• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017/2018 Wrap-Up Thread

Cold Miser

As Wiz prepares himself for the ever-so-angry servere season here in Connecticut it is time to reflect on the winter that was. ...A winter that ended up giving much more bang for the buck than expected, and even though just about all of February was nonexistent for many with regard to decent snow.

Remarkable is a pretty good way to describe how March and April played out for many.  Some of us had more snow fall in April than February.  I think my mid-winter grade was D/C as I prepared to chain the snow blower to my leg and drop myself into the ice jammed river. 

The grades (all items are equally weighted)

Overall Seasonal Snowfall: A+
Well above average snow fell.

Snow vs. Rain: B
As soon as March and April rolled around it was easy to forget how ****ty February was, including the rain…But it was there and it can’t be discounted. I expect rain in April and March but not so much in January/ February. 

Staying power of the pack: C
This was just not a long term pack kind of winter at least in my neck of the woods.

Local winter enjoyment: B
Many times this would go hand in hand with the snow pack, but due to the big freeze up in December/ January, there were some good days for ice walks as well as a few snow shoe days.

Temperature: B+
Even though it seemed like the rain would never end at times, there were plenty of cold days on hand to make it feel like winter, especially the first and last 3rd of the season.

Snow Storm Quality: A-
There was some pretty good storms this year, including 2 double digit beauties. There were many storms timed just right for morning or evening rush hour as well, and overnight storms which I like to see.  Plus a Christmas morning snow.

Overall Grade: B+
A better February would have made this a champion winter.

I know that people like to use either meteorological winter or calendar winter as their guide to the beginning and end of the season, but I let the season be more fluent than that. About 20” of my snow (yes, it was MY snow) fell before the calendar said it was winter and after spring began.

The real question is...Is it over?  Will some see a late...LATE season paste bomb over the coming weeks?

nsm_depth_2018050105_Northeast.jpg

Great writeup Garth, impressive.

I give "Winter" a B- overall. Dec  B+ Jan C+  Feb F  March A+  April  B+ , Snowfall A, Cold C, overall retention D. damage Impact 8/10

Excellent holiday snow in Dec with that epic frontal passage with zero visibility, totally historical cold into Jan ending with one helluva impressive Blizzard. Benign after with snow melting warm temps then a surprise mid level magic storm to end the month. Feb was an absolute torch but we managed a cement storm  at least  and the 65 degrees to snow day was insane. A March I will never forget, with a tropical storm with perhaps the strongest winds I have ever felt in my life just destroying my neighborhood, then the 2 epic snowstorms at mid month one being a total cement bomb, that again raked destruction in my hood. April was just damn cold with 9 inches of snow.

Ski Season to me was epic as I started on Feb 9th at the Beast with a GTG of a lot of great peeps from here with perfect conditions, a trip to Okemo on a super powder bliss day, and then a Wildcat bluebird perfectly calm day. Then perhaps the best skiing week ever at Sunday River with chalky conditions, bluebird sky and very comfortable weather practically the entire week

Totally memorable.

Monthlies break down as follows

Dec -3  12.6 snow (average)

Jan 0   23.25 snow ( +8)

Feb  +7.5  8.25  (-8)

March -1  30.5 ( +14)

April (-5.5)  9 (+8)

Good season....I'd give it a solid B. Hard to give it worse when getting so far over climo for snowfall and my own subjective grading weights snowfall the highest.

But late January and February was a real stain on winter. So it won't get higher. Finally got the great holiday period though we had been lacking for years.

Going strictly on empirical info and not subjective....see below:

Objectively by the numbers at ORH:

DJFM temperature departure: +0.2F

Total snowfall: 96.1" (27" above normal)

Days with >=1" snow cover: 73 (about average)

3 storms over 15 inches. 1 storm over 20 inches.

Max snow depth: 28 inches on 3/13

Low max temperatures set: 5

High min temperatures set: 2

Low min temperatures set: 2

High max temperatures set: 3 (all time record max temp set for month of February)

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Good season....I'd give it a solid B. Hard to give it worse when getting so far over climo for snowfall and my own subjective grading weights snowfall the highest.

But late January and February was a real stain on winter. So it won't get higher. Finally got the great holiday period though we had been lacking for years.

Going strictly on empirical info and not subjective....see below:

Objectively by the numbers at ORH:

DJFM temperature departure: +0.2F

Total snowfall: 96.1" (27" above normal)

Days with >=1" snow cover: 73 (about average)

3 storms over 15 inches. 1 storm over 20 inches.

Max snow depth: 28 inches on 3/13

Low max temperatures set: 5

High min temperatures set: 2

Low min temperatures set: 2

High max temperatures set: 3 (all time record max temp set for month of February)

Yea most spots were 125-200% AN snow that is amazing with how Feb stunk up the joint. I don't know if you saw my post but, for the 90s missing data at ORH what were there Met springs totals. I see ORH as the most snow for Met spring ever but that does not include that missing data you have.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea most spots were 125-200% AN snow that is amazing with how Feb stunk up the joint. I don't know if you saw my post but, for the 90s missing data at ORH what were there Met springs totals. I see ORH as the most snow for Met spring ever but that does not include that missing data you have.

Nothing from the late 90s/early 2000s can beat this year's 49.5"...though there were some huge springs back then. But they still fall short.

The biggest were:

Mar/Apr 1997: 44.3"

Mar/Apr 1996: 43.8"

Mar/Apr 2001: 36.4" (all in March)

I'm going B- given the 5-6 week winter hiatus. This is strictly a metrowest boston recreational grade. Was able to to pond skate in mid-December, got in lots of days at the local nordic ski center, able to ski the local river early in the season when it was frozen and March for local XC was great too. The lack of snow in middle was horrible. What's funny is my downhill skiing was very limited this season - 8 day trips - relative to average. But 8 above average days. Just can't have no winter in the heart of winter. I may be being charitable because it has been great to listen to my co-workers b**ch/moan about never-ending winter last month.

Personally? This was an A+ winter for the novelty. Hands down the most fun winter I ever had weather-wise and it's not even close.

This winter gave me:

The snowiest winter ever at 106.4". This absolutely crushes my previous all-time high of about 28" from 2007-08 while living in Missouri. I never thought I'd see over 100" of snow in my life, but that's exactly what happened.

Three all-time snowiest storms at 24", 19", and 14". Previous snowfall record was 14" from January 2016 storm in Asheville, NC.

Snowiest week ever at 43" in March of 2018. Did I already mentioned that my previous *ANNUAL* high was 28"? This was insane to witness.

First time experiencing snow depth of a foot (Christmas storm 2017). Also first time experiencing two feet snow depth (March 2018).

First time experiencing sub-zero cold (old record was 0 F back in Missouri years ago). I'm pretty sure we bottomed out at -12 F, which is now my new low mark. Few observations of wind chill at -25, which also would be my coldest wind chill. Also, new coldest high temperature of 5 F (previous was 11 F in Asheville).

First White Christmas. Also first time I saw heavy snow falling on Christmas morning. That was a magical day.

First time in Blizzard Warning, although conditions didn't meet criteria. I'd love to meet criteria one day.

Seven storms over 7" of snow. A single 7" storm used to be once every few years for me.

Sixteen days in row fully below freezing. 11 nights below zero during that streak. Cocheco River in Dover managed to ice over fully.

My biased grading aside, I'd guess most would give this winter a B+ in southeastern NH. Maybe even stretch it to an A-? A normal February, as others pointed out, would've crowned this winter as the best ever for snow loving folks around here. My reasoning is this: most people saw between 30-40" more snow above climatology average for the region. We also had a two-footer storm and couple more over a foot. The cold snap we had back in late December and early January was also impressive because we stayed below freezing for over two weeks. The cold had a staying power especially during the daylight when multiple days had maximum temperature in single digits. Oh yeah... we also had heavy snow falling throughout Christmas morning. That alone should give this grade a boost for everyone.

Writing all of above up, I also realized that 2017-18 winter will be a tough benchmark for other winters to follow for as long as I stay here. Maybe ever? Thanks to that, my standards are sky-high for future years to even match everything I saw last several months.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nothing from the late 90s/early 2000s can beat this year's 49.5"...though there were some huge springs back then. But they still fall short.

The biggest were:

Mar/Apr 1997: 44.3"

Mar/Apr 1996: 43.8"

Mar/Apr 2001: 36.4" (all in March)

Thanks man

1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

Personally? This was an A+ winter for the novelty. Hands down the most fun winter I ever had weather-wise and it's not even close.

This winter gave me:

The snowiest winter ever at 106.4". This absolutely crushes my previous all-time high of about 28" from 2007-08 while living in Missouri. I never thought I'd see over 100" of snow in my life, but that's exactly what happened.

Three all-time snowiest storms at 24", 19", and 14". Previous snowfall record was 14" from January 2016 storm in Asheville, NC.

Snowiest week ever at 43" in March of 2018. Did I already mentioned that my previous *ANNUAL* high was 28"? This was insane to witness.

First time experiencing snow depth of a foot (Christmas storm 2017). Also first time experiencing two feet snow depth (March 2018).

First time experiencing sub-zero cold (old record was 0 F back in Missouri years ago). I'm pretty sure we bottomed out at -12 F, which is now my new low mark. Few observations of wind chill at -25, which also would be my coldest wind chill. Also, new coldest high temperature of 5 F (previous was 11 F in Asheville).

First White Christmas. Also first time I saw heavy snow falling on Christmas morning. That was a magical day.

First time in Blizzard Warning, although conditions didn't meet criteria. I'd love to meet criteria one day.

Seven storms over 7" of snow. A single 7" storm used to be once every few years for me.

Sixteen days in row fully below freezing. 11 nights below zero during that streak. Cocheco River in Dover managed to ice over fully.

My biased grading aside, I'd guess most would give this winter a B+ in southeastern NH. Maybe even stretch it to an A-? A normal February, as others pointed out, would've crowned this winter as the best ever for snow loving folks around here. My reasoning is this: most people saw between 30-40" more snow above climatology average for the region. We also had a two-footer storm and couple more over a foot. The cold snap we had back in late December and early January was also impressive because we stayed below freezing for over two weeks. The cold had a staying power especially during the daylight when multiple days had maximum temperature in single digits. Oh yeah... we also had heavy snow falling throughout Christmas morning. That alone should give this grade a boost for everyone.

Writing all of above up, I also realized that 2017-18 winter will be a tough benchmark for other winters to follow for as long as I stay here. Maybe ever? Thanks to that, my standards are sky-high for future years to even match everything I saw last several months.

This is awesome to read, its always great when a snow deprived weenie reaches climax :lol:

Snowfall: 91

top tier snow but not upper echelon, just missed out.

snow vs rain: 74

many many rainers, pattern was active.

pack power: 71

Dec stuck around but thats about it. Tick below avg.

enjoyment: 80

Good times in my new spot esp with the kid, he sled down the front yard several times.

temps: 70

Ice cold in Dec does nothing for me then late Jan into Feb was trash. March was close to epic but missed the first coastal by a few C. 

snowstorm quality: 79

Lots and lots of pennies and nickels, meh. March had the paster which was cool. Could have been much better, still above avg though.

overall: 87

It’s all about snowfall, weighed heavily. Other factors bring the grade down though. Still a great season.

13 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Great writeup Garth, impressive.

I give "Winter" a B- overall. Dec  B+ Jan C+  Feb F  March A+  April  B+ , Snowfall A, Cold C, overall retention D. damage Impact 8/10

Excellent holiday snow in Dec with that epic frontal passage with zero visibility, totally historical cold into Jan ending with one helluva impressive Blizzard. Benign after with snow melting warm temps then a surprise mid level magic storm to end the month. Feb was an absolute torch but we managed a cement storm  at least  and the 65 degrees to snow day was insane. A March I will never forget, with a tropical storm with perhaps the strongest winds I have ever felt in my life just destroying my neighborhood, then the 2 epic snowstorms at mid month one being a total cement bomb, that again raked destruction in my hood. April was just damn cold with 9 inches of snow.

Ski Season to me was epic as I started on Feb 9th at the Beast with a GTG of a lot of great peeps from here with perfect conditions, a trip to Okemo on a super powder bliss day, and then a Wildcat bluebird perfectly calm day. Then perhaps the best skiing week ever at Sunday River with chalky conditions, bluebird sky and very comfortable weather practically the entire week

Totally memorable.

Dec -3  12.6 snow (average)

Jan 0   23.25 snow ( +8)

Feb  +7.5  8.25  (-8)

March -1  30.5 ( +14)

April (-5.5)  9 (+8)

I like that you graded the individual months.  If we had a snowy November would you have included that in there?

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

I like that you graded the individual months.  If we had a snowy November would you have included that in there?

What is cool is my first trace was in Nov and my last trace was in April 6 months out of year to see snow, now that deserves an A

Stealing Ginxy's format (and thanks)
I weight snow twice that of temp, and put 90% of season weight in DJFM (M slightly less than the others), the rest split Nov/Apr.

Nov:  -3F (B)  0.1"/-4"  (F)

Dec:   -7F (A)  23.4"/+3" (B-)  Coldest of 20 Decembers

Jan:   -0.5F (C+)  21.4"/+2"  C+

Feb:  +5F (D-)   19.1"/-4"  (C-)  Maybe a bit generous snow grade.  Feb should have more than one storm greater than 3".

March: +1F (C-)  37.1"/+19" (A)

April: -4F (A)  4.5"/-0.5" (C-)  Missed 3 snows because we were too far north, then too far east, then too far south.

The numbers add up to C+ for both temp and snow, but my purely subjective viewpoint bumps this to B-.
--Pluses (chronologically):  Snow on Christmas/least Grinch-ey of 20 here; 10-day run of Aroostook cold/3 subzero maxes; near blizz on Jan 4; 2 storms=36" in March; latest in season sub-32 maxes.
--Minuses (chronologically):  Meh/bad until 12/25; pack-smashing Jan RA; late Feb thaw; snowless 2nd half March (with near misses); April snowstorm dodging.

Total snowfall: 105.5", 15.5" AN and 6th of 20
Snowpack:  SDDs 15% AN and 7th highest.  Retention factor (SDDs divided by total snowfall) was slightly AN, but well BN for winters cracking 100".  Depth reached 24" on 1/4 then dropped to 10" by late month - not at 1996 level for loss of snow in January, but next worst.  Peak depth was 34" on 3/14 (at my 9 PM obs time - was 37" at 7 AM.)

Met spring snowfall:  2018 was 3rd of 20.  Top 5:

2007:  56.5"  M 19.3", A 37.2"  (Farmington sets their April record, by 12")

2001:  56.1"  M 55.5", A 0.6"  (Farmington sets their March record, by 12")

2018:  41.6"  M 37.1", A 4.5"

2014:  32.8"  M 30.8", A 2.0"

1999:  32.2"  All M

Snow was 69.1 I actually was in a relative min and areas south had more due to the near Christmas event and then in late Jan and April of all times. But plus was Christmas morning blitz. Jan 4 produced near 20” and March 13 16.5” of man snow. Feb sucked and knocks it down. The cold sucked. Days in the single digits are dumb. Give me 20s consistently. 

C.  54 inches on the season which in itself is 8 above normal and isn't bad but there was a couple of nasty valley screw jobs.  Kevin being 30 inches ahead of me and only 2 towns SE tells you we got porked .  His elevation should grab him an extra 12-15 more on a season vs here but not 30. Very solid start and finish to the season although I would have preferred the April pattern in February when retention was so poor.  

Archived