Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The Euro has most of the rain from later Saturday into Saturday night with the front. All these backdoors after warm ups are a result of the -EPO battling the WAR. Each one of these NEPAC ridge amplifications is accompanied by a big Canadian High to our north.  This drops the backdoor and flattens the WAR for a few days. Rinse...repeat...

JB had a good writeup about the cold area of water in the N Atlantic favoring cold and snows in Far NE Canada...as we shift to a -AMO we may see cooler Northeastern US and Eastern Canada summers in coming years...

38 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I need it to be dry(ish) on Sunday just south of Hartford. It looks like there's a chance that could happen. Thoughts?

Currently modeling shows an unsettled pattern Sunday, but does not look like a washout at least at this juncture.

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_52.png

1 hour ago, Rtd208 said:

Pretty crazy IMO that we are still getting BDCFs at the end of May, at least it won't be in the 50's. Also the NWS mentioned the potential for heavy rain/storms for the Saturday afternoon thru Monday timeframe with the best potential for heavy rain Saturday night into Sunday.

It’s a good rule of thumb that we have to frequently deal with backdoor/marine layer garbage when there is troughing over the Maritimes and highs constantly build there. Until that changes we likely keep dealing with it. 

14 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

JB had a good writeup about the cold area of water in the N Atlantic favoring cold and snows in Far NE Canada...as we shift to a -AMO we may see cooler Northeastern US and Eastern Canada summers in coming years...

If it wasn't for the -EPO/+PDO/+PMM ridge out West, the WAR would be dominating the pattern completely. -AMO patterns during the summer with a warm SST blob off the East Coast are usually hot. This was the case between 1991 and 1994. Long range models bring back the Eastern trough during the first week of June as the -EPO ridge pulses up again.

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

If it wasn't for the -EPO/+PDO/+PMM ridge out west, the WAR would be dominating the pattern completely. -AMO patterns during the summer with a warm SST blob off the East Coast are usually hot. This was the case between 1991 and 1994. Long range models bring back the Eastern trough during the first week of June as the -EPO ridge pulses up again.

That's one heck of a warm blob-I'd bet we see some good heat at some point this summer

Screen_Shot_2018_05_23_at_9_40_49_AM.png

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

That's one heck of a warm blob-I'd bet we see some good heat at some point this summer

Screen_Shot_2018_05_23_at_9_40_49_AM.png

That warm blob will probably be a magnet for much of the tropical ACE points this season. Most the tropical storm and hurricane tracks were focused in that region from 2013 to 2016. The strong STR and trades really tanked the MDR SST's this month.

catlssta.png.c9b6278780eba1e1eca6b5f8dd45cd47.png

mdrssta.png.12e2bf0093a8a15644585090e5d94e77.png

4 hours ago, jm1220 said:

It’s a good rule of thumb that we have to frequently deal with backdoor/marine layer garbage when there is troughing over the Maritimes and highs constantly build there. Until that changes we likely keep dealing with it. 

Hasn't stopped us from getting a Top 5-10 warmest May. Once again when it got warm, it got really warm. 

Next couple days will follow that warmer pattern.

Next 8 days averaging 72 degs, or 4degs AN.  Remainder of May is also averaging 72degs., or 4.5degs. AN.

Month to date is  +4.3 and should end near there.

Holiday precipitation on the SREF has increased from 1.0" to 1.5", but is more concentrated (to Sat. night).

Another big clash of air masses coming up with the backdoor cold front this weekend. While the cold will have time to modify coming south, parts of Canada just experienced a record breaking late season snowstorm. Looks like much of the rain potential this weekend will be focused into Saturday night and early Sunday. 

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/2018-05-24-may-snow-canada-newfoundland-new-brunswick-california-sierra

An unusual out-of-season snowfall resulted in some unbelievable pictures in Newfoundland and New Brunswick this week. Although snow in May does happen here, this is a rare snowfall so late in May.

Then, Wednesday into Thursday Gander, Newfoundland measured over 13 inches (35 centimeters) of snow which is more than the largest 24-hour snowfall there this winter.

The snowfall at Gander International Airport is also the second largest May snowfall on record and the biggest so late in the season, according to Rodney Barney with Environment Canada.

2 minutes ago, doncat said:

Nam has been jumping around run to run regarding qpf...Euro has been pretty consistent  showing some significant rains for our area...We'll see how 12Z looks.

I always think rain/storms is overdone with back door cold fronts.  Often, it just rolls through dry with a change in wind direction and a deck of stratus clouds...

45 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I always think rain/storms is overdone with back door cold fronts.  Often, it just rolls through dry with a change in wind direction and a deck of stratus clouds...

Compare the 12Z runs of the nam and gfs for Connecticut for example...Nam is basically completely dry, while the gfs has significant rains statewide...take your pick lol.

Euro looks more like the NAM now-fairly dry-some scattered activity later Saturday, but mainly S and W of NYC

mid 60's for most Sunday with overcast skies, but the coolest air is well N and E this run...

-

Monday is in the low to mid 70's region wide and variably cloudy.   Limited precip all 3 days outside of the late day stuff Sat

14 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Euro looks more like the NAM now-fairly dry-some scattered activity later Saturday, but mainly S and W of NYC

mid 60's for most Sunday with overcast skies, but the coolest air is well N and E this run...

-

Monday is in the low to mid 70's region wide and variably cloudy.   Limited precip all 3 days outside of the late day stuff Sat

I'm very weary about precip forecasts once summer gets rolling, exact totals and where they'll fall become much harder to forecast. 

It may end up being dry but I wouldn't guarantee it.

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I'm very weary about precip forecasts once summer gets rolling, exact totals and where they'll fall become much harder to forecast. 

It may end up being dry but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Me neither.   With a front nearby you never know.   I think the one thing that can be ruled out is an all day washout any of the 3 days...

Archived