Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Brooklyn is turning into the rooftop farming capital of NYC.

Being a groundskeeper/horticulturalist in NYC I would have to think there are some pollution issues. Soot ends up on everything here on the UWS. Foliage is often covered in a black coating. I can’t imagine that coating is good for vegetables to be eaten by people. 

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking increasingly dreary and chilly for Sun-Mon this weekend with the continued low heights and highs developing to our NE, causing the backdoor front to come through again. GFS has the backdoor coming through Sunday early AM. Hopefully this doesn't speed up so that at least Saturday is spared.

18 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Looking increasingly dreary and chilly for Sun-Mon this weekend with the continued low heights and highs developing to our NE, causing the backdoor front to come through again. GFS has the backdoor coming through Sunday early AM. Hopefully this doesn't speed up so that at least Saturday is spared.

as long as it's dry I'm happy. May is usually too chilly for the beach anyway so I couldn't care less about it being 80 and sunny personally.  65 and dry is fine.   Been hard to keep up with mowing, weed control and spring planting with all the wet days...

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

...hoping to hit the beach on saturday for the 1st time.. currently

the forecast looks good..lets hope the BD cold front stays at bay..regarding the veggie gardening discussion

i use to partake but the damn deer became unrelenting..so,no mas 4 me.

H/L temperatures for the next 7 days exceed normals both ways, except maybe the 28th.    The Cobb Method (used for snow and precip. type in the cold season), but which is still produced apparently year round,  has highs from  83 to 93 before any BDCF and showers get into picture, starting Sunday.  Saturday is the 93, but I doubt it for anywhere other than Newark.

Been to the beach 6 times myself here in CI, the first being Friday the 13 (4/13 at 82 city, 70 here.)   Will probably be able to double this by the end of the month, since the last days of May look OK, as well as the next 4.  Water approaching upper 50's (56 now) which is good enough for me when combined with a 90 degree day.

12 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I have plenty of room but between the dogs and the abundance of crawly things I have a whole bunch of containers. I have broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, a couple of kinds of lettuce, spinach, carrots, 3 kinds of peppers, cilantro, dill, parsley, lavender, eucalyptus, sage, peppermint, lemon balm, citronella, 3 kinds of tomatoes and 3 kinds of strawberries. Almost all of it was started from seed and is really doing much better than I expected so early in the season. I did have a problem before everything leafed out and flowered, the birds ate all of the early strawberries that had formed so I'm on a delay with those. 

I used all organic soil and the first batch of fertilizer was also organic. Now I collect cuttings when I mow the lawn and put a thin covering over the soil to hold moisture and compost. I don't use pesticides that's why there's stuff like lavender, eucalyptus, citronella mixed in. 

It's really great to see more people getting into gardening; I've been hooked since I grew my first tomato in 2008. I used to do a backyard garden in Dobbs Ferry, although the deer were always a menace as my parents' home backs onto a 300-acre nature preserve which is a haven for all sorts of hungry wildlife. Now I have limited space so I just do a few containers on a backyard concrete patio, and I buy most of the seedlings already planted. I have two types of tomatoes (one cherry and one beefsteak), two types of eggplant, lettuce, arugula, chard, peas, basil, and sage. As you said, squashes do require a lot of space, so that's more difficult. I'm really impressed you grew everything from seed; that's a lot of work. 

I did have a great crop of Waltham Butternut Squash in Dobbs a few years ago, however...really tasty. I also really like to grow red cabbage, although that doesn't do as well in containers. But I harvested like 8 big cabbages back a few summers ago, and those were really tasty. My favorite type of pea is an Indian yellow pea that is very delicate and tasty. I also really like to experiment with heirloom tomatoes...Have you tried Brandywines or Mortgage Lifters? Siberian Early Girl are also a really good varietal, as is the Lemon Boy yellow hybrid tomato. 

You might want to experiment more with composting. Have you tried? In NYC we have municipal compost, which I put out every week. I do a lot of juicing (making some unusual juices with fresh ginger, fresh sage and mint, as well as the standards like carrots and oranges), so I always have a lot of fruit scraps/cuttings. I would love to have access to my own compost pile or compost maker (I had a special bin in Dobbs), but there's simply no room in the Bronx to do that. However, curbside composting is overall much better for the environment as the City can collect far more stuff from far more people, and distribute the finished product to farmers in the whole region.

Next 8 days averaging 71degs., or 4degs. AN.

Month to date is currently  +4 0, so probably little change by the 31st. or June 01 and this will be a +4.0 month.

This would be a mean of 66.4, and about the 5th. warmest May ever.

the warm May can't make up for the cold March and April so the Spring will end up averaging below average...as of Yesterday May is averaging 65.1...if it stays at that level the Spring ends up averaging 51.6...the 1981-2010 average is 53.0...since 2010 the Springs are averaging 54.0...this year will bring that stat down a few notches...

19 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Being a groundskeeper/horticulturalist in NYC I would have to think there are some pollution issues. Soot ends up on everything here on the UWS. Foliage is often covered in a black coating. I can’t imagine that coating is good for vegetables to be eaten by people. 

I started growing some tomatoes, various peppers etc. Ive done in the past but honestly it was really my uncle doing it, I had a backyard and so I said have at it, plant away. This is the first time I'm trying to grow on my own. I haven't had issues with soot or (visible) pollution but these damn raccoons foraging around at night. They don't seem that interested in the garden itself but will make a mess of it walking around. Also the occasional skunk and a possum that makes an appearance. I remember not that long ago these animals were mostly non existent around here.  My theory is its a little more hospitable for them now. 10 yrs ago it was a virtually tree less street now its a much greener place with the Citys tree planting over the last several years.  Its interesting its really makes a big difference in some areas, changes the landscape significantly. 

Pretty good model agreement that Friday and Saturday will be the warmest days of the Memorial Day weekend. We get backdoored yet again for Sunday and Monday. Hard to believe the temperature departure is a warm as it is with all these warm ups followed by cool downs. The record warmth during the first week of the month really tipped the scale

ecmwf_t2max_12_nj_17.thumb.png.40acd046dc38b7724548461bcedacd81.png

25 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Pretty good model agreement that Friday and Saturday will be the warmest days of the Memorial Day weekend. We get backdoored yet again for Sunday and Monday. Hard to believe the temperature departure is a warm as it is with all these warm ups followed by cool downs. The record warmth during the first week of the month really tipped the scale

ecmwf_t2max_12_nj_17.thumb.png.40acd046dc38b7724548461bcedacd81.png

Pretty crazy IMO that we are still getting BDCFs at the end of May, at least it won't be in the 50's. Also the NWS mentioned the potential for heavy rain/storms for the Saturday afternoon thru Monday timeframe with the best potential for heavy rain Saturday night into Sunday.

9 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Pretty crazy IMO that we are still getting BDCFs at the end of May, at least it won't be in the 50's. Also the NWS mentioned the potential for heavy rain/storms for the Saturday afternoon thru Monday timeframe with the best potential for heavy rain Saturday night into Sunday.

If we get backdoored and the front is fairly far S and W of us, I would doubt we get much in the way of rains..usually these are cool stable airmasses dominated by stratus clouds.

40 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

The Euro has most of the rain from later Saturday into Saturday night with the front. All these backdoors after warm ups are a result of the -EPO battling the WAR. Each one of these NEPAC ridge amplifications is accompanied by a big Canadian High to our north.  This drops the backdoor and flattens the WAR for a few days. Rinse...repeat...

Archived