Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The 12z Euro finally puts up the rain shield around the area. Not much rain here over the next 10 days with close to 20" for portions of the Gulf Coast. It will be a real mess for those areas if the tropical system stalls like the Euro shows.

ecmwf_tprecip_east_41.thumb.png.35080125de38af0cc988375a3be0058c.png

Will that increase the possibility of us having hotter temps and especially higher dew points and humidity?

57 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Will that increase the possibility of us having hotter temps and especially higher dew points and humidity?

If the WAR can build enough, then we have a shot at reaching 90 for the Memorial Day weekend. The 850 T's are forecast to be around +16C. 

Im looking at the radar and it appears we won't be getting any rain or showers by me in New City New York,,,,,can anyone vouch for this as I would like to get outside with my son and start staining my deck ASAP / now. The weather has held us back big time and I have some catching up to do,,,,you think it is wise to get out there now and give it hell for a few hours or am I looking at some showers because I don't see that 

38 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Boy it sure doesn't seem like it has been a warm May at all. I think the numbers are lying :P

That's the truth. It's all a result of the first week. The 8th through the 20th was close to normal. But so many days of clouds and measurable rain made it seem colder than it was. Looks like a warmer and drier pattern than the last 10 days to close out the month.

NYC....May 1-7......+12........8-20......+0.6

16 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

It's not so much the overall quantity of rain here in the LHV but the number of wet and grey days so far this month. I'm only about 1.5" above normal but it's been wet at least 16 days so far out of 22 and today will almost certainly have measurable precip before the day is over bringing it to 17.

April showers bring May flowers

59 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

It's not so much the overall quantity of rain here in the LHV but the number of wet and grey days so far this month. I'm only about 1.5" above normal but it's been wet at least 16 days so far out of 22 and today will almost certainly have measurable precip before the day is over bringing it to 17.

I'd agree...hours of clouds and rain have been plenty, actual amounts have been relatively average or so.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

So what does a dreary May bring?

In my case it's a slightly (? ;) ) out of shape frustrated mountain biker that needs some therapy time out in the woods. At least my first attempt at an organic garden seems to be coming along nicely.

Great to hear about your organic garden. What do you grow? I have relatively little room in the Bronx, but I do containers of tomatoes, eggplant, peas, basil, sage...and sometimes squashes or zucchini...I also do everything pesticide free.

19 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Great to hear about your organic garden. What do you grow? I have relatively little room in the Bronx, but I do containers of tomatoes, eggplant, peas, basil, sage...and sometimes squashes or zucchini...I also do everything pesticide free.

Squashes and zucchini in containers, in the Bronx is tuff. They need the most space of pretty much anything (maybe watermelon and pumpkin)

light rain now on the UWS. 

40 minutes ago, nzucker said:

I have plenty of room but between the dogs and the abundance of crawly things I have a whole bunch of containers. I have broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, a couple of kinds of lettuce, spinach, carrots, 3 kinds of peppers, cilantro, dill, parsley, lavender, eucalyptus, sage, peppermint, lemon balm, citronella, 3 kinds of tomatoes and 3 kinds of strawberries. Almost all of it was started from seed and is really doing much better than I expected so early in the season. I did have a problem before everything leafed out and flowered, the birds ate all of the early strawberries that had formed so I'm on a delay with those. 

I used all organic soil and the first batch of fertilizer was also organic. Now I collect cuttings when I mow the lawn and put a thin covering over the soil to hold moisture and compost. I don't use pesticides that's why there's stuff like lavender, eucalyptus, citronella mixed in. 

Archived