Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 12th-15th Winter Storm

MNstorms

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

In the GRB special weather statement, they mention totals could be 30”+ in some areas. 

So the extreme model output looks like it will actually verify in some spots.

Here's something interesting.  GRB now has more snow in April than they got in DJF combined.

Right now I have about 5" of snow on the ground with an 1" of sleet under it. The snow part is actually kind of fluffy for a late-season storm. The sleet though negates it so it is still a pain to shovel. Has been snowing with on and off heavier squalls all day long. I am really happy that im not in Green Bay or Door County right now.

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Looks like snow til you get out into it.

SLEETY.jpg

I'm never shoveling sleet again if I can help it.  Just too much of a pain.  The thing you have to be aware of though when it gets to greater depths is that it can literally lock your vehicle in place and make it difficult to get out.  And it's more resistant to melting than snow.

From NWS GRB:

.CLIMATE...
Issued at 347 PM CDT Sun Apr 15 2018

Historic winter storm brought 15 to 30 inches of snow with locally
higher amounts possible (near Tigerton in Shawano County?). This
storm will go down in the record books as the largest April
snowstorm on record and more than likely one of the largest of
all-time at Green Bay, Rhinelander and Wausau. As of 1 pm, Green
Bay recorded 20.6 inches of snow. This eclipses the old April
snowstorm record of 11.0 inches set on April 4-5, 1977. The 20.6
inches of snow also makes it the third largest snowstorm on
record behind 29.0 inches set on March 1-2, 1888 and the 23.1
inches set on January 8-9, 1889. At least an inch or two has
fallen since 1 pm, thus when the official observation is taken at
7 pm tonight this could become the 2nd largest snowstorm on record
at Green Bay. Stay tuned! As you can imagine, the monthly April
snowfall records at Green Bay, Rhinelander and Wausau have been
shattered.

To put this in perspective, Green Bay received 31.4 inches of
snow from October 1st to March 31st. As of 1 pm today, Green Bay
received 33.1 inches for the month of April or more than half the
winter snowfall.

44 minutes ago, snowcaine said:

Freezing rain has begun and everything beginning to glaze over. Winds gusting like mad. Please change to rain asap I want to keep power 

Yup. Everything's getting coated. With winds this strong it's not going to take more than a few tenths of an inch of ice build up for power problems to start happening.

35 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm never shoveling sleet again if I can help it.  Just too much of a pain.  The thing you have to be aware of though when it gets to greater depths is that it can literally lock your vehicle in place and make it difficult to get out.  And it's more resistant to melting than snow.

Experienced that first hand this morning. Tried to reverse my car, it was stuck. Had to dig my car out of a couple inches of sleet, something I almost never have to do with 6 or even 8" of snow.

It’s bad here. A foot or just a bit more since 8 this morning. Winds are gusting between 30-35 mph consistently. 10-15” more by tomorrow afternoon, with a few more inches tomorrow night likely. The deepest depth I’ve ever seen at my house is 52”. Seriously may make a run for that! This is crazy even for up here just two weeks shy of May!

Right now I see melting out there despite sitting at 0ºC so I must be above freezing. I'm going to be floored if I don't even pick up 1/10th of an inch of ice from this storm...that and the lack of precip so far this Sunday (before the regular rain begins) really is insane. Even if the sleet and ice pellets had been FZRA it wouldn't have come close to the amounts forecast consistently (and just hours before the timerange)...the hourly forecast of the heaviest freezing rain being noon (I checked 3 hours before) didn't produce anything until 45 mins in and that wasn't much! Forecast winds and gusts would've been a once in a 10 year event if true. TWN increased the wind speeds instead of lowering them this morning - I'm not even getting half those values! LOL. What on earth are those models outputting to give me these forecasts.

There was a news article from TWN titled "A storm that lived up to the hype" or something along those lines. I'll share my thoughts on that until its all over however hours later the headline could no longer be found interestingly ;).

well this was somewhat unexpected. Police have shut down some roads in south Mississauga, especially right along the lake. Large trees have fallen and taken out power lines. Still sitting right at 32F at 9pm. Rain is just creeping along the lakeshore but I feel like the middle-northern GTA might be looking at a massive ice storm. Decent amount of Ice on the trees 

Just now, mississaugasnow said:

well this was somewhat unexpected. Police have shut down some roads in south Mississauga, especially right along the lake. Large trees have fallen and taken out power lines. Still sitting right at 32F at 9pm. Rain is just creeping along the lakeshore but I feel like the middle-northern GTA might be looking at a massive ice storm. Decent amount of Ice on the trees 

Yeah I am worried. Wind is howling and the temperature refuses to budge. Models had us safely above freezing by now.

18 minutes ago, snowcaine said:

Yeah I am worried. Wind is howling and the temperature refuses to budge. Models had us safely above freezing by now.

As usual, the models were too aggressive with scouring out the low level cold. NAM did the best job though, as is typical.

YYZ jumped to -0.2c at 9pm. We should hopefully get just enough above freezing in the next hour or so to prevent this from being devastating. At least along/south of the 401; northern GTA may be another story.

Archived