joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May we finally see the darling buds ... patterns and models

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting ride this morning.  Quite balmy on the top of the ridge maybe 500-600 feet above the Mohawk on the south side, but descending the mile down the south face it dropped a good ten degrees as soon as it pitched over and I figured the valley floor would warm back up but it was like a cold air drain was happening.  It was actually cooler than when I rode out that same road maybe an hour earlier.  Nice breeze push downriver too.  Even in town by the river it was cooler until I got about half way back up the hill to home.  

there's a kinda quick and dirty rule of thumb, " ten after 10 "  

If we can put up an 80 spot in 20 minutes things are lookin' good for the 90 posterity but...this situation is also a little rare in that we have max heating potential that exceeds the starting plat-form, so the end result may over-achieve on those sort of baser tendencies.  

Later on in the summer if you want 100 ... look for " 90 by 9 "  ... the thinking there is that it's harder to make the century mark as we tend to have more cloud contamination than say, Texas ... 

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

there's a kinda quick and dirty rule of thumb, " ten after 10 "  

If we can put up an 80 spot in 20 minutes things are lookin' good for the 90 posterity but...this situation is also a little rare in that we have max heating potential that exceeds the starting plat-form, so the end result may over-achieve on those sort of baser tendencies.  

Later on in the summer if you want 100 ... look for " 90 by 9 "  ... the thinking there is that it's harder to make the century mark as we tend to have more cloud contamination than say, Texas ... 

Popped an 80F at TAN before 10am..

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Popped an 80F at TAN before 10am..

Mm ... OWD and FIT both 81 as of 9:45, too 

But the rule may be mutable more so than usual in this case because we are going for a favorable dip to a favorable acme in this case...  77 by 10  heh.  

On 4/24/2018 at 6:25 AM, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like we make a run at 90 next week. Get them installed this weekend folks

On 4/24/2018 at 6:27 AM, CoastalWx said:

Nothing supports 90. But 80s possible.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:30 AM, Damage In Tolland said:

850's do with downsloping and no foliage. Taake any forecast highs you see next week up up up

On 4/24/2018 at 6:32 AM, CoastalWx said:

They don't dude. Chillax.

Hmmmm.....

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Should be a good over performer with the lack of foliage and greened underbrush.

I'm curious...what does the green underbrush have to do with perhaps making it warmer?   Is it the greening underbrush absorbs and radiates the heat back out at the surface??

81/47 we cOC what a beautiful day, wish it were a day off to enjoy, being stuck inside in AC is a crime against humanity. Fri/Sat looks awesome though, cant wait. sunday is a trouble spot but after that we cOC as far as the eye can see, 60s and 70s low dews. Awesome

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I'm curious...what does the green underbrush have to do with perhaps making it warmer?   Is it the greening underbrush absorbs and radiates the heat back out at the surface??

It raises the near-sfc RH via evapotranspiration....it's easier to overperform temps when it is drier. So less green underbrush actually helps get warmer temps.

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Should be a good over performer with the lack of foliage and greened underbrush.

yeah...thinking records could be in jeopardy ... if one or two fall - 

FIT, BED, BOS, ASH, LWM and BVY all 81 or 83 already...  It's kind of a Rt 2 special with the WSW/W flow...  I wonder also if SE of a Wilimantic CT-BOS get dimmed by the L.I. if the winds stays light could see base reflectivity wobbling a breeze interface in that area.

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hmmmm.....

Today was more of a downslope dandy than anything I thought a week ago, kill me. LOL.  But as I said a week ago, watch for the clouds and that may happen tomorrow. 

So, today will be the warmest day. I think most though tomorrow had the chance several days ago. 

Archived