Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2018 General Discussion

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MSN reached 92 today tying the record from 1991. This month has been so similar to May 2012. 2012 also had a very wet first two weeks of the month before the faucet shut off and never turned on again mid-month. It obviously also had a similar heatwave in this time frame. Looking ahead it looks like I might get about a .5" or so form Alberto's remnants but after that it looks like it could be a while before we get anymore rain.

It's sweltering 94゚ at DTW yesterday miss the record by 1゚. By no means do I think hot temps in late may mean a hot summer. Seems like this summer's really gonna be a crapshoot whether its hot or cool. I think the most impressive yesterday was the fact that Minneapolis officially hit 100゚. That is insane.

We can estimate what the final monthly temperatures will be but might as well just wait a few days once the official figures are in. The April to may comparisons are going to be nothing short of astounding and probably unprecedented. From one of the coldest aprils on record to 1 of the warmest mays.

48 minutes ago, hlcater said:

All the convection the past several days has been to our west, north, south and east. Oh well. 

CAMs had been looking pretty nice for today, with scattered storms popping up all over the place.  Unfortunately they underplayed the amount of cloud debris from Alberto.  Temps have also underachieved for the same reason.  

MLI managed to squeak out another 90 today despite the thick cirrus canopy.  That makes 4 90+ days in a row, and 5 out of the last 6 days AOA 90.  Impressive end to May.  

Hit 91 here today.  Hoping the HRRR and 3km NAM are correct in developing some nice rains into western/northwest IL later tonight.  Sitting at 3.70" for the month, but most of that fell early in the month.

0.33" last night and today.  Enough to get us over 4" for May.  Heavy rains set up a little east of here.  

Had a torrential downpour at work around 4pm.  Didn't last long but it was pretty impressive.  Lots of runoff after that passed through.  

MLI up to 86.  Really trying to make it a 5th 90+ day in a row but will fall just short.

RECORD EVENT REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
134 AM EDT THU MAY 31 2018

...RECORD MAXIMUM LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT FORT WAYNE ON MAY 30...

A RECORD MAXIMUM LOW TEMPERATURES OF 74 DEGREES WAS SET AT FORT 
WAYNE YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 70 DEGREES IN 1942.

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

RECORD EVENT REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
134 AM EDT THU MAY 31 2018

...RECORD MAXIMUM LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT FORT WAYNE ON MAY 30...

A RECORD MAXIMUM LOW TEMPERATURES OF 74 DEGREES WAS SET AT FORT 
WAYNE YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 70 DEGREES IN 1942.

Fort Wayne didn't have a low as warm as 74 all of last year.

7 minutes ago, Chambana said:

I also believe the CONUS is on pace to beat 1934 for the warmest May on record. Really remarkable stuff. Thorough 5/28 2018 the average temp was 64.6, with 1934 at 64.7. 

Here are 1934 and 2018.  The warmth this year was centered more south/east.  

MonthTDeptUS.png.d2fa9b7cfa1a911ceb4142a78f8cea2c.png

cd2607-fb90-a3c9-5559-0-9-9aac-6501_150_11_53.9_prcp.png.5531a364e34753175a7b8fad9d6c368d.png

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Here are 1934 and 2018.  The warmth this year was centered more south/east.  

MonthTDeptUS.png.d2fa9b7cfa1a911ceb4142a78f8cea2c.png

cd2607-fb90-a3c9-5559-0-9-9aac-6501_150_11_53.9_prcp.png.5531a364e34753175a7b8fad9d6c368d.png

Thanks Hoosier. I really wonder if there has ever been spring like this? Going from record cold in March&April to a record setting warm  may. Referring back to one of your old posts, I wish we had data available for 1863, as it had the only tropical storm remnants to effect the region in the month of May. 

59 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Thanks Hoosier. I really wonder if there has ever been spring like this? Going from record cold in March&April to a record setting warm  may. Referring back to one of your old posts, I wish we had data available for 1863, as it had the only tropical storm remnants to effect the region in the month of May. 

Kinda doubt there's been a flip as dramatic as this.

Regarding May 1863, there's this.  I guess it's better than nothing.

2d9HE_Cjsb.png.40ea975ff83c2c614c0e325d212e3108.png

3rd warmest and the wettest May on record for Chicago.

Fwiw, out of the prior top 10 warmest Mays, 9 out of 10 went on to be warmer than average for JJA in Chicago.  Some were just barely warmer than average and some were well above average.  The one cooler exception was 1896.

Archived