Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2018 Obs

Powerball

On 5/20/2018 at 8:17 PM, jburns said:

My grand total for the entire week is 0.53". I mowed my yard Friday morning and my mower tires didn't even get wet. Van Denton pointed out the precip hole on the weather Friday evening.

Finally got some significant precip this afternoon.   2.26" in about 2 hours.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/22/2018 at 7:47 AM, Solak said:

NWS RaleighVerified account @NWSRaleigh 2h2 hours ago

Think you've had a lot of rain lately? Depends on where you live. Parts of central NC have seen much less than normal (yellow shading) in the last 2 weeks, while others have had over 300% of normal (purple shading)! #ncwxDdywu8OUQAA24GK.jpg

I am in the 300% band (and got another .22" IMBY yesterday)

Big time flood threat for FFC with some pretty scary language being used.  

Isloated 8” totals

creeks and rivers overflowing their banks and affecting homes and businesses.

the creeks and rivers will not recess until well after the rain is over. 

.FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING...

The National Weather Service in Peachtree City has issued a

* Flash Flood Watch for North and Central Georgia.

* Through Saturday morning

* Additional rounds of very heavy rainfall are likely as a trough of low pressure to the west feeds very high amounts of moisture into the area. Total rainfall amounts through Friday night could range from 2 to 4 inches with isolated amounts up to 8 inches. Much of this heavy rain could fall in a short amount of time. With the heavy rain that has already fallen in the last 2 days, it will only take a relatively small amount of heavy rain to cause significant flash flooding.

* Creeks and rivers will rise out of their banks closing roads or impacting homes, businesses and farms. Roads may become closed for extended periods of time. High water will not recede until well after the rain has ended. 

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.

You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.

1.28 this morning in the rain gauge, 2.28" since this rainy period began.  Sunshine today so I can cut the lawn jungle down a bit, well my teenager can do the cutting.  Nice to see my investment in teenage boys finally pay off a bit.  Doesn't cover the food bill though, I may have to farm them out to the neighbors.

We never had a spring.  Probably the thing I hate most lately about living in the Carolinas.  Spring has been almost nonexistent the last few years.  We went from 40's to 80's in 3 weeks.  And now 80's with insane humidity.  Gonna be a long sweaty summer.

On a bright note, the grass is green and the ponds are full.  Plenty of wet thus far with more on the way this week.

Our point forecast has already cut our 1"-2" today in half.... 3/4" - 1" now. Light rain just started.

Meanwhile, to the South and East...

THE LATEST HRRR/HRRRX GUIDANCE IS SHOWING A LIKELIHOOD OF TRAINING
CONVECTIVE BANDS LIFTING UP NORTH IN OFF THE ATLANTIC OCEAN AND
INLAND ACROSS THE IMMEDIATE SC/NC COASTAL PLAIN OVER THE NEXT
SEVERAL HOURS WITH SOME EXTREMELY HEAVY RAINFALL POTENTIAL. IN
FACT...THE 12Z RUNS OF THESE MODELS ARE SHOWING AS MUCH AS 5 TO 8
INCHES OF RAINFALL POTENTIAL GOING THROUGH MID-AFTERNOON...WITH
SOME OF THE GREATEST POTENTIAL EXPECTED TO BE AROUND THE MYRTLE
BEACH SC AREA ALONG WITH ADJACENT TOWNS TO THE NORTH INTO
SOUTHEAST NC WEST OF THE WILMINGTON AREA. ENHANCED RUNOFF PROBLEMS
AND FLASH FLOODING WILL BE POSSIBLE.

Graphic for MPD #0214