Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Banter

George BM

23 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Been busy with house projects. Being the owner of  a log home, there are always projects lol. I like it though. Home improvement and renovations are fun to me.

Do we have a Home improvement/project thread? If not we should. I would love to see what everyone is doing around their place, outside of lawns and gardens.

I am all for a project thread. Just finished a 2 year project of completely gutting my whole basement which was only partially finished and leaking when bought, waterproofing the foundation (limestone and stone) with a concrete water barrier and building out to where we now have a bedroom, bathroom, walkin closet and living room. Actually I think it turned out very well. Now that I have finished I have just started gutting 1 of our spare bedrooms last week to get the old cracked horse hair plaster out and drywall in. Hope to figure out how to get a closet in there as well but am limited somewhat in space so we will see. Doesn't help that I am trying to work around the baseboard heating so as to not have to replace it. But am having some doubts that i will be able to. Have had the house for 13 years now and am probably close to 2/3 through totally renovating it. It was an older home and if I would have realized how much time, effort and money it would be I would have never bought it. But my wife likes older houses that aren't cookie cutters so that is what we got.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I am all for a project thread. Just finished a 2 year project of completely gutting my whole basement which was only partially finished and leaking when bought, waterproofing the foundation (limestone and stone) with a concrete water barrier and building out to where we now have a bedroom, bathroom, walkin closet and living room. Actually I think it turned out very well. Now that I have finished I have just started gutting 1 of our spare bedrooms last week to get the old cracked horse hair plaster out and drywall in. Hope to figure out how to get a closet in there as well but am limited somewhat in space so we will see. Doesn't help that I am trying to work around the baseboard heating so as to not have to replace it. But am having some doubts that i will be able to. Have had the house for 13 years now and am probably close to 2/3 through totally renovating it. It was an older home and if I would have realized how much time, effort and money it would be I would have never bought it. But my wife likes older houses that aren't cookie cutters so that is what we got.

Ok lets do it. I will create the thread. This could be a fun thread to pass the time here until fall lol.

15 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm with you...I love building stuff.  It's finding the time that proves difficult for me. I just spent 1 and a half years finishing and customizing my basement..I Did the framing,  plumbing , electric, drywall, tile , builtins...did it all man. I'd like to share  pics and see pics from others as well.

Love to see some photos. Post em in the new thread!

I did all the finish work on my house too. Had a builder put up the shell, rough in the electrical, and stud the inside walls, and my dad and I did the rest. I subbed out the plumbing- hate plumbing lol. The inside is all tongue and groove pine. No drywall. Long process.

7 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yep, I'm out of the region now. Back in my home state of CT, so not the best cane chasing location lol.

Essentially, my gf was ready to settle and I was ready to take the next leap in my life. It's a uncertain, hard, and expensive (so far) but totally worth it. We only have one life to live. 

I'll be back down in DC fairly regularly though, and posting here often. I'd love to still catch everyone at a summer gathering. 

Congrats, man. Sometimes we have to make a difficult decision to take us forward, so all credit to you!

20 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yep, I'm out of the region now. Back in my home state of CT, so not the best cane chasing location lol.

Essentially, my gf was ready to settle and I was ready to take the next leap in my life. It's a uncertain, hard, and expensive (so far) but totally worth it. We only have one life to live. 

I'll be back down in DC fairly regularly though, and posting here often. I'd love to still catch everyone at a summer gathering. 

Hey man!

Just popped in today for the first time in a while. Things are settling down for me. Moved to CT huh? I go there at least 6 times a year because my sis lives in Weston. It's a cool place. I really like Devils Den nature preserve. Great place for a hike and it's right around the corner from her house. 

Who's going to run the panic room now? If we get another Nina our entire sub will BE the panic room so we may not need it next year. LOL

12 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Hey man!

Just popped in today for the first time in a while. Things are settling down for me. Moved to CT huh? I go there at least 6 times a year because my sis lives in Weston. It's a cool place. I really like Devils Den nature preserve. Great place for a hike and it's right around the corner from her house. 

Who's going to run the panic room now? If we get another Nina our entire sub will BE the panic room so we may not need it next year. LOL

I would consider running it but I could never do it the justice it deserves like @WxWatcher007 did. He was one excellent Reaper. Of course there would be one positive. I can at least get videos and pics to come up. :D

13 hours ago, H2O said:

Caps win, pens lose.  And it’s about effing time

Now that we have that out of the way what fresh Hell are the Caps now going to visit on us. But it is all good because my Father-in-law now owes me a buck. Of course I will have to deal with him telling me how the Pens already have 1 for the thumb or some such nonsense.

16 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Now that we have that out of the way what fresh Hell are the Caps now going to visit on us. But it is all good because my Father-in-law now owes me a buck. Of course I will have to deal with him telling me how the Pens already have 1 for the thumb or some such nonsense.

Nah, no thumb yet 

Just 3-0 Crosby over Ovie when it comes to Stanley Cups

14 hours ago, nj2va said:

CAPS!!!!!

I literally pulled my groin jumping out of the recliner when i saw Kuzy on the breakaway. I knew the game was over. What a win, especially with us missing 3 of our top 6 players. I sure hope Backstrom and Burakovsky are back for the TB series or we may be in trouble. This may finally be our year.

1 hour ago, ravensrule said:

I literally pulled my groin jumping out of the recliner when i saw Kuzy on the breakaway. I knew the game was over. What a win, especially with us missing 3 of our top 6 players. I sure hope Backstrom and Burakovsky are back for the TB series or we may be in trouble. This may finally be our year.

Yea, the thought of a game 7... against the pens no less.... was something I didn't want to watch. Funny how this year has gone. Low hype and no pressure all year after being all hype and pressure for many previous years and the caps are now 4 wins from the playing for the cup. Getting past TB will need a healthy lineup. They're too fast to keep up with shorthanded. 

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

There are a number of great parks and hiking locations here. Once I'm settled I should try to find one. 

Haven't decided who I'll hand the keys to The Panic Room yet. There should be a competition for it lol. 

Don't think anyone else could really do justice to the panic room. You were the man. 

21 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Hey man!

H20, hands down. He would make a decent reaper.

But, there is only one True Reaper. 

Once The Reaper, ALWAYS The Reaper. Reapers are Immortal. They cannot retire. WxWeather007 may think he retired, but The Reaper cannot retire. This is the age of the Internets. WxWatcher007 can be in India, and still conduct the Business of The Reaper.

The winter of 2018-2019 will be characterized by a moderate Nina. It will be hard, it will be tough. I might have to winter over in the Brooks Range.

Come November 27, 2018, I fully EXPECT to see WxWatcher007 continue his brilliant Reaper career here at American WxForums. He can be located physically in Tibet, preparing to scale Mount Everest, and still Reap. And the first one he will reap, will be ME, because I will be forecasting an outright mild winter for us, with exactly one inch of snow.

Put the shovels away forever. You wont need them. 

Get the sickle ready.

5 hours ago, ravensrule said:

I jumped up when I saw Kuzy on the breakaway and knew we had it then.  This team just feels different — great goaltending, multiple players stepping up, defense is there, and so much grit.  And to knock off PIttsburgh in their arena was just icing on the cake.  

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I jumped up when I saw Kuzy on the breakaway and knew we had it then.  This team just feels different — great goaltending, multiple players stepping up, defense is there, and so much grit.  And to knock off PIttsburgh in their arena was just icing on the cake.  

It was bound to happen sometime - the law of averages does balance out in the end, and it just happened to be this year.  Last time though the Lightning played the Caps in the playoffs, the Caps were swept 4-0.

I expect a 6 or 7 game series... both teams are pretty much solid in all areas.  Caps probably need to steal a game in Tampa IMO, as being down 2-0 to Tampa is much different than being down 2-0 to Columbus.

6 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Another stunner of a spring day. Took a walk at the harbor at lunch, heading to the O's game tonight (friends and family only in attendance I suspect...). 74 degrees.

So sorry you had to do that.. but hey, at least the weather is good for the game! 

17 hours ago, nj2va said:

I’m psyched for Friday night. It would be hilarious if this was the year we won the Cup after all the great teams we have had in the past few years.

4 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Just A tad wet thru day 15 on the gfs..

gfs_apcpn_neus_52.png

We need some rain, but I am not holding my breath. It will find a way to miss us - typical Mid Atlantic Lucy unfolding for MBY lmao

If Maryland gets the rain I'll cheer them on and hope they stay safe, if SE VA gets the rain instead of me I hope they get slammed by a Cat 5 'Cane this summer and leveled then the cane misses me and veers sharply east and OTS lol, I have no wish for more high winds after March 1-2 lol.

Better odds on the Deadskins making the playoffs by the year 7914.

Morning from the Grand Canyon! Watched the sun rise about an hour ago, headed out the door to do some more 'touristy' stuff. Stopped at 4 corners on the way down yesterday and took the required pic lol. Spent a couple days at Mesa Verde earlier (a must see) and after a few days here swinging by Petrified Forest and back up to Moab, UT and Arches (son missed that last year, and it is worth another view IMO) Glad to be up in elevation a bit, yesterday running from 4 corners toward Flagstaff car therm hit 97 a couple times...YUCK! But, we climbed 2000 feet and it was 82ish in Flagstaff and hung around there rest of trip to here. AZ does NOT do DST, so it is 3 hours behind time back home this time of the year....sorta strange.

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

Morning from the Grand Canyon! Watched the sun rise about an hour ago, headed out the door to do some more 'touristy' stuff. Stopped at 4 corners on the way down yesterday and took the required pic lol. Spent a couple days at Mesa Verde earlier (a must see) and after a few days here swinging by Petrified Forest and back up to Moab, UT and Arches (son missed that last year, and it is worth another view IMO) Glad to be up in elevation a bit, yesterday running from 4 corners toward Flagstaff car therm hit 97 a couple times...YUCK! But, we climbed 2000 feet and it was 82ish in Flagstaff and hung around there rest of trip to here. AZ does NOT do DST, so it is 3 hours behind time back home this time of the year....sorta strange.

Awesome. Need to get there at some point myself. Been to Vegas at least a dozen times and yet have never made it to the Grand Canyon. The one time I did plan on going got nixed because the Parks closed for a budget battle.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived