Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
General Severe Weather Discussion 2018

weatherwiz

5 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

These tiny spin-ups don't necessarily fall into any particular category. Many years ago near East Haven I watched a small finger of condensation on the front edge of an approaching storm that was all the way in contact with the ground, but wasn't moving and definitely wasn't rotating, not at first. But as I watched, it gradually started to spin, from the top down - slowly at first, but then faster and faster until it eventually looked like a genuine tornado, spinning away like crazy until I lost it in the rain... What would you call something like that? This thing could be similar, who knows. 

Basically any rotating column of air, in contact with the ground is a tornado. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Basically any rotating column of air, in contact with the ground is a tornado. 

True, and I've always thought of what I saw as one, since it met the definition. But it wasn't really a landspout, and there was no mesocyclone present that I know of, and it wasn't really a gustnado either. So, are there other types of tornadoes? I think with these transitory spin-ups maybe there are. Lots of stuff out there we haven't yet classified.

2 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

True, and I've always thought of what I saw as one, since it met the definition. But it wasn't really a landspout, and there was no mesocyclone present that I know of, and it wasn't really a gustnado either. So, are there other types of tornadoes? I think with these transitory spin-ups maybe there are. Lots of stuff out there we haven't yet classified.

Your two basic categories are going to meso and non-mesocyclone tornadoes.

The former is your traditional supercellular storm that generally produces a tornado from the mid levels down (though certainly uses low level horizontal vorticity to stretch into the vertical). The latter is generally something that starts from the ground up. Convection passes over a boundary of some sort that features low level horizontal vorticity, and it is stretched into the vertical by the updraft. 

If they sound somewhat similar, you're right. The difference is potential strength. The mesocylonic tornado has both low and mid level rotation and thus can be much stronger. 

18 hours ago, tamarack said:

Small bright echoes appeared very close to my place (but downrange, as is common.)  Stuff to the NW appears to be weakening.  Probably another 20-drop event.

Was optimistic, as that "stuff to the NW" was DOA.  Saturday is looking weaker as well, though it's barely inside 100 hr.

54 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Was optimistic, as that "stuff to the NW" was DOA.  Saturday is looking weaker as well, though it's barely inside 100 hr.

Ended up rather isolated, And when that happens, I see nothing here and in most cases i get 7-10'd anyways, Precip this summer has been pretty scattered and hard to come by, Glad we irrigate the garden or that would be a disaster too.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Ended up rather isolated, And when that happens, I see nothing here and in most cases i get 7-10'd anyways, Precip this summer has been pretty scattered and hard to come by, Glad we irrigate the garden or that would be a disaster too.

even the dark cloud that moved over the house this a.m. didn't let out a drop. Lawn was actually starting to come around, but I can see it taking the usual turn for the worse again.

47 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Surprised at no mention of what happened in Portland yesterday.  Trees uprooted, boats capsized.  Unfortunately I was not in town to witness the carnage firsthand

Saw on the evening news where a Deering-area house got nailed by a large tree.  Homeowner being interviewed was in a surprisingly good mood, considering that her home had serious damage, including a hole in the roof and resultant water damage.

15 hours ago, CT Rain said:

29 years ago today. Woof. 

DhvwW2ZVMAER8IC.jpg

My first definite weather memory. I was five and we were coming home from Fishers Island. I first remember my parents commenting on how ominous the sky looked down the coast as we crossed the Sound on the ferry. As we approached East Haven, things went pretty bananas. I remember we were in traffic and the sky was ruddy green and then black, with frequent cloud to ground lightning. It began pouring and the wind was buffeting the car. As we got near the reservoir, my dad said something like, "What the hell is going on?" and indicated to a whole stand of pine trees off to the right that had been sheared off mid-trunk and metal road signs that were bent over. Once we got into New Haven, it took us hours to get to our house in Hamden. Our normal exits were blocked by fallen trees and we had to weave around back roads trying to find an open route home. I remember a roof across one street and tons of downed trees and lines. When we finally made it, we had half of a major pine down in the yard and two windows that had been knocked out by hail. Mind you we lived about 2 miles from where the tornado touched down. For years afterwards, when we'd drive through East Rock, there were large chunks of insulation and roofing hanging like confetti from the trees, which we believe were the remains of the roof of the Albertus Magnus gym.

Anecdotally, I belonged to a playgroup at the time that met at a house right in the tornado's path. The mother who oversaw it was from Kansas and she told us later that she took one look at the green sky, grabbed her kids and went straight to the basement. Her son had panic attacks every time he heard thunder for years after that. Also, my godparents lived about a quarter mile from the worst damage and I remember my godmother pointing out a badly damaged oak tree on their street that had a slate shingle embedded a good three inches into it. Wonder if it's still there... My uncle lived not far from the touchdown too (he was right in the middle of the May tornado this year on Gaylord Mtn Rd) and he said from his basement window the air took on a weirdly yellow/brown color and he could see debris going sideways down his street at tremendous speed. Anyway, a special day in NE weather history.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

Mile 50-51 on i93 was ravaged by hail. Lots of leaf debris and the smell of vegetation through that stretch. 

I took a ride down to that area mid day today exploring side roads and then coming back north on Rt 93.  Just to the west of Rt 93 looks like microburst damage off one road.  I counted about 20 large trees down.  Coming back north on Rt 93 I stopped at the Canterbury Rest Stop which is in that mile marker 50-51.  Spoke to the attendant on duty.  He showed me pictures on his phone.  Silver dollar and ice cube size hail.  The ground was white.  Cars were dented.  His car was totaled he said from hail damage.  Showed me pictures of his hood with tons of dents.  His car's windows were not broken but some people getting off Rt 93 were.  Amazingly I still found hail on the ground, 20 hours after the storm.  Here is a picture of that, still quarter size after all those hours.

hail.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Wow. Unreal that it hadn’t melted yet. 

Depends on how much fell.  24 hours after the Rome defoliator of 8/30/2007, which had hail accumulation up to 4" (mostly dimes-nickels), there were still runoff-built piles 2 feet deep, though the cloudy 60s on the 31st helped.  On my drive home from work, I stopped and put a few handfuls in a small bag to show my wife.  The morning commute had featured more piles, a remaining bit of "broadcast" white, and a 2-track thru 6" of leaf salad for about a mile on Rt 27.  I still kick myself for not driving out to look at dusk the day before, when I'd first heard about what had happened just 6-8 miles from home.

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Depends on how much fell.  24 hours after the Rome defoliator of 8/30/2007, which had hail accumulation up to 4" (mostly dimes-nickels), there were still runoff-built piles 2 feet deep, though the cloudy 60s on the 31st helped.  On my drive home from work, I stopped and put a few handfuls in a small bag to show my wife.  The morning commute had featured more piles, a remaining bit of "broadcast" white, and a 2-track thru 6" of leaf salad for about a mile on Rt 27.  I still kick myself for not driving out to look at dusk the day before, when I'd first heard about what had happened just 6-8 miles from home.

I would have bagged it up for ice use.............lol

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

If you stop by northbound the older guy behind the counter can show you his car.  He is 76 and said he had never seen anything like it.  He has pics on his iphone of the white ground and the dense fog afterwards.  He said the hail was 2" deep.  The gardens got trashed there.  

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I took a ride down to that area mid day today exploring side roads and then coming back north on Rt 93.  Just to the west of Rt 93 looks like microburst damage off one road.  I counted about 20 large trees down.  Coming back north on Rt 93 I stopped at the Canterbury Rest Stop which is in that mile marker 50-51.  Spoke to the attendant on duty.  He showed me pictures on his phone.  Silver dollar and ice cube size hail.  The ground was white.  Cars were dented.  His car was totaled he said from hail damage.  Showed me pictures of his hood with tons of dents.  His car's windows were not broken but some people getting off Rt 93 were.  Amazingly I still found hail on the ground, 20 hours after the storm.  Here is a picture of that, still quarter size after all those hours.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

That is impressive. And hail dents and broken windows has to be at least golf balls, but the closest we have seen reported is just over 1" from a picture on WMUR.