joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newark tied the first week of May record high of 94 degrees a few days ago. The only previous 94 degree highs were in 2001, 2000, and 1949. Those were rare occasions when the May monthly maximum temperature occurred so early. The high for the month of May is usually recorded mid to late month. So it will be interesting to see if that small sample size is relevant to this May.

Last 10 May monthly high temperatures and date for Newark

94..5-18-17

96...5-28-16

91...5-26-15

88...5-26-14

94...5-31-13

92...5-29-12

92...5-30-11

95...5-26-10

87...5-24-09

87...5-27-08

Next 7 days up to an average of 66degs., or about 4degs. AN.

Month to date is   +15.2.   At this rate we will still be  +8 by the 14th., more than enough to set a new monthly record if we can end month near this much AN.     My feeling is we enter the Holiday week in record territory and that we have some BN temps. at that time, but still nose in as warmest May ever.    I base this on a warm Week 3 of at least +7.

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I hope this isn’t a sign of tho ha to come. Where the coast has another very dry warm season. 

Seasonal rainfall forecasting is very challenging. Many times the patterns aren't revealed until they are occurring. Summer 2014 featured the 1000 year deluge in Islip. The 2015 summer was dry before that September localized Wantagh flash flood.  Not much to speak of for the South Shore the last few summers. 

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Seasonal rainfall forecasting is very challenging. Many times the patterns aren't revealed until they are occurring. Summer 2014 featured the 1000 year deluge in Islip. The 2015 summer was dry before that September localized Wantagh flash flood.  Not much to speak of for the South Shore the last few summers. 

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I hope this isn’t a sign of tho ha to come. Where the coast has another very dry warm season. 

The models seem to have just as much trouble forecasting rainfall as they do snowfall these days. It seems like many of our heavy rain/severe weather events are not known until the shorter term.

7 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Where's all the rain today-you could see on the models that most of the area would be stuck in an area of subsidence today...not sure what Upton was seeing, but showers won't be happening for most today/tonight.

I didnt notice a single drop of rain today.

14 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

...yeah,but 'SurfFreak', that means great beach weather, no?

13 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

The models seem to have just as much trouble forecasting rainfall as they do snowfall these days. It seems like many of our heavy rain/severe weather events are not known until the shorter term.

Severe and flash flood events with warm fronts usually overperform around NYC and Long Island. We usually do better with cold fronts later in the season when the ocean warms up. Debris clouds from the Midwest often result in busts here for convective forecasts. All these factors result in larger day 2 and sometimes day 1 forecast errors.

The 70.8 average and +11.8 departure is the 3rd warmest first week of May on record for NYC. This is a continuation of the big temperature swings theme which has been going since September.

Top 5 warmest May 1-7 in NYC

#1...72.4....1930

#2...70.9....2010

#3...70.8....2018

#4...70.4....2001

#5...69.9...1949

Archived