• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2018 General Discussion

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Been an up and down day with temps. Around 70 in the morning before the lake boundary moved through and dropped temps into the 50s.  Now it has warmed back up to around 70.

Nice depiction of the boundary on my GR.

Lake effect.png

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

RECORD EVENT REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
0427 PM EDT THU MAY 03 2018

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.16 INCH(ES) WAS SET AT FORT WAYNE TODAY. 
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 0.77 SET IN 1997. 

ADDITIONAL RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE THIS EVENING.

Probably a good thing to get that record over an inch. The three-quarters of an inch just sounded rather weak sauce.

Still no leaf out here, and amazingly barely any buds save for a few of the earlier species. Grass is nice and green though! Not sure if any Ontario posters track the leaf out but I'd be interested to see where we're at relative to the 'normal'. 

Strange look with the recent humidity! 

ynBQQNTr.jpg

20 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Hamilton Ontario had a gust of 126 km/h shortly ago which is one of the highest wind gusts I've ever heard of in southern Ontario. Highest winds in years here, and during a party sunny day which is nice!

Just saw that! One of the highest I can remember as well (67 kts for our American friends).

19 minutes ago, harrisale said:

Just saw that! One of the highest I can remember as well (67 kts for our American friends).

And then 25 minutes ago Waterloo had 122 km/h! :o This is nuts! TWN is doing live streaming coverage on their website. Doug G mentioned this will surpass the power outages from the ice storm 3 weeks ago (90,000 without power now in SON). I don't think Superstorm Sandy produced winds this strong gust wise around here but I don't recall the specific values (they were quite high).

EDIT: 5:00 pm wind gust of 118 km/h at Pearson, one of the highest seen there :lmao:.

53 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

And then 25 minutes ago Waterloo had 122 km/h! :o This is nuts! TWN is doing live streaming coverage on their website. Doug G mentioned this will surpass the power outages from the ice storm 3 weeks ago (90,000 without power now in SON). I don't think Superstorm Sandy produced winds this strong gust wise around here but I don't recall the specific values (they were quite high).

EDIT: 5:00 pm wind gust of 118 km/h at Pearson, one of the highest seen there :lmao:.

Just read that the 118 km/h gust (73 mph) gust at YYZ was the highest recorded since 1964. That’s 54 years ago! Impressive stuff out there. 

1 minute ago, harrisale said:

Just read that the 118 km/h gust (73 mph) gust at YYZ was the highest recorded since 1964. That’s 54 years ago! Impressive stuff out there. 

Woah that's incredible. Chris Scott thinks the all time record at YYZ is 137 km/h or so. I'd like to know what event caused that. Power outages are rapidly rising still. This is the most significant wind event of the decade IMBY and probably in SON...and of course was not hyped up days before (its always the day of or last minute/caught off guard).

27 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Woah that's incredible. Chris Scott thinks the all time record at YYZ is 137 km/h or so. I'd like to know what event caused that. Power outages are rapidly rising still. This is the most significant wind event of the decade IMBY and probably in SON...and of course was not hyped up days before (its always the day of or last minute/caught off guard).

Certainly the biggest non-thunderstorm wind event in quite some time. Hydro One reporting over 193,000 customers without power in Ontario. And of course that doesn’t even include Toronto or most of the GTA.

Not much hype that’s true. Honestly I didn’t even notice the models showing an event of this magnitude until this morning.

edit:   Flight operations (in and out) now fully suspended at YYZ.

1 hour ago, Torchageddon said:

I think the strongest Sandy gust was 74mph at Bluewater Bridge. 76mph in KW ks crazy! 

Despite very nice spring weather with temps in the 60's and nights barely making it to freezing, there's still patches of snow in the woods of the higher terrain... even isolated areas quite deep still. Around my house just patchy.  Some deer have returned and birds galore...everything is waking up.  Looking at pics from a year ago, I had blooming daffodils and this year they haven't even sprouted. 

IMG_5799.thumb.jpg.757c16c4f39cf6a7dc2f0639109b3f30.jpg

Still some several thousand customers without power today from yesterday’s wind event. At the peak of the outages, Hydro One reported 371,000 customers without power and Toronto Hydro reported 68,000 customers out. So that’s 439,000 total customers lost power in the storm in Ontario alone. Probably close to 1 million people! 

Unfortunately there was also one death from a fallen tree and a pedestrian was hit by a car in an area that had lost power and the streetlights were out. 

Very fascinating system yesterday, a fun one to watch unfold. In my town, you can see shingles off many roofs, and some of the older big trees didn’t make it through. I was biking home from work during the storm and was blown over twice. Also was blasted in the face a few times by sand and other debris flying around. 

Now imagine if the trees had been leafed out!

Nearing full-leafout in several spots in my area. I’d be willing to bet we’re at full bloom by the end of the week here. 

Forecast models have been playing catch-up in the last week. GFS, NAM, Euro and CFS all have tried holding the cold air over the Great Lakes through the long range, but every day is suppressing it further N/NE and as expected, latest runs keep increasing H8 and surface temps by a few degrees daily. Now, the cold air that was once progged to be over the Great Lake/NE is well into Canada and a much more late spring-early summer like pattern has filled its place. I’d expect our highs to be a little warmer than forecast each day (seems to be the case as of the late) - other than Thursday and Friday with the system/quasi stationary system moving in/taking shape.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the coming days for later this week into the weekend with the southern stream inching northward. That’s a lot of heat and moisture inching into cooler and drier air. 

4 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Some impressive diurnal spreads in the Upper Midwest today. 

INL dropped to 32 this morning, and is currently 83.  Normal for May 7th is 62/36.  Records are 90 in 1953, and 19 in 2004.

Dry air and very dry ground giving that spread in temps.  It seems like every other day has been a red flag warning the last couple weeks. 

12 hours ago, XfireLOW said:

Dry air and very dry ground giving that spread in temps.  It seems like every other day has been a red flag warning the last couple weeks. 

Yep, I noticed that too. INL made it up to 85 yesterday...so their diurnal range was 53 degrees. Reminds me of eastern OR and WA during their dry season.

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Yep, I noticed that too. INL made it up to 85 yesterday...so their diurnal range was 53 degrees. Reminds me of eastern OR and WA during their dry season.

Those 80s didn't feel like 80s either with the dry air.  It felt like low 70s, and the temps were noticeably cooling by 5-6 pm before diurnal cooling started.

Some of the surrounding farm fields have corn that is coming up already.  Farmers have been busy plowing and planting the past few weeks, and some of the fields were planted early enough that the corn emerged.  

Could get a few nice downpours later on tonight as that convection in northern MO heads this way.

Heading to Hawaii for 6 days early tomorrow.  Catch you guys next week. B)

24 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Some of the surrounding farm fields have corn that is coming up already.  Farmers have been busy plowing and planting the past few weeks, and some of the fields were planted early enough that the corn emerged.  

Could get a few nice downpours later on tonight as that convection in northern MO heads this way.

Enjoy

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Watch out for lava

Archived