Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May we finally see the darling buds ... patterns and models

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

What's your guys thoughts on Saturday for rain potential? Definitely doesn't look to wet but I am playing a show outside in Somerville for Porchfest. Think we get a little wet while playing some tunes or does it stay mostly dry? 

I think Saturday has the best shot for showers and thunderstorms between Thursday's front and Saturday's

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Oaks are finally leafing out here. The black flies are in mid-season form. Screw the winter moths...find a way to get rid of those damn things. You can’t even go outside in the evening. 

You are about a week behind us with Oaks and flies. The flies have backed off now, but yea everyone loves hot weather until they don't. bugs suck

24 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Oaks are finally leafing out here. The black flies are in mid-season form. Screw the winter moths...find a way to get rid of those damn things. You can’t even go outside in the evening. 

They're claiming victory over winter moth in Mass...

http://www.wcvb.com/article/pesky-tree-killer-about-to-be-wiped-out-in-massachusetts/20273297

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What are these black flies you speak of? 

It's a northern "workshare" thing - blackflies work the day shift and skeeters take over at night.

Headed down to Topsham for a final check on last winter's timber harvest on the state lot there.  Expect both blackflies and Merrymeeting Monster Mosquitos there.  It's also a tick haven.

34 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That is odd, I have hardly noticed any this year.  Bats ftw?   We have plenty of those in my neighborhood.

Bats have been considerably reduced in these parts by the white nose syndrome.  I never thought I would say that I miss bats but I do.  You used to see them swooping through clouds of bugs that gather by street lights but that is a relatively rare sight now.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Wander your way over to the Lawn Thread for your answer.....:grad:

37 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That is odd, I have hardly noticed any this year.  Bats ftw?   We have plenty of those in my neighborhood.

We have a ton of bats...heck I was seeing them while we still had snow on the ground weeks ago. I guess the fly to bat ratio is a little too high up here. We went from having one or two bother me one night to unrelenting swarms the next.

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

It's a northern "workshare" thing - blackflies work the day shift and skeeters take over at night.

Headed down to Topsham for a final check on last winter's timber harvest on the state lot there.  Expect both blackflies and Merrymeeting Monster Mosquitos there.  It's also a tick haven.

The smog from NJ/NYC must make it far enough NE that it keeps them confined to the great white north. 

15 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Wander your way over to the Lawn Thread for your answer.....:grad:

Yeah, I saw your post. I meant forget about the moths...find a predator for my blakcflies instead. I haven't seen many winter moths up here to begin with.

Archived