Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 12th-15th Winter Storm

MNstorms

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, outflow said:

Don't trust some of the observation. I can tell by stepping outside that it isn't snowing in bad axe.  sleet freezing rain mix with trees that are icing up despite temps right around freezing. It isn't even dripping anymore off the trees pretty much all freezing on contact. Winds are at 40 so this isn't looking good...

This exactly. At times TWN has the wrong obs for my spot but is correct atm showing light ice pellets. Intellicast shows a bunch of locations as snow and way too cold; it sure isn't snowing. I don't trust the mix radar imagery line(s). I seem to have what you describe (ZR with PL).

49 minutes ago, snowcaine said:

12z NAM gives us nearly 2" of ZR tomorrow morning. Jesus.

The power crews will hate that one! :yikes:

EDIT: Power is already starting to flicker...goodness!

1 hour ago, snowcaine said:

Depends what you mean by bust... by the looks of it, this is going to be a ZR event here. Definitely the outcome I least wanted but should be interesting. HRRR spitting out 0.5" of icing today and that doesn't even include tomorrow's ZR, which was looking like another 0.5"

The 3-5" of pellets in the current EC forecast.  I'll take the under.

12 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

It's a sleety mess out there. Did have a period of ZR but now it's pure pellets. Maybe even a flake or two mixed in from time to time. Roads are not great, even though it's afternoon in mid April.

Similar story here. About 0.5” of pellets down now. Winds are still quite gusty. Judging by looking at the Hydro One outage map there has been more sustained freezing rain in the London to Woodstock area. 

2 hours ago, Minnesota_storms said:

Wow. Up to 18'' for me now? Could be a top 5 snowfall total ever for my area.

StormTotalSnowWeb1.thumb.png.0153c7db39d04a488db2a3c796addc4f.png

Also in a blizzard warning now. In the heaviest snow yet and I can only see about 100 yards.

How much snow do you have already? HRRR says 12-18" for most of Southern Minnesota (with light to slightly moderate snow leaving the area after that)

snku_acc.us_nc.thumb.png.f4f12b585392cbd4be9e2775521fa786.png

41 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

How much snow do you have already? HRRR says 12-18" for most of Southern Minnesota (with light to slightly moderate snow leaving the area after that)

I just went out to measure and it wasn't easy. Somewhere around 3.5-4''. Most of the snow is blowing into the house and burying us in. Lots of drifting.

The secondary wave tomorrow morning is looking more and more likely that it will be primarily freezing rain and sleet across the GTA as the surface retains the cold despite a warmer upper atmosphere. Should see a transition over to heavy rain tomorrow night but until then it's going to be dangerous and extremely treacherous across the entire region. I hope this is the last of winter as I've been ready for warmth for a few weeks now. 

Updated click and point is featuring .2-.4” ice accums tonight with possible higher amounts due to the convective nature of the ZR. Colder air is also filtering in earlier than models are depicting.

Will be interesting to see how the local offices handle it - that amount of ice is definitely enough to cause some issues, especially with wind gusts over 40mph. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Milwaukee should expand their advisory southward.  LOT may need one too for the northernmost counties although actual road conditions may not get that bad.  

Well, 0 for 2 as neither office did that. MKX in particular looks dicey/icy in the southeastern counties that aren't under one.  Climo would suggest it's tough to get ice near the Lake Michigan shore in mid April but I think that will be put to the test.

24 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

I'm getting excited for this. Still have ~40ish inches of snow cover on the ground. If this makes it till May we will have had snow cover in each of the last 8 months.

Keweenaw-Ontonagon-Northern Houghton-Gogebic-Southern Houghton-
Including the cities of Copper Harbor, Ontonagon, Houghton,
Hancock, Ironwood, Kenton, and Sidnaw
340 PM EDT Sat Apr 14 2018 /240 PM CDT Sat Apr 14 2018/

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM EDT /1 AM
CDT/ SUNDAY TO 8 AM EDT /7 AM CDT/ MONDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow and blowing snow expected. Total snow
  accumulations of 14 to 19 inches, with locally higher amounts
  possible.

* WHERE...Keweenaw, Ontonagon, Northern Houghton, Gogebic and
  Southern Houghton Counties.

* WHEN...From 2 AM EDT /1 AM CDT/ Sunday to 8 AM EDT /7 AM CDT/
  Monday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel will be very difficult to
  impossible. Winds gusting as high as 40 mph will cause areas of
  blowing and drifting snow, sharply reducing visibilities at
  times.

I’m gonna say in excess of 2’ falls here at my Location.... counting on being snowed in for a couple days before the plows make it up this way. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Well, 0 for 2 as neither office did that. MKX in particular looks dicey/icy in the southeastern counties that aren't under one.  Climo would suggest it's tough to get ice near the Lake Michigan shore in mid April but I think that will be put to the test.

I’m surprised. Nearly all short range guidance confirms that there will be atleast some accretion into northern Illinois - enough for impacts. The lake influence will definitely be the test. 

Archived