• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

Do you have the same concentration of warmest days right around the solstice up there? It's very rare for temperatures to top 100F here outside the June 22-29 week here. Something like half of all 100F or hotter readings here are in that period, even though it can be 100F here from early June to September.

It was 96F here today. I'd bet pretty good money we have less than 10 days left over 95F here through September 30th.

Looking over climate stuff... DEN has had 0.79 inches of rain May 15-July 15. May 15-July 14 only 0.58. Normal in that period is around 4 inches. Gotta be close to a record if anything like that is ever kept. I know other areas (downtown etc, and MBY- we've had about 2.5 inches in that time) have had somewhat more, but still.

If you do a plot on the NWS NOWDATA page (see the climate page) then I believe DIA has gotten 0.88" in this time period and the lowest on record is 0.66". So this is close to a record dry streak for these particular 61 days. 

According to the NWS 4-km precipitation analysis, most areas nearby are at least 80% of average precipitation in the last 60 days.

edit: sometimes that 4-km gridded analysis doesn't exactly match up with this type of plot with airports/COOP stations

kwC6CwU.png

We keep hitting 98F here, close, but no cigar for that elusive, non-June 100F reading.

The GFS has been showing stupid amounts of rain for the RGV, the NAM has the rains on the east slopes of the Sandias and Manzano mountains which makes more sense to me. Either way, looking forward to temperatures closer to 90F again.

I got a couple of great sunset pictures, from different perspectives in town. I always wanted to get pictures like these. I don't typically seek out good spots away from the trees.

We have had 4 days in the mid-90's in a row. Hopefully, a cool-down on Monday.

7/2

7x4Gz93.jpg

7/14: Long's Peak and Mt. Meeker

jzwWmL2.jpg

Some heavier rain areas are starting to spread across the Denver metro/ north to Longmont. As severe thunderstorm watch is in effect Denver and southeast-ward.  Now there's a tornado warned storm tracking toward Manitou Springs/ Pike's Peak. Seriously, there's a mountain that might disrupt the tornado inflow, if there ever is a tornado.

Had a nice wet microburst in Aurora yesterday around 4:30 with our great thunderstorm that finally provided some good water. For about a minute I couldn't see across the street. Fortunately there wasn't much of anything nearby that could be damaged by the winds that were clocked at 61 mph at Buckley AFB. There was scattered street flooding, and some cars stuck in the water in Montbello.

1 hour ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Had a nice wet microburst in Aurora yesterday around 4:30 with our great thunderstorm that finally provided some good water. For about a minute I couldn't see across the street. Fortunately there wasn't much of anything nearby that could be damaged by the winds that were clocked at 61 mph at Buckley AFB. There was scattered street flooding, and some cars stuck in the water in Montbello.

Things were not terribly stormy, as we got 0.10" to 0.50" of rain in the area, with a few weak rumbles of thunder at my place yesterday. Over two days, my place got about 0.25". Thankfully, it was much cooler, around 70 for the afternoon. Parts of Larimer County have gotten some better rains in the past 2 days.

13 hours ago, Chinook said:

This must have been the storm. Looks like 60-70 dBz at either I-225 or road C470. (Not sure)

Yup, that was it. Core of the hail passed just barely north of us near 225, but we got some pea-sized hail along with an inch of rain in 40 minutes or so. That poor owl got soaked, but didn't complain about it.

Another (marginally) severe hailstorm is tracking across the north metro I-25/E470, possibly tracking over DIA soon.

edit: storm getting worse, possibly dropping 1.5" to 2.0" hail. This is showing a hook shape, but nothing big on velocity

Really interesting to see what's happening today. Plenty of moisture in place, but storms are much more discrete, with just 8 or 9 cells (several supercellular) on the FTG radar at this time, most all of them separated from one another by large distances. In between, nothing at all. Course, outflow boundaries crashing into each other could change that in a hurry, like last night. The last 2 days there was much more coverage with not as many discrete cells. Are the discrete cells sucking all the moisture away from the rest of the area?

Big, widespread heavy rains today with lots of thunder. Dropped to 64F briefly with the rains around 8 pm here. City is at 1.52" now for the month, after 1.40" in June. Pretty solid start. My May 10 Summer forecast for the city had a high of 92.1F and 1.55" rain, we're at 92.6F and 1.52" currently, so going to be damn close unless we get enormous amounts of rain the next five days.

This is a shelf cloud from a discrete (hail) cell NE of Fort Collins tonight. This was not taken from home, but a convenient location away from trees and houses. Otherwise, my area got just a few sprinkles, maybe 0.01" of rain today. Fort Collins has gotten above normal rain for this month,even though this storm missed by a bit.  

CDSAreU.jpg

This was the radar image of the hailstorm as it passed over Cheyenne. The storm expanded east-west as it developed. The west side of this storm broke off, and moved SSE, and that's my picture from last night (maybe weak rotation). (see 2nd image)

XT04QMM.png

iUso3R6.png

If you get the time to see something nuts, we had two lines of thundershowers moving in different directions (N->S and W->E) today feed off one another and kind of explode over the Rio Grande Valley today. It's been raining where I am for close to four hours. After the rains yesterday, we only hit 87F today. Down to 63F when it rained. I was inside tonight and the hail made it through the door somehow into the house. Officially the city has had (at least) five days with 0.10" or more rain this July - which is starting to get into rarer territory. Tends to favor/indicate heavy snowfall in December here.

So far, 3.5+ inches of rain here since June 1 (average is 2 inches). 

On 7/29/2018 at 7:08 PM, ValpoVike said:

Chinook looks to get walloped in a few minutes...

I live in Loveland now, so the hail missed me. Fort Collins and Loveland got above normal precipitation for July. Yay! Today, we have upper 80's probably 90 near I-25, and the smoke from distant wildfires is much worse. Many of our recent days have been a little hazy and cloudy at times, but today, I can't see Long's Peak from Loveland. It is in a world of haze. I think I might even smell smoke, but it is hard to detect.

4 hours ago, Chinook said:

I live in Loveland now, so the hail missed me. Fort Collins and Loveland got above normal precipitation for July. Yay! Today, we have upper 80's probably 90 near I-25, and the smoke from distant wildfires is much worse. Many of our recent days have been a little hazy and cloudy at times, but today, I can't see Long's Peak from Loveland. It is in a world of haze. I think I might even smell smoke, but it is hard to detect.

Ah, you now live in my shopping town :)  Yeah, this haze sucks.  I have a buddy that just returned from hiking around Tahoe and he said it was very smoky and stinky.