Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2018 General Discussion

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow on the thunder in MI, did those in SE MI get storms in the early morning hours 18 years ago today? Maybe it was in "remembrance" of that historic day because I had storms around 6:30 am on May 12, 2000.

I'm glad I missed all the rain far to the south because it was decent out there! Not cold at all, sun warmed up things enough and the breeze was minimal. Got to 16ºC so felt 4ºC warmer. Not a cold weekend as advertised.

The LLJ finally getting some more organized thunderstorm development in Southern Wisconsin.  Yesterday there was plenty of stratiform rain, but little in the way of convection.  Probably picked up nearly an inch and a half of rain since yesterday, things are green and should be staying that way for a bit.

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

Up to 4.29" as of 4pm for the month. Well ahead of the pace of 2004 for the wettest May in record. More storms coming this evening as well.

A lot of May 2004 parallels with this, Madison and Milwaukee's May rainfall records were from that month as well, and Madison is definitely on a pace to meet or surpass that month.  Would be interesting if the rest of that summer parallels this one at all.  Was mostly cool and wet, and then downright chilly and drier that August.

1 hour ago, wisconsinwx said:

A lot of May 2004 parallels with this, Madison and Milwaukee's May rainfall records were from that month as well, and Madison is definitely on a pace to meet or surpass that month.  Would be interesting if the rest of that summer parallels this one at all.  Was mostly cool and wet, and then downright chilly and drier that August.

Other than the near-total lack of organized severe weather in the central CONUS. Of course, that didn't really get started until the 12th and then pick up from the 21st on, but after some teasing the models no longer show much promise for that happening.

10 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Other than the near-total lack of organized severe weather in the central CONUS. Of course, that didn't really get started until the 12th and then pick up from the 21st on, but after some teasing the models no longer show much promise for that happening.

May not have been organized severe weather yet this month, but both Dane and Milwaukee counties have had two severe warned cells so far (back to back Wednesday evenings as well).  That's not bad not even halfway through May, a month that begins our severe weather season in my book.

Had a round of scattered showers/storms last night and this morning, then another round this afternoon.

Tonight’s round is now getting going, and is starting to move in now.

Looks like there will be another round tomorrow night, in the form of an MCS. And then yet another round on Monday afternoon/evening/night.

Dry here and no rain really expected for the next 5 days or so, as a result fire danger will remain high until the forest starts to green up .  Even tho the ground is wet, last years vegetation is crisp. Warm and breezy today with very low rh again... should top out around 70. Certainly does feel nice.

Yesterday while I was out riding an old logging road, I came across this giant 15' pile of ice just off the road.  After hearing water running, I decided to check it out and discovered it was a spring. I guess water bubbling up all winter formed the ice.  I have never seen anything like it before, especially that big and in mid-May.  So now that I know where it is, I'm going to keep an eye on it.  I wonder if anyone else knows it's there?  There were no tracks on the road at all.  I'm probably the first person to pass through since the melt.  It was so blue inside it.

IMG_5907.thumb.JPG.86d131afd28ee9edf76f7fcc151944c7.JPG

On 5/12/2018 at 11:09 PM, Chicago Storm said:

Had a round of scattered showers/storms last night and this morning, then another round this afternoon.

Tonight’s round is now getting going, and is starting to move in now.

Looks like there will be another round tomorrow night, in the form of an MCS. And then yet another round on Monday afternoon/evening/night.

Indeed ended up with another round Saturday night, followed by an MCS last night/this morning.

Had a round of scattered strong to severe storms this afternoon in the area, with a final round incoming tonight with the frontal passage...before this period of action comes to an end.

It has pretty much been a May version of a ROF pattern, and the first I can remember in years.

RECORD EVENT REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
133 AM EDT MON MAY 14 2018

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE TIED AT INDIANAPOLIS...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 88 DEGREES WAS TIED AT INDIANAPOLIS 
YESTERDAY. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 88 SET IN 1956. TEMPERATURE 
RECORDS BEGAN AT INDIANAPOLIS IN 1871.

RECORD EVENT REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
735 PM EDT MON MAY 14 2018

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 89 DEGREES WAS SET AT INDIANAPOLIS 
INDIANA LATE THIS AFTERNOON. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 88 SET IN 

2 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Not a drop, nada, nothing, zilch.

Wow, you really have been capped off. I've at least had 0.38" over the past couple of days. This good stuff has been missing us just to north in this ROF setup. The dry spell came at exactly the wrong time for the morels around here.

NWS originally had 50% POPS for today up here, then took it out of the forecast and guess what? lol

rain.png

Archived