Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 12th-15th Winter Storm

MNstorms

1 hour ago, olafminesaw said:

Why do you have such a flat roof? It looks like enough snow weight that I'd be nervous, although I have no idea what tolerances they have.

I don't think it's flat.  It just looks that way because my house sits on a steep (18 degree angle) hill and anytime I snap a pic of the front, it gives the illusion (I think) the roof is flat because I'm standing so much lower than the house... if that makes sense. 

As far as the weight, it's built for the snow load with 2x6 sidewalls and rafters 16" on center... not terribly concerned about the load.

IMG_3590.thumb.JPG.0baed11de2ea72240705a9008d24d5dc.JPG

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Nothing but flurries left.  Not sure exactly but I estimate between 28-30" fell in 53 hours... north facing ridge here cashes in every time.

If this were earlier in the season, it may rank as my all-time fav storm (especially considering snow depth in place), but that still goes to Nov 10-12 2014 when 36 inches fell.

Now can we move on with spring?!

IMG_5373.thumb.JPG.527eaf63570f0908d1dbb9078f7f6bb6.JPG

Wow!  

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

I really have no words at this point. I mean this is insanity! It might take until mid June for all that to completely melt

Former owners of the house told me they had seen patches of snow on the ground here in June before... very well may be like that this year and at this point, another snowstorm wouldn't surprise me either.  And I can honestly say, there has been pretty much zero spring like days this year... only extended winter.  The positive thing is I'm outside most of the time anyway, so I don't have cabin fever or anything, would just like to move forward.  I enjoy all 4 seasons.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

I really have no words at this point. I mean this is insanity! It might take until mid June for all that to completely melt

There should really be a thread dedicated to the snowmelt (ex. pictures of how long it takes for the snow to melt). I mean, that is madness!

11 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

You have got to be kidding me?  Our UP summer's are like no other.  I enjoy planting things and fishing, hiking, camping, and exploring too much. Snow will be back 6 months from now ya know! :P

Yeah summer in the UP is amazing, I love visiting that time of year!

1 hour ago, (((Will))) said:

No thanks. I am dreading the wait till next winter.

Another reason I'm good with the snow melting, is that the owls are back and there's no food.  The Chocolay Rapture Center in Marquette is urging people to put food for them.  Also Robins have returned to parts of the UP and they are even dying from starvation. Social media is trying to get the word out for people to put the food out they eat as well.  The deer are now struggling even harder to find food in an already long and cold winter where they're more weakened and susceptible. Time to say bye bye to the snow.

13 hours ago, weatherbo said:

You have got to be kidding me?  Our UP summer's are like no other.  I enjoy planting things and fishing, hiking, camping, and exploring too much. Snow will be back 6 months from now ya know! :P

I agree, snow is great for about 4 months, then would rather switch to warmer activities. Michigan has some of the best outdoor activities of any state in the country. Camping, fishing,hiking, boating/swimming and all the awesome state parks.  Usually by Mid February I am already looking forward to warmer months. Unfortunately from Northern Mi to the UP its a lot more abbreviated especially Spring which generally we don't get one compared to southern Michigan more so in the UP.

Archived