Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
General Severe Weather Discussion 2018

weatherwiz

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

You’re absolutely right, with heights rising there is a window here. It’s really edge of the EML or bust. 

Certainly low 60s dewpoints won’t cut it today.

That's the best way to describe it, yeah. I guess a race of sorts.

Seems at least spatially as though the NAM and the like ...they must be hedging the EML outpaces the suppression before it really gets impossible to penetrate.  

What a f*n behemoth of a ridge though... that thing is a marvel to watch. We close off a 594 dm node nearby, then... it grows!  Expanding to envelop such a large area, while painfully slowly, it regrogrades... Not before the week is claimed in Hades.  

Whatever we get over the then 24 hours, it seems that might be it until this thing breaks down. 

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Convection starting to fire in extreme Upstate NY.  On its current heading it would be coming through the White Mtns.  Are the upper level winds such that as the complex moves east it tends to round the bend and move more south or would it stay on its due SE course?

Some CAMs have even shown a SW movement towards the highest CAPE.

With a lack of strong forcing it may end up being more of a CAPE eater.

Got a laugh out of BTVs updated 733pm AFD 

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/...
As of 733 PM EDT Saturday...Well, it`s been a facepalm kind of
evening in regards to the convective potential as we`ve been
waiting and waiting and waiting for something to fire, but alas,
nothing really did. After perusing all the available data, our
trusty SOO dug deep into the forecast soundings and found ONLY
the FV3 showed a slight break in the cap this afternoon which is
exactly when a few isolated storms developed. After that, the
cap just returned and we`ve been quiet ever since. So with that
in mind, I`ve backed way off on the t-storm potential overnight,
but did leave in very low chance PoPs along the Canadian border
as there are a few showers trying to get going, though they
probably just won`t. Rest of the forecast remains unchanged for
Sunday and Sunday night.

Mm.  Never liked the heights climbing the ladder in this.  We were intrinsically going the wrong way with major backdrop indices while relying on one or two to compensate - you get what you buy.

we'll see if any nocturnal radiative cloud top cooling can help punch any holes 

11 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Quite the light show on the cell by Berlin.  It's continuous.

9 hours ago, alex said:

Took a video of it. Incredible 

It was a nice show. I was shooting that cell in NH, then caught another nice one just north of Belgrade around 1:30 AM.

Screen grab from last night's backyard storm chase with a friend.  I shot this video from Starr Farm beach on Lake Champlain!  So magical with the bullfrogs croaking and the fireflies flashing, along with the beautiful sound of thunder rolling over the lake.

storm.thumb.jpg.aa75396e63782bb197d14fd8bae06760.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, OceanStWx said:

It was a nice show. I was shooting that cell in NH, then caught another nice one just north of Belgrade around 1:30 AM.

That one included a ground-shaking blast at our place that reduced our dog to a quivering ball of terror, but had little rain.  Then 75 minutes later came a quieter TS that brought most of the 0.48" I dumped out of the gauge at 7 AM.

Just now, tamarack said:

That one included a ground-shaking blast at our place that reduced our dog to a quivering ball of terror, but had little rain.  Then 75 minutes later came a quieter TS that brought most of the 0.48" I dumped out of the gauge at 7 AM.

Glad your getting some rain.  Every night its all to my north.  Friday fropa looks too early for any severe here in C NH but still 4 days away

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Glad your getting some rain.  Every night its all to my north.  Friday fropa looks too early for any severe here in C NH but still 4 days away

June ended with 90% of average, and since it's my 2nd rainiest month (5.30", 0.35" less than OCT), that meant significant rain.  Getting 2"+ from 6/28 to 7/1, immediately in front of very warm temps, puts the garden into high gear.

Look at this sounding across SE ND tomorrow evening lol. Going to be some vicious supercells tomorrow. Over/under the largest hail size either reported or able to be estimated via radar? I'll go with 4.50''

EDIT: Although the mid-level shear isn't particularly strong enough to support that

2018070212_NAM_036_44.78,-97.29_severe_s

7 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Look at this sounding across SE ND tomorrow evening lol. Going to be some vicious supercells tomorrow. Over/under the largest hail size either reported or able to be estimated via radar? I'll go with 4.50''

EDIT: Although the mid-level shear isn't particularly strong enough to support that

2018070212_NAM_036_44.78,-97.29_severe_s

You'll like this one from northeast Iowa a few days ago.  Not sure if it verified lol.  And the low-mid level flow isn't terrible for such an unstable forecast sounding

imageproxy.jpg.b344c9444a164f37adc13b17ef6f088c.jpg