Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 12th-15th Winter Storm

MNstorms

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking likely that we transition from IP to RA fairly quickly, doubt we see more than a couple hours of ZR. It's kind of a fitting end to this winter that we finally get a big system with Arctic air at the surface, and we waste nearly all of it on boring sleet. One last eff you!

Epic mid April storm in the Twin Cities. Airport up to 12.9” as of 7am with light to occasionally moderate snow still falling and expected throughout the day. I believe we have officially set the April snowfall record for single storm and monthly total. It looks and feels like deep winter again, and I’m going skiing today which will be the latest in the season I’ve ever gone. I would love to post pictures and videos but cannot seem to find a way around the size limit?

26 minutes ago, on_wx said:

I am starting to get concerned.

Looks like the only areas to have FZRA so far are Essex County and Chatham-Kent

Its moderate freezing rain in Hanover currently. Now I'm perplexed by this development. How is it that all of you south of me have ice pellets...I should be busting with sleet not FZRA. Concerned that a major ice storm won't pan out?

When I got up I also noticed the winds were not high at all. I wonder if its going to be like Superstorm Sandy here where the winds are quite calm with the rare super gust thrown in. TWN showed wind gusts of 72 km/h this morning and I'm getting nothing even approaching. I have gusts to 29 km/h B) . Other thing is the tiny amount of ice that was on everything from yesterday morning is gone. I'm pretty certain its FZRA as its that silent hard-to-see precip but because of the higher rate I can clearly view it. My TWN forecast remains the same but they increased the winds even more to 86 km/h gusts this aft. and added a bit more freezing rain <_< .

4 minutes ago, ORDIOWPITMSP said:

Epic mid April storm in the Twin Cities. Airport up to 12.9” as of 7am with light to occasionally moderate snow still falling and expected throughout the day. I believe we have officially set the April snowfall record for single storm and monthly total. It looks and feels like deep winter again, and I’m going skiing today which will be the latest in the season I’ve ever gone. I would love to post pictures and videos but cannot seem to find a way around the size limit?

Resize your pic

8 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Its moderate freezing rain in Hanover currently. Now I'm perplexed by this development. How is it that all of you south of me have ice pellets...I should be busting with sleet not FZRA. Concerned that a major ice storm won't pan out?

I'm pretty certain its FZRA as its that silent hard-to-see precip but because of the higher rate I can clearly view it.

If it was freezing rain it would be raining where you are. Is it raining, or are ice pellets falling and bouncing around?

4 minutes ago, on_wx said:

If it was freezing rain it would be raining where you are. Is it raining, or are ice pellets falling and bouncing around?

It was raining 40 minutes ago but it looks like it just changed over to ice pellets over the last few minutes. I would have to go out to see if its mixed with anything. My Obs from 8:45 had light freezing rain.

6 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

It was raining 40 minutes ago but it looks like it just changed over to ice pellets over the last few minutes. I would have to go out to see if its mixed with anything. My Obs from 8:45 had light freezing rain.

Ah okay. We got an initial push of rain too just like yesterday before switching to pellets

3 minutes ago, on_wx said:

Ah okay. We got an initial push of rain too just like yesterday before switching to pellets

I haven't checked the local radar/surrounding obs until now to really see the overview. Comparing my forecast to that of Hamilton's, I now am "suppose" to get a worse icing event than them!! :lmao:

After changing over to a winter storm warning EC put me back into a freezing rain warning. TWN says heaviest will be at noon. I'm skeptical of all of that.

3 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

I'm personally calling "bust" for the freezing rain predictions, at least for Toronto. Rather, it's the ice pellet/sleet storm of the decade. I just don't see freezing rain materializing now, as it seems to be all ice pellets. 

Agreed. Major bust on the ZR.

6 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

I'm personally calling "bust" for the freezing rain predictions, at least for Toronto. Rather, it's the ice pellet/sleet storm of the decade. I just don't see freezing rain materializing now, as it seems to be all ice pellets. 

3 minutes ago, snowcaine said:

Agreed. Major bust on the ZR.

Kudos on EC for lowering their totals last night. They sniffed it out well.

8 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Someone presumed they halved the ice amounts because Saturday's freezing rain didn't materialize and I tend to agree. This morning and still now they have "potentially historic ice storm" in their text. For my county its "Significant freezing rain beginning this afternoon...".

This storm will go down in peoples memory for a long time. The fact that its April 15th and were in the midst of a sleet storm dropping 2-4" maybe 5" (over two days) in some areas is impressive. The next concern will be what does up to 5" of sleet coupled with 1-2" of rain in 12 hours look like? Some serious ponding will be taking place with flooding in the usual areas. 

25 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

I might be wrong but didn't some of the models a couple days ago have us receiving 5-8" of sleet? The high end is certainly not happening but maybe some of the models caught onto the idea that this might be a big sleet storm instead of ice storm. 

9 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

This storm will go down in peoples memory for a long time. The fact that its April 15th and were in the midst of a sleet storm dropping 2-4" maybe 5" (over two days) in some areas is impressive. The next concern will be what does up to 5" of sleet coupled with 1-2" of rain in 12 hours look like? Some serious ponding will be taking place with flooding in the usual areas. 

Just went out to clear the storm drains. There's going to be about 2" of liquid equivalent in our sleet accumulation. Luckily temps won't be warm enough to melt all of it.

Archived