SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 13 Severe Threat - TX, OK, LA, ARK, KS, MO, IA

OUGrad05

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of placement of the risk, this day reminds me a lot of April 27, 2014. Stuff expected to light up around the KS-OK/MO-AR border region, with a bullseye over AR. Of course, that ended up going to HIGH, but as impressive and deadly as the Mayflower-Vilonia tornado was, it was the only such storm of the day and a 15% hatched MDT would probably have adequately covered it.

Meanwhile further north, some wind profile issues tempered more significant tornado activity, but there was still the Quapaw-Baxter Springs event.

Ugh so this is odd. A severe thundersnow storm.

5ad0b1028702f_severesnow.thumb.png.daadca02462026ee280c2f9a16fed5c8.png

The National Weather Service in Sioux Falls has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Jackson County in southwestern Minnesota...
  Eastern Nobles County in southwestern Minnesota...
  Cottonwood County in southwestern Minnesota...
  Eastern Murray County in southwestern Minnesota...

* Until 900 AM CDT

* At 818 AM CDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
  extending from near Lake Shetek State Park to near Fulda to near
  Worthington, moving east at 25 mph.

HAZARD...70 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated. At 8 AM CDT 70 mph winds were reported 2
           miles east of Wilmont

IMPACT...Expect considerable tree damage. Damage is likely to
           mobile homes, roofs, and outbuildings.

This storm is actually headed right for me. :o

DaqsiYEU0AAVw05.jpg

To add to that a very high wind report for such storm.

1 N RUSHMORE Wind Report

County, State: NOBLES, MN
  (marker location is approximate)
Lat.: 43.64, Lon.: -95.79
Time: 2018-04-13 12:52 UTC
Wind Speed: 78 MPH

MEASURED BY MNDOT RWIS. (FSD)

Something I find interesting along the dryline is how the HRRR has a fairly favorable bulk shear vector to the boundary. Definitely more favorable than what was originally thought. Could be something, could be nothing.

Believe we are in for quite an active day with watches covering a large portion of the country later today and heaping handfuls of SVR warnings and probably numerous tornado warnings later too. 

12 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Hrrr soundings show some tornado potential in this area. Pretty high sig tor parameters. But obviously that relies on storm mode not getting too messy

That RFD air is going to be as buoyant as a bag of rocks.  Pretty hard to get more than weak tornados when that happens.  The Orf conceptual model supports that.  LCL is sort of a proxy for that but not always.  So sig tor overstates risk. 

5 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

That RFD air is going to be as buoyant as a bag of rocks.  Pretty hard to get more than weak tornados when that happens.  The Orf conceptual model supports that.  LCL is sort of a proxy for that but not always.  So sig tor overstates risk. 

Still think tornadoes are possible. You pretty much discounted that threat. Spc wouldn't put a 10 for fun. I agree that hail and wind will be the main threats but tornado threat is there early on

1 minute ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Still think tornadoes are possible. You pretty much discounted that threat. Spc wouldn't put a 10 for fun. I agree that hail and wind will be the main threats but tornado threat is there early on

To be fair, I did specifically mention NE KS, where I noted a pronounced HHHR helicity swath moreso than I did in SW IA. SW IA may well be the better play.

1 minute ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Even 10% is too high. Activity down in the vicinity of that 15% tor area will become QLCS-ish fairly quickly. A few tors possibly with that given the environment, but not nearly 15% worthy, or even 10% worthy for that matter.

The enhanced risk further north is probably being over-played a bit as well. 

Hopefully no one chasing tries to make a play on a storm in SE. NE/SW. IA/NW. MO...All of that activity will quickly rocket north of the stalled WF.

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

That aforementioned severe storm that produced 70-80mph winds, sig damage, and all of that hail in SE. Minnesota earlier is crazy... Especially with temps/DP's only in the 30's and some snow along with it.

Definitely a rare occurrence for sure.

Reminds me of what happened in that March 2006 storm.  I think there were tornadoes with temps in the 40s and then the 107 mph gust at MLI with temps only in the 40s.

This is NOT a 15% event. Storm mode is a massive issue and I think a 10% hatched would have sufficed. A 5% is comically low especially given the low level shear parameters which should enable tornadoes in the QLCS which will inevitably develop later in the event. Early on I see a discrete/semi discrete storm mode that may be capable of a strong tornado or two given the parameters, but no more than that.

That risk area over AR is for this evening and tonight, not now. I completely understand why it is there and if they get discrete cells down there, it will easily verify given the parameter space forecast this evening after 4pm local. I do think it should have stayed 10% though, but 10 to 15% is not a major jump when looking at probabilities, it is just that it is a categorical jump that people are losing it on.

6 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Even 10% is too high. Activity down in the vicinity of that 15% tor area will become QLCS-ish fairly quickly. A few tors possibly with that given the environment, but not nearly 15% worthy, or even 10% worthy for that matter.

The enhanced risk further north is probably being over-played a bit as well. 

Hopefully no one chasing tries to make a play on a storm in SE. NE/SW. IA/NW. MO...All of that activity will quickly rocket north of the stalled WF.

I agree with down south. But where else would you play up north? That is the play. Storms in ne KS will have some time in warm sector before going north over front

17 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I agree with down south. But where else would you play up north? That is the play. Storms in ne KS will have some time in warm sector before going north over front

I wouldn't play anywhere, which is why I'm sitting at home right now. :lol:

If out there though, I'd try to play something further that's more isolated and south, like something that develops near TOP.

56 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

The 15% hatched for tors is ridiculous. So beyond over-done.

Should be a paste job 5% kind of day.

This is absolutely higher than a 5% day. Come on.

Even a mixed mode will likely give AR problems later on given the environment in the low levels.

Archived