• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
General Severe Weather Discussion 2018

weatherwiz

Showers and thunderstorms likely before 2am, then a slight chance of showers. Some storms could be severe, with damaging winds and gusty winds. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 31. Very windy, with a west wind 70 to 80 mph increasing to 100 to 110 mph. Winds could gust as high as 140 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Sad we don't live there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Wow.   Extreme rain and wind.  House shaking.  Lights flickering.  Davis just gusted to 54mph and that always is low. 

Edit.  Rain let up, winds died down.  Very intense 5 minutes.  One of the most intense winds I have ever seen.

Sounds intense, congrats.  Looks like things weren't able to hold together on the southern end of that line that's about to come through for me.

6 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

??? are you implying i drive slow. I'm the total opposite :lmao::lmao: 

You once talked about (fairly recent maybe early winter) how you cruise the speed limit in the left lane and never move over to the right while cars piled up behind flashing their high beems. A bunch of us berated your poor driving skills....did you learn something new in drivers ed last semester ?

Hopefully you saw a few dark clouds earlier, what a rush. 

Wow,  what a great squall line this evening.  I wasn't expecting too much as it looked on radar as though it was weakening.  Not one flash of lightning.  Then around 10pm we heard a roar in the woods.  Heavy rain came in like a wall and then about 3 or 4 minutes of huge wind.  I have never felt the house literally shake.  The cats were going nuts.  I was running around and trying to watch my old Davis station and running from window to window.  True weenie behavior!  Winds were sustained in the 30's and 40's for that time period.  As attached the peak gust was 54mph. Rainfall during that 5 minutes about .25".

Power flickered but stayed on.  Lots of branches down around the house.

Just took a look at our power company (NH Electric Coop) outage map.  Of 80,000 customers about 11% do not have power.

Storm grade  B +

wind.jpg

Still no power, 3 hours later.  All hotels and restaurants up and down Mountain Road are out as well.  The lightning was constant for about a half hour.  August style cracks of thunder.

1.5" of rain and the river out back is up to the grass on the edge of the lawn...just raging through the brush and trees on the banks.  Snowmelt coupled with this quick rain, it's about as high as it gets right now and the roar is insane.

9 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I don't think the MDT will verify but we are getting some high gusts in the wake of the front. A couple at 50 at least I think.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Based on the density of reports, MDT will likely verify in the Utica-Albany corridor (I realize ALB wasn't in the MDT risk, but the verification will show that the would have, partly due to population density and number of reports), but there are some gaps in reports farther north. Some of that was due to more cellular activity, but even up near the NY/VT border, storms had converged into a line, before passing into VT.

40 minutes ago, Quincy said:

Based on the density of reports, MDT will likely verify in the Utica-Albany corridor (I realize ALB wasn't in the MDT risk, but the verification will show that the would have, partly due to population density and number of reports), but there are some gaps in reports farther north. Some of that was due to more cellular activity, but even up near the NY/VT border, storms had converged into a line, before passing into VT.

There's also virtually no people in a huge chunk of the Adirondacks so it's pretty hard to get reports in that area. 

Season's first TS last evening, no close hits (9 seconds was the closest) and very little wind, but 5-10 minute downpour about 10:40 that produces most of yesterday's 0.49".  Winds gusting well into the 30s this morning, heard something break and fall in our woodlot while out with the pup about 7:30.  Hope it was a snag rather than another of the tall firs.

Update on the fropa squall line that moved through last night at 10pm.   Lost 4 trees within 1000 feet of the house.  One apple tree and 3 white pines in the woods.  2 got snapped half way up and 2 uprooted.  Most of the damage seems to be right within half mile of my house.  So maybe some freak microburst,  I have no idea.  I just know my Davis always seems low during wind events so my 54mph may have been over 60mph.  In any event a great 5 minutes.  Very lucky the trees are still bare up here on would have been more tree damage for sure.  Wish it had been light outside..

Another comment.  After the fropa with the 54mph gust we had a 90 minute period of very high winds.  Many gusts in the 40-45mph range.  Here is Davis from last night.  Impressive.

wind.jpg

On 5/4/2018 at 10:18 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You once talked about (fairly recent maybe early winter) how you cruise the speed limit in the left lane and never move over to the right while cars piled up behind flashing their high beems. A bunch of us berated your poor driving skills....did you learn something new in drivers ed last semester ?

Hopefully you saw a few dark clouds earlier, what a rush. 

That post was totally misread by everyone then :lol: 

I said I always get into the left land and will usually do between 70-80 mph (sometimes I'll get to 82 depending on if there is nobody else really ahead of me and if its a straight away). I said I prefer the left land b/c I don't have to worry about cars that merge onto the highway (unless there is a left on ramp) and for the most part there isn't a whole ton of wavering in and out of lands between left and center. 

What I said was I will not just pull over if I'm doing 70-75+ (especially when speed limit is only 55) b/c the person behind me wants to do 80...90 mph. changing lanes and crap when there is lots of density is what leads to accidents.