Newest Member
    joxey
May 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Sea breeze special today. 71 at Wantagh now.

I'd like to go to the beach but that sea breeze and very cold water makes me want to wait till mid July and beyond. 

Sunny, windy 89 here, dew 51. 

17 minutes ago, dWave said:

I'd like to go to the beach but that sea breeze and very cold water makes me want to wait till mid July and beyond. 

Sunny, windy 89 here, dew 51. 

My old ocean rule was to never go in below the upper 60's. 

14 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

If it's warm/hot I can do 66 and above...way too cold this weekend-water temps in the 50's, no way

Yeah, upper 50's were too cool for me. I enjoyed the upper 60's into the 70's . But the warmer SST"s came with increased jelllyfish and seaweed blooms. 

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, upper 50's were too cool for me. I enjoyed the upper 60's into the 70's . But the warmer SST"s came with increased jelllyfish and seaweed blooms. 

couple years ago, swam in 83 degree water near ACY in August-felt like the gulf of Mexico.

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

couple years ago, swam in 83 degree water near ACY in August-felt like the gulf of Mexico.

Swam in upper 70's waters on the warmest days in Long Beach. Experienced 80's SST's in the shallows near Zach's Bay once on a boat trip. 

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

I remember that year when water temps were way up there. I was at Sandy Hook  it felt like FL water. Based on reports I saw it was about 82 - 84.  

1 hour ago, doncat said:

88/61 split today. Convection giving models problems as RGEM looks pretty wet like the GFS, compared to the dry NAM.

Doubt there’ll be much activity behind the front besides some convective debris rain. The airmass behind the front will be too stable for much since it’ll be the marine layer. Stratus/fog/drizzle is more likely especially near the coast. 

The new parallel Euro has near record PWAT's early Sunday. It focuses the heaviest rains from much of Central and Southern NJ to near the NYC/LI South Shore. Almost looks more like an Alberto PRE than you typical mundane backdoor. So somebody could get an early morning flash flood event where the best slow training sets up. 

https://lab.weathermodels.com/models/ecmwf/ecmwf_parallel.php

pecmwf_pwat_ne_48.thumb.png.d72475aebdcfcaece169a5f949962f91.png

pecmwf_pwat_conus_48.thumb.png.251b1fd9539f828eedb09599043a2b68.png

Archived