Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

11 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

A lot of cloud debris will hold temps back but it'll definitely feel like 90 with increasing humidity and dews.

Very active week, I think some place could easily see 6-8" or more by next weekend.

The Mt.Holly NWS office is becoming increasingly concerned for flooding especially as we had into late week/next weekend. looks like there will also be chances for severe weather as well beginning Tuesday. Looks like an active period for sure.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

The Mt.Holly NWS office is becoming increasingly concerned for flooding especially as we had into late week/next weekend. looks like there will also be chances for severe weather as well beginning Tuesday. Looks like an active period for sure.

Tuesday looks like the one 80's day this Mon-Fri in a sea of backdoors and stalled out warm fronts. So the best instability for thunderstorms will be closer to our area than it was yesterday. If the pattern verifies as wet as the Euro, then we have a shot at our 4th wetter than normal month in a row.

KEWR_2018051300_dx_240.thumb.png.dbd0a0d3acd8eb4f40ee5e695dcc38ae.png

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

3rd May 13th top 10 coldest high temperature in NYC since 2013. The 54 high so far is  a -16 and the low of 52 is a -1. 

NYC May 13th

#5.......53....2017

#6.......54....2018...so far

#10.....58....2013

Yesterday and today have been legitimately chilly.  Feels like April all over again.

47 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yesterday and today have been legitimately chilly.  Feels like April all over again.

It's rare for NYC to have any weekend in May that doesn't reach 65 degrees. A good weather trivia question is what year did it happen last? I believe this is the first May weekend of the 2010's to only reach 63 degrees in NYC.

23 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It's rare for NYC to have any weekend in May that doesn't reach 65 degrees. A good weather trivia question is what year did it happen last? I believe this is the first May weekend of the 2010's to only reach 63 degrees in NYC.

And this after a record warm start to May so the extremes continue. 

Next extreme will be in the rainfall department.

36 minutes ago, bluewave said:

You're probably right, not an easy thing to achieve in May.  That heat was really a tease at the beginning of the month, and it made these raw days with rain and low 50's even harder to deal with lol.

it almost happened last year on two consecutive weekends...it happened on Sat-Sun May 6-7, 1967...55/39...44/41...1967 had a cold May...

12 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

You're probably right, not an easy thing to achieve in May.  That heat was really a tease at the beginning of the month, and it made these raw days with rain and low 50's even harder to deal with lol.

The 94 high on May 3rd at Newark has a chance to be the highest of the month. I believe it would be the first time the May high occurred as early as the 3rd. Most years the monthly high happens mid to late month. 

The 94 high on May 3rd at Newark has a chance to be the highest of the month. I believe it would be the first time the May high occurred as early as the 3rd. Most years the monthly high happens mid to late month. 

If there was clearing tomorrow it could reach 94 in EWR, just looks too cloudy.

3 hours ago, SACRUS said:

If there was clearing tomorrow it could reach 94 in EWR, just looks too cloudy.

We may get enough sun ahead of the storms Tuesday for somebody in the PHL to EWR corridor to reach 90. But still no signs in the models yet of 95 or greater at Newark which would surpass May 3rd. Newark  reached 95 or higher in May only  two years since 2000.

nam_t2m_max_nj_12.thumb.png.c9916685343886090dacdc461e034b26.png

3 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Meanwhile the high is supposed to be low 70s and Ewr is stuck at 60. I'm in myrtle beach flying back wearing shorts :lol:

And we just got delayed 1 hr 15 min due to low clouds

ewr is annoying on light flow days since that spot is so vulnerable to cooling influences from newark bay. a mile west of there can be 5+ degrees warmer

Next 8 days averaging 67degs., or 2degs. AN.

Month to date is    +5.9.   Should be   +5.0 by the 23rd.

Near 60degs. now with no visibilty.

GFS LAMP forecast does not even have 'categorical hourly rain chance' here NYC.   Best chance in and around 8PM.

Archived