Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Banter

George BM

5 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Well. To cut into the Cap/Pens talk, I've been wanting to say this now for a while, but thought today is a good time. Tomorrow will be my last full-time shift at my current place of employment. I will be embarking on my dream job of being in the National Weather Service out in Midland, Texas starting this summer. I will also be getting married in June before I head out, so life has really taken a magical turn for me, and I couldn't be more excited. 

I will always remember the sub-forum and have learned a lot over the years and talked to some great people. I'll certainly check in on occasion, especially if a Winter Storm is on the way. I'll miss everyone in here. Stay true weather Weenies. We are all in one big, convoluted and slightly disturbed weather family. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Congrats on all fronts there. I think Midland can be a hot/arid climate, and can get big storms with those dry lines. We seem to be dropping members off at a quick rate last week.......

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final word on our argument and my final post about it -- http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23394913/tj-oshie-washington-capitals-says-ban-teammate-tom-wilson-was-very-extreme

The NHL sent out mixed signals on the hit after Game 3. Paul Devorski, the NHL on-site supervisor of officials, told the media that game officials consulted with one another about the hit and decided not to penalize Wilson.

"They all got together," said Devorski, "and they said, 'You know what, we've got a good, clean check here.'"

That word reached the Capitals, but the NHL Department of Player Safety, which is in charge of supplemental discipline, had another camera angle that showed Wilson making Aston-Reese's head the main point of contact. It also felt Wilson hit with a "lifting" motion.

The nature of the hit, the severity of the injury and the fact that Wilson was twice suspended during the 2017-18 preseason resulted in the three-game ban.

Thank you everyone for all the best wishes!! It's going to be exciting. Just know, if anyone is ever chasing in the area, my home will be open for a crashing point. I'm sure I'll post some pics of super cells while I'm out there. Midland is a warmer climate and when on the west side of the dry line, it can become very arid. Dew point in the big system last week hit -12 there. All kinds of weather in the High Plains of Texas. Blue Northers in the winter and can get big snow/ice events every so often. Main weather is severe and fire weather. Hail is the most common severe threat. Baseball or greater is seen in the CWA at least once a year.

On 5/3/2018 at 2:37 PM, MillvilleWx said:

Well. To cut into the Cap/Pens talk, I've been wanting to say this now for a while, but thought today is a good time. Tomorrow will be my last full-time shift at my current place of employment. I will be embarking on my dream job of being in the National Weather Service out in Midland, Texas starting this summer. I will also be getting married in June before I head out, so life has really taken a magical turn for me, and I couldn't be more excited. 

I will always remember the sub-forum and have learned a lot over the years and talked to some great people. I'll certainly check in on occasion, especially if a Winter Storm is on the way. I'll miss everyone in here. Stay true weather Weenies. We are all in one big, convoluted and slightly disturbed weather family. Wouldn't have it any other way!

A bit late reading through the May banter here...but I'd like to also offer my congrats on a new life getting married, and the new job in TX!  Best wishes and good fortune to you!  I hope you'll be able to still stop in here now and then with your thoughts on various weather events (especially winter, of course).  Your thoughts and posts have always been informative!

And yeah, we're convoluted and perhaps more than just slightly disturbed!! :lol:

MAINE is getting good strong thunderstorms while we miss out. Go figure.

Maine gets the Cold, they get the Snow, and they get the Thunderstorms.

What we do all year, is get BORED, to tears. And we get Lucy'd. (I can say it. I can admit its a nina year, and I wont get reaped because the reaper is retired lol. I can actually admit it was a horrid winter, and that this will likely be a hot, boring summer. We skipped spring. We dont get thunderstorms, Maine gets all of the storminess.)

On 5/3/2018 at 2:37 PM, MillvilleWx said:

Gonna miss you! I've enjoyed your posts. I wish you the very best!

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

I’ll be sporting my Caps jersey tomorrow out here at Deep Creek aka enemy country when it comes to hockey.  

And I bought tickets to a potential Game 7...hopefully we don’t need it and Caps win in 6 :)

Dang it... I'm going to Game 5 with my brother tomorrow night... he's a big Caps fan and ofc me the big Penguins fan.  I just was about to ask if anyone was going to Game 5 and if they wanted to meet and say hi.

You won't need your Game 7 tickets *Force wave* ;)

You will keep them for next year when the Penguins win the series 4-2

5 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

First float of the season this afternoon for some river smallmouth...Hoping the rain will hold off until late this eve.  HRRR looks terrible but everything else holds anything steady off until 6-8pm.  Then, pray for rain tomorrow so the kid's track meet gets canceled! lol  I love my kids but I hate all day track meets....brutal.

I know what you mean.  I used to coach track and the only thing worse than the all day spring meets were the all night winter indoor meets.

11 hours ago, nj2va said:

I’ll be sporting my Caps jersey tomorrow out here at Deep Creek aka enemy country when it comes to hockey.  

And I bought tickets to a potential Game 7...hopefully we don’t need it and Caps win in 6 :)

Wear it proudly!!

8 hours ago, yoda said:

Dang it... I'm going to Game 5 with my brother tomorrow night... he's a big Caps fan and ofc me the big Penguins fan.  I just was about to ask if anyone was going to Game 5 and if they wanted to meet and say hi.

I thought about getting a couple of tickets for tonight's game but they're out of my price range. Have fun tonight, Yoda, though hopefully you leave there disappointed!

12 hours ago, yoda said:

I’m happy to hear your brother has some sense in your family! ;) have fun at the game

3 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

1 Justify

2 Audible

3 Lone Sailor 

4 Good magic

5 My Boy Jack

Good lineup there for you.  I have a boxed trifecta with 1/2/5 and another with Mendelssohn in there instead of Justify.  First time betting on the KY Derby.  A fun night of sporting events ahead

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Boom! Caps win 6-3...what a game by Holtby and Vrana.  Keep Vrana on the 1st line, please.

Caps played the better 3rd while Penguins played a better 2nd.  But the 3rd period is when it counts.  We will be back in Washington on Wednesday 

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Caps played the better 3rd while Penguins played a better 2nd.  But the 3rd period is when it counts.  We will be back in Washington on Wednesday 

Agree with this. Pitt had Caps on the ropes in 2nd and couldn't close the deal. I told BIL watching the game with me if Pitt made it 4-2 that was game, but Caps held them and went into lockerroom down 1 instead of 2 goals.....huge difference.

43 minutes ago, yoda said:

Your earlier prediction of no Game 7 still stands.  

Backstrom has an upper body injury (hopefully not serious).  Trotz is calling the late hit on Carlson “a hit to the head” and said the standard has been set by the NHL.  It looked fine to me in real time but I’d need to go back and see it again.  

40 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Your earlier prediction of no Game 7 still stands.  

Backstrom has an upper body injury (hopefully not serious).  Trotz is calling the late hit on Carlson “a hit to the head” and said the standard has been set by the NHL.  It looked fine to me in real time but I’d need to go back and see it again.  

Yes I know I said that... *Force wave* you will now need your Game 7 tickets :lol:

Need to see the replay to for Carlson hit... we shall see what the league does

Tonight, if you are located well north west of Dale City and of DC........

You are scoring plenty of cooling, life giving rainfall.

You are likely in the 50s and lovin  every minute of it.

If you are unfvcking unlucky enough to reside in Dale City and south......................

You are making do with 70s weather at night and making do without any rain. whats worse, the forecast is getting more and more horrific. At this rate, I will have sunny skies tomorrow and 85 degrees while North Maryland will be 47 degrees with 2-3 inches of rain.

I'd gladly sell my soul to hell forever for cool weather and steady rain. But there is no use wishin'. Beggars cant ever be choosers, and I've been beggin for rain since the start of 2018. And, I wont be getting any, anytime soon.

EDIT - You know what they say - Things can't get any worse. Well, they DID GET WORSE. NWS has degraded the forecast for Dale City to 20 percent rain tonight, tomorrow  and tomorrow night. I dont get NADA.

This is what happens in a NINA SPRING and SUMMER. It stops raining at all. It will get hotter than Hell. Grass everywhere in this region will die and blow away. Tumbleweeds will start blowing around and overrun pedestrians. This will be the WORST SUMMER EVER RECORDED in northern Virginia since records began to be kept. I just KNEW I would get no rain with this system. NWS has been SCRAMBLING at top speed to catch up with the stark reality that this weather system was never going to bring us any rain at all - it was all well north and well west.

This is such a record bad year, that I am getting Lucy'd by spring and summer too. The forecast says rain, then at the last minute, it changes and I get NO rain. No rain means record amounts of pollen in the air and I cant breathe, I have been coughing my lungs out and sneezing  and sneezing and sneezing and sneezing and sneezing and sneezing and sneezing and sneezing! I give myself a 1 in fourteen quintillion chance of surviving just the record pollen levels. 

EDIT 2: I think that the Washington DC/Dale City  Region got caught in between two systems, the one to the northwest that has been dumping rain pretty much the past 24 hours there and bringing them nice cool 38 degree temps, and the system well to our southeast, that has been dumping steady rains there as well.

It's obvious that WE will turn out mostly DRY tonight and tomorrow, then really dry out big time as a particularly dry upper level trough moves over and another cool front brings very dry air over us. So, the Infamous Drought of 2018 is officially underway. In short - We are shyte out of luck rain-wise. I dont know why I ever let my hopes go up for rain, when I know I am in a high sun period Nina and I will stay dry in all likelihood, til early next year LMAO! Ninas are devilish in this part of the world, they bring hellish hot summers and no rain at all. I am so happy that I will miss the rain because the POLLEN will get worse and I get to breathe in deep so much of the pollen, with absolutely no respite. I'll cough myself to death.

4 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Just popped on for the first time in awhile as well. Kind of surprised to see 007 is moving. Probably heading to somewhere where tracking Hurricanes is actually worthwhile.

I haven't been around much either. 007 is leaving too? I know MillvilleWx is moving- heading to Texas I believe, but didn't know we were losing the reaper.

Been busy with house projects. Being the owner of  a log home, there are always projects lol. I like it though. Home improvement and renovations are fun to me.

Do we have a Home improvement/project thread? If not we should. I would love to see what everyone is doing around their place, outside of lawns and gardens.

9 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I haven't been around much either. 007 is leaving too? I know MillvilleWx is moving- heading to Texas I believe, but didn't know we were losing the reaper.

Just saw that Millville was leaving as well. He will be missed as well. Did this winter piss people off so much that they are moving away? Kind of surprised we don't see Interstate on the moving list as well because we all know how much he likes mid-atlantic weather. :D

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived