• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2018 General Discussion

Sup fellas?  I'm back.  Had a blast out in Hawaii.  Looks like we got about a half inch of rain while away.  Enough to kick the lawn into high gear.  Hopefully some meaningful severe is in the near future, as I'm ready to get out and do some chasing.

A few pics from the vaca.

First pic is looking down at Pearl Harbor.  Took all these pics with my phone, as I didn't want to lug around a big camera all vacation lol.

16ll09c.jpg

qrf05z.jpg

This is at Pearl Harbor, looking out at the USS Arizona memorial, and the USS Missouri destroyer.

oqhis8.jpg

2j4c8y0.jpg

5cfwc8.jpg

71u4q8.jpg

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We finally experienced a small, but pretty good thunderstorm cell very early this morning.  I picked up a bit of pea-size hail and 0.44" of rain.  I put grub control granules on the lawn yesterday, so the rain will save me the trouble of watering the lawn.  I'm hoping for a bit more rain tonight.

I'm definitely over rain this month. Some training storms dropped another 0.96" of rain, while DTW 7 miles to the west only got 0.19". Monthly total now in my backyard is up to 6.82", one of the wettest mays on record appears likely. DTW was lagging quite far behind but still way above normal at 5.60".  We started May with almost winter dormancy outside of the grass just starting to grow and trees budding (not leafing). Now everything is lush and green and the damn grass won't stop!

Up to 6.16" on the month at DTW, just 2.31" away from the monthly record for any May and 2.61" away from all time record for any month. With the many chances of rain starting this weekend through the end of the month we have a shot at breaking the record.

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

Up to 6.16" on the month at DTW, just 2.31" away from the monthly record for any May and 2.61" away from all time record for any month. With the many chances of rain starting this weekend through the end of the month we have a shot at breaking the record.

Mean while in Indianapolis, the opposite. At least it feels that way. 

13 hours ago, Stebo said:

Crazy!  I've had .33" for the entire month.  Leaves are still only 30% even with the warmth up here... need rain

11 hours ago, Stebo said:

GFS has mid 90s for Chicago area on Sunday. The jump from winter to summer has been dramatic...

12z run even has upper 90s here lol

Clouds/convection could become a factor at times, but if not, then it's possible there's a streak of 90+

Both the 12z NAM and GFS have temps well into the 90s around here on Sunday, with the GFS being the warmer model. 90 happening in May is not that rare... if we're talking mid 90s, that is a lot more unusual but that kind of warmth did occur in May 2012.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Both the 12z NAM and GFS have temps well into the 90s around here on Sunday, with the GFS being the warmer model. 90 happening in May is not that rare... if we're talking mid 90s, that is a lot more unusual but that kind of warmth did occur in May 2012.

IND hit 80° for the 18th time in May. The record for May is 21 (1977-1965-1944). That record is going obliterated this year with predicted highs well above 80° right on through the end of the month. IND began the month with the 14th coolest Spring on record. It's amazing to think that they will most likely end up with the warmest May on record and it will be interesting to see how the Spring season ends up as a whole.

With these temps and really dry ground conditions in many areas of Indiana, Hoosier may have to issue a Drought Watch.

35 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

IND hit 80° for the 18th time in May. The record for May is 21 (1977-1965-1944). That record is going obliterated this year with predicted highs well above 80° right on through the end of the month. IND began the month with the 14th coolest Spring on record. It's amazing to think that they will most likely end up with the warmest May on record and it will be interesting to see how the Spring season ends up as a whole.

With these temps and really dry ground conditions in many areas of Indiana, Hoosier may have to issue a Drought Watch.

Maybe... I might consult with Chicagowx first.  :P

19 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

GFS likely overdoing temps where it's showing 95+ but expect temps near 90 for much of this area starting Friday. Other than the warmth and elevated humidity, zzzzz.

MLI got the party started early, tagging 90 today. 

Archived