SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remainder of May averaging 69degs., about 2degs. AN.   The next 8 days averaging 69degs. also, or just 1 deg. AN.

Month to date is  +4.8 (66.7) and should end at +4.5 or +4.6.(67.0)  #4 or #5 on Top Ten list.

On May 27, 2018 at 8:27 AM, Brian5671 said:

Eastern Canada remains cold and snowcovered (up north).   I'm sure that plays a big role.  Amazing turnaround today with temps dropping into the 50's later on...

All that high pressure is forcing the backdoors to stall out just to the south of New England and Long Island. So the heaviest rains and the flash flooding are focused just to our south and west. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get our first official heatwave this year. The best we have been able to do so far is 2 days in a row of 90. Each warm up gets cut short by the next in an endless series of backdoor cold fronts. Last May 17-19 was the first official heatwave at Newark.

Guess where the backdoors are stalling out

precip_30d_accum_newyork_2018052712.thumb.png.0b44b5b309596e8db08a465e222f6a01.png

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

All that high pressure is forcing the backdoors to stall out just to the south of New England and Long Island. So the heaviest rains and the flash flooding are focused just to our south and west. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get our first official heatwave this year. The best we have been able to do so far is 2 days in a row of 90. Each warm up gets cut short by the next in an endless series of backdoor cold fronts. Last May 17-19 was the first official heatwave at Newark.

Guess where the backdoors are stalling out

precip_30d_accum_newyork_2018052712.thumb.png.0b44b5b309596e8db08a465e222f6a01.png

I think allot of that is a function of geography. I have always thought our climo is much closer to New England then the mid Atlantic 

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think allot of that is a function of geography. I have always thought our climo is much closer to New England then the mid Atlantic 

As long as these troughs keep developing over the Maritimes, we’ll keep getting the backdoors. I agree, our area climate wise is more like New England than DC.

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

During backdoor patterns, we become an extension of Southern New England. When backdoors are absent, the weather is similar to the Northern Midatlantic. 

8 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Another cold day at the beach. After Saturday felt like a July day we have been stuck with April type weather here at jones beach. Big hit to the park revenue 

You guys would have really raked in the bucks if the record heat didn't get stuck in the Midwest. 

It has officially reached 100° in the Twin Cities! This is only the second date in the month of May the Twin Cities have reached 100°. New Records set: Earliest date to hit 100° (106° - May 31, 1934) Record high on May 28 (98° - 1934) Warmest Memorial Day (98° - 1934) #mnwx pic.twitter.com/geA8Ndh7Tr

#Milwaukee sets all-time record high for May today with 95 degrees! Temperature records in Milwaukee date back to 1871. #wiwx #swiwxpic.twitter.com/l3aYfX9qJE

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

You guys would have really raked in the bucks if the record heat didn't get stuck in the Midwest. 

It has officially reached 100° in the Twin Cities! This is only the second date in the month of May the Twin Cities have reached 100°. New Records set: Earliest date to hit 100° (106° - May 31, 1934) Record high on May 28 (98° - 1934) Warmest Memorial Day (98° - 1934) #mnwx pic.twitter.com/geA8Ndh7Tr

#Milwaukee sets all-time record high for May today with 95 degrees! Temperature records in Milwaukee date back to 1871. #wiwx #swiwxpic.twitter.com/l3aYfX9qJE

Wow and Kansas city is +9 and has been above average every day this month

Well at least some people saw the sun today on LI.   I had four good days in a row on the beach here, through Sat.  Hope we are included in the clear tomorrow with a temp. of 80+ 

This opening popped up over LI, but did not extend back west to the City.  Currently some solar rays are in and out around here, but really it is mostly cloudy.

This from 3:30PM:

satvisne_27.png

40 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Well at least some people saw the sun today on LI.   I had four good days in a row on the beach here, through Sat.  Hope we are included in the clear tomorrow with a temp. of 80+ 

This opening popped up over LI, but did not extend back west to the City.  Currently some solar rays are in and out around here, but really it is mostly cloudy.

This from 3:30PM:

satvisne_27.png

Yea we had 2-3 hours of deep blue today 

Archived