Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
General Severe Weather Discussion 2018

weatherwiz

14 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Small bright echoes appeared very close to my place (but downrange, as is common.)  Stuff to the NW appears to be weakening.  Probably another 20-drop event.

Watching a nice line of storms that is getting going.  Trajectory looks to take it about 5-10 miles south of me.  Brian and Eek may do very well.  Very frustrating when you really need rain and watch the town next to you get a drenching.  

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Watching a nice line of storms that is getting going.  Trajectory looks to take it about 5-10 miles south of me.  Brian and Eek may do very well.  Very frustrating when you really need rain and watch the town next to you get a drenching.  

Decent cell on the Grafton/Sullivan Co line, but small updraft at the moment. We'll see if they can expand and become something more substantial.

Based on WV it looks like the surface cold front fired the initial stuff, but eventually the pre-frontal trough got unstable enough to pop the recent activity. The jet is starting to move downstream of the surface cold front allowing the pre-frontal trough to take over.

A friend (ha, a very ditzy one just called).  Just drove from Concord NH past Exit 20 on Rt 93.  She said the storm had already moved through but that there was a lot of "ice and snow" on the ground and many branches down.  Trying to pinpoint exactly where she saw it and details were impossible but I was able to get out of her that it was closer to Exit 20 than Concord.  Needless to say, there must have been  a lot of hail on the ground since she said the ground looked like snow..

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

A friend (ha, a very ditzy one just called.  Just drove from Concord NH past Exit 20 on Rt 93.  She said the storm had already moved through but that there was a lot of "ice and snow" l on the ground and many branches down.  Trying to pinpoint exactly where she saw it and details were impossible but I was able to get out of her that it was closer to Exit 20 than Concord.  Needless to say, there must have been  a lot of hail on the ground since she said the ground looked like snow..

Here's a radar frame where it was over 93.

Time stamp is 05:17:41PM

2018-07-10_180404.jpg

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Not BDL, but Ryan FTW!

http://ulocal.wmur.com/mediadetail/33108126-Tornado?gid=91795&uid=&sort=upload DESC&offset=9

Apparently that happened in Salisbury on Friday. 

Another interesting video. If I saw this as a weather spotter I would have to think twice as to what I'm seeing. Some low flying scud with weak rotation or a funnel cloud or possibly an F0 tornado what do you guys think?

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Not BDL, but Ryan FTW!

http://ulocal.wmur.com/mediadetail/33108126-Tornado?gid=91795&uid=&sort=upload DESC&offset=9

Apparently that happened in Salisbury on Friday. 

That is like the weakest tornado I've ever seen! And that includes that momentary spin-up in the NH mountains a few weeks ago. Still, it's very cool, and pretty unexpected... Except of course by Ryan who predicted it. Nice.

5 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

That is like the weakest tornado I've ever seen! And that includes that momentary spin-up in the NH mountains a few weeks ago. Still, it's very cool, and pretty unexpected... Except of course by Ryan who predicted it. Nice.

Very weak. I mean based on the environment it was probably more of a landspout type tornado than mesocyclone tornado. 

13 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Very weak. I mean based on the environment it was probably more of a landspout type tornado than mesocyclone tornado. 

I'm actually surprised the earlier stuff didn't produce around midday in eastern Mass. The atmosphere was pretty primed along the warm front for something out east. 

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

These tiny spin-ups don't necessarily fall into any particular category. Many years ago near East Haven I watched a small finger of condensation on the front edge of an approaching storm that was all the way in contact with the ground, but wasn't moving and definitely wasn't rotating, not at first. But as I watched, it gradually started to spin, from the top down - slowly at first, but then faster and faster until it eventually looked like a genuine tornado, spinning away like crazy until I lost it in the rain... What would you call something like that? This thing could be similar, who knows.