Newest Member
    SnowHabit
General Severe Weather Discussion 2018

weatherwiz

KNYC AFD: BUFKIT profiles show some veering within first 10 kft above
surface, S-SW for Long Island, NYC and more SE-SW to the north
with stronger magnitude, more bulk shear. Total bulk shear 35-40
kt from 0-6km. MUCAPE of 500-1000 J/kg and during the day this
will become more surface based and increase to 1500-2000 J/kg.
Certainly some potential for a few thunderstorms to be strong
with a marginal risk for severe weather across much of the
region for local damaging winds and a brief tornado possible
where there is the most veering of low level winds and highest
helicity, particularly parts of the Lower Hudson Valley and
Southern CT.

I love mornings like this. It is one of life's simple pleasures to sit under the eaves with a cup of joe and look out over the slate-gray water, listening to the gradually rising grumble of approaching thunder and the occasional sibilant puffs of wind through the trees. Good stuff.

• Like 4

Well the NAM, ARW, and NMM all have a pretty nice bow developing in Canada and moving into parts of NNE Saturday night.

That EML plume does advect into the region, and both the NAM and GFS have at least a subtle shortwave (GFS more subtle) gliding down through ME. I'd be more inclined to lean towards the D word, except that relative inflow into the convection weakens as the ridge builds in and mid level flow becomes more northerly than westerly.

The other key difference, the NAM has dewpoints in VT of 77 Saturday, the GFS 67. So that makes a difference of 4500 J/kg or 1000 J/kg.

I would say a split of the difference, leaning towards low 70s dews is a fair forecast and more than enough to generate some strong convection Saturday night.

Fun to look at but may be a fantasy, the NAM has IZG at 79/72 with 3400 J/kg CAPE. At 03z Sunday!

But that is about the magic number T/Td to sustain a nasty bow overnight in these parts. 

The July 1995 derecho, SYR was 82/76 just ahead of it. July 4/5 1999 saw a lot of near 80/near 70 readings (IZG 80/68, LCI 79/70, etc). 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

The other key difference, the NAM has dewpoints in VT of 77 Saturday, the GFS 67. So that makes a difference of 4500 J/kg or 1000 J/kg.

I would say a split of the difference, leaning towards low 70s dews is a fair forecast and more than enough to generate some strong convection Saturday night.

I see chance probs in the grids for staurday night, Be interesting to see if something gets going if it can stay together to the coast coming out of the NW or we get 7-10'd.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Might even have a little hail in it.

Freezing levels are a little high (13.8 kft on the 18z special RAOB), but I would say some dimes possible in that.

It did. Fairly large chunks but not a lot of them. Pretty wild wind and thunder though. And now we have no power. Grrrrr.... 

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I just saw that.  Wonder if we can get an MCS to dive more southward than southeastward and get us in the Lakes Region?   I doubt it but will have to watch upstream this PM

New cell growth should tend to grow towards the CAPE axis, which will be in your direction.

On 6/29/2018 at 11:05 AM, OceanStWx said:

If it's any help... here we are 24-hours later and the GFS verified somewhat too wet at KMPV, KRUT ... KVSF...  Those NWS are putting up upper 50s to 64-ish type numbers... So far, we'll see if it surges toward dark.

One thing I've been toying with in my mind re the heat potential down our way has been... "If" the NAM proves too robust with those sequential MCS' serving to pool/processed air mass helping to goose the GOM PP and thus, sending a pseudo BD down our way might be in trouble ;) 

I mean you know this crap ...just sayn'   I'll tell ya, it's a fascinating albeit tedious course work, but these hot air masses come with all kinds of angles for exploratory cause/effect relationships, huh -

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If it's any help... here we are 24-hours later and the GFS verified somewhat too wet at KMPV, KRUT ... KVSF...  Those NWS are putting up upper 50s to 64-ish type numbers...

One thing I've been toying with in my mind re the heat potential down our way has been... "If" the NAM proves too robust with those sequential MCS' than the pooling/processed air mass helping to goose the GOM PP and send a pseudo BD down our way might be in trouble ;) 

I mean you know this crap ...just sayn'   I'll tell ya, it's a fascinating albeit tedious but these hot air mass come with all kinds of angles for exploratory cause/effect relationships, huh -

Yeah, the moisture is definitely pooling along the warm front vs south. 70 dews up at SLK, but upper 50s at ALB.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, the moisture is definitely pooling along the warm front vs south. 70 dews up at SLK, but upper 50s at ALB.

I have to be honest... one thing that's a head scratcher for me is the fact that the heights are ballooning like the cap cloud over an h-bomb detonation.

We learned in 102 (ish) met that when heights rise ...that tends to limit convection...  Then later of course, we learn about DVM and NVA and all the fun stuff thats come with ridges... But, the impetus being, this is a rising/growing/burgeoning ridge scenario... This is not a static one that features geostrophic W/NW flow aloft under a torrid DP jet below... So, what am I missing...

I guess to be fair, we are not really transporting much strobe lightning, rain/hail this far S... But, that axis that runs from eastern Ontario/lower Quebec to off shore Maine might be "too lit up" ...and that's creating an unlikely lvl cold pulse into coastal lower New England...?  

Maybe the GFS' coarser resolution and different overall convective sequencing is dumb luck in this case ? 

Oh boy ...  we'd love to see that though..down our way.  A couple Met friends and I were discussing that in a separate circuit, just how long it has been since we've seen one of those NW-SE moving MCS over NH at night...where it's insane lightning and 'vil crawlers that terminate into wild positive multi-pulsers. In the 1990s there were a few of those.. It's like it's been once in 20 years now..

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I have to be honest... one thing that's a head scratcher for me is the fact that the heights are ballooning like the cap cloud over an h-bomb detonation.

We learned in 102 (ish) met that when heights rise ...that tends to limit convection...  Then later of course, we learn about DVM and NVA and all the fun stuff thats come with ridges... But, the impetus being, this is a rising/growing/burgeoning ridge scenario... This is not a static one that features geostrophic W/NW flow aloft under a torrid DP jet below... So, what am I missing...

I guess to be fair, we are not really transporting much strobe lightning, rain/hail this far S... But, that axis that runs from eastern Ontario/lower Quebec to off shore Maine might be "too lit up" ...and that's creating an unlikely lvl cold pulse into coastal lower New England...?  

Maybe the GFS' coarser resolution and different overall convective sequencing is dumb luck in this case ? 

Oh boy ...  we'd love to see that though..down our way.  A couple Met friends and I were discussing that in a separate circuit, just how long it has been since we've seen one of the NW-SE moving MCS over NH at night...where it's insane lightning and 'vil crawlers that terminate into wild positive multi-pulsers. In the 1990s there were a few of those.. It's like it's been once in 20 years now..

You’re absolutely right, with heights rising there is a window here. It’s really edge of the EML or bust. 

Certainly low 60s dewpoints won’t cut it today.