see what happens and whether the mid/upper level dynamics lacking become a player. This is the exact topic I am doing for senior research and I gotta get this going ASAP. 

Quite the difference between the NAM and NAM Nest. The later has decent (for our standards) mid-level lapse rates but gets much more heating and as a result has very steep low-level lapse rates along with backed llvl flow. Moderate cape too and great shear. Would suggest a decent wind damage event