• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May we finally see the darling buds ... patterns and models

Typhoon Tip

It's funny ... the GFS-based teleconnectors really are pretty impressively hot there mid month.   But again ..their utility declines post May ...slower at first but by June, CDC stops calculating the cross-correlations until the end of August for example.  Not sure...  

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, weathafella said:

A late push for BOS-82 now with the loss of onshore zephyr.

And it really only needs to be the gentlest of flicks from it's poisonous tongue - Madusa breeze, so soft so delicate barely enough to wiggle a flag, and purely toxic

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

An awesome next 7 days incoming, besides the rain sunday....low 70s low dews, spring as it used to be. get out there and enjoy it. 

The axis of heaviest rain has been trending north...unfortunately it's over my fanny now on the NCEP guidance.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I really want to plant everything right now, but that airmass on the GFS for next weekend has me on hold. -2C 850s and sfc high pressure right around my climo mean for the last 32F.

Mid May even in areas not far from Boston is the safe date.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I really want to plant everything right now, but that airmass on the GFS for next weekend has me on hold. -2C 850s and sfc high pressure right around my climo mean for the last 32F.

I'm here in N-central MA and my climate zone says the third week of May ... One thing I'm wondering about those growing season charts; do they take into consideration species tolerances?

Lettuce loves cold weather.  I mean ...perhaps not 'freezing' per se, but there are plant types that like that murky and mist and chilly schit, and can tolerate a surprisingly chilly night. My brother-n-law sarcastically gestured that his Swiss Chard seems to need -10 F ! it won't die.. But the literature says light frosts.. Point being, 'growing season' can't really be a hard designation -

Anyway, by the time we get to your latitude I wonder what the zone recommendation is up that way. If we're the third week of May for things like Tomatoes and Peppers... jesus, you'd think it starts to challenge the futility of growing those types at all because in 6 weeks we're losing sun

2 hours ago, LurkerBoy said:

Heard a met friend say the other day could be the hottest we get until August. 

Did you let NCEP know ...?

They have been in desperate need of valuable insights to integrate into their seasonal outlooks. There's been a marked deficit in the availability of "...My friend said.." input into the think tanks of scientific responsibility as of late ... particularly during the last 10 years of this industrial-cultural evolution via the murky quagmire of Internet and social-media based public opinion ... It's probably in fact why the official office' track record on long-lead prognostics has been dicey as of late, because they can't seem to find My friend.

:)

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

Next weekend sure looks colder on 122z GFS than some earlier runs.  Assuming the ground isn't too wet (mine is, so no garden till today), peas, cabbage and relatives, carrots, beets, spinach, radishes are probably safe, though at my frost pocket another week's wait is prudent. For the tender stuff, I wait until early June - haven't had a June frost in several years but median for last frost is May 25.

Lettuce loves cold weather.  I mean ...perhaps not 'freezing' per se, but there are plant types that like that murky and mist and chilly schit, and can tolerate a surprisingly chilly night. My brother-n-law sarcastically gestured that his Swiss Chard seems to need -10 F ! it won't die.. But the literature says light frosts.. Point being, 'growing season' can't really be a hard designation

Mature veggies are tougher than seedlings - I've had tomatoes/peppers survive a light Sept frost, though the cucurbits were toast.  In Fort Kent I had broccoli make it through a 9° morning in mid-Nov.  (The -1 a few days later nailed it.)

25 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

...  The lawn looks like sh*t though.  I need to spend some time in the lawn thread for some tips and advice.

The appearance of my lawn is a function of where the ground warmed up.  The north side corner where it is shady still looks pretty tired, everywhere the sun has been at it is lush and green.  

...How 'bout a spring < than those numbers -

Jesus, does the NAM absolutely punish eastern zones for the impertinence of daring to exist where it does.  ALB may touch 74 or 75 on Tuesday, sure.. but eastern Mass?  F' you for livin'! 

Apparently the NAM never got the memo that we are owed because of last month - it just goes right on relentless..   Ah, man... too bad climate didn't have instant atonement, huh?  Nope ...gonna probably have 5 years of +.01 to make up for that supernatural attack last month.  haha GOP climate normalizing - take and take and give pretty much nothing back...

Archived